Home

Old school games.

swphreak

I'm talkin' real old school games. Games that were out before most of you children were conceived. Hell, I wasn't even conceived yet when this little gem was released.

Since that Joystiq article, I've been searching the net for other text-based games. Found a couple on various sites, and giving them a try. I'm mostly interested in the simulation or strategy games.

I'm pretty sure most of these games are free or on the public domain by now. You youngin's should give some a try.

Any old timers here have any favorite text-based games?

I didn't do too much text based gaming ... in '82 we were doing some D&D, a bunch of arcade gaming (most of us had licenses by then), and some Apple ][+ stuff (Wolfenstein!).

I was turned off by the 'east. look. west. search' stuff, which resulted in my missing the first round of RPG's back those days ...

Mike

May I say Sam and Max: Hit the Road, I still have my oringinal box and the crimestoppers coloring book. SMI and MI 2 which I had bundled on the Monkey Island Madness Cd (Although I seem to have misplaced it). Thanks to the VDM Sound project I can enjoy Tie Fighter once again with sound (I'll fully enjoy it again when I get my old Logitech Wingman to work with it, as using the mouse is no fun). This isn't really a game in the sense, in fact it was a real pain in the ass sometimes.

I've got a quick question.

I know this technically isn't legal (then again it's not like I'm asking for an xbox game here) but it's so old and good it should be freeware now, does anybody know where I can download Sam And Max. Please. I'll give a cookie.

I've got a quick question.

I know this technically isn't legal (then again it's not like I'm asking for an xbox game here) but it's so old and good it should be freeware now, does anybody know where I can download Sam And Max. Please. I'll give a cookie.

Isn't that against forum rules?

We have an old Colecovision. With Donky Kong.

Win.

So do I. WITH the Atari 2600 expansion, and about 100 or more Atari games.

Double win! ;)

Infocom was an amazing game maker... although I didn't have a PC back in those days to play as many of them as I would have liked. The Hichhikers Guide game was great, as was Planetfall (? I think it was called...)

But I can remember when Pong was new, and people lined up to feed quarters into it.

Like Mike most of my gaming time and money was spent on D&D and at the arcades, though.

I got an Atari 2600 in the late '70s, and the Coleco a few years later. Then I later got a Coleco ADAM.... that was kind of a mistake... But even so: That truly was the golden age of gaming! :) [/sappy nostalgia]

Back in the Philippines all we had to play with were sticks and stones XP

I'd never even really heard of a video game or an "actual computer" (we had one that could solely do word processing, but nothing else) until I moved to the US

Psh, sheltered lad :p

We've had a computer in the house since I've been alive, including the internetz zomg!

My dad was a computer coder/programmer/program fixer at the time and he used to have to drive an hour to the city (Chicago) if a problem came up in the night. So, shortly before I was born, he buckled down, spent 2000 dollars for a top of the line x386 computer and got a basic internet service.

My cousin who is 7 years older than me loved that computer, and introduced me to Wolfenstein 3D when I was properly coordinated, much to the dismay of my mother. Something about seeing a 6-year-old shooting people is frightening, I suppose.

Archived