Home

Yes. Sony Must Be Crazy !!

Astrotoy7

I'll get one, and then trade it for a new house.

I'm sure we can work something out;)

*hands Ztalker $5* Does he have a manual, and does he know Kung Fu?

I think the GRID lab (arcade) will be getting both systems, so as long as they liscense enough games I won't need to buy either, but if I do it'll be a wii just because it's so dang cheap.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it seemed not only unlikely, but highly impractical :p

Im still hanging out to see what sony's spin doctors will come up with. Maybe something like:

"Its not a console - its a PC, but you cant actually use it like one" :p

mtfbwya

We at Sony would like to introduce a revolutionary new gaming console--so revolutionary that we had to drop the price to $999 to bring it to you, our loyal customers (even though it means our profit is only $599 instead of whatever we thought we could milk you for, but we will make the sacrifice!).

We are proud to announce that it has improved memory--store at least 2 more save games!! It also has ports for 2, yes 2, of our ergonomically designed (complete with fans) hand controllers. The game slot will fit all our standard games. Adapters for our special games are sold separately at the very reasonable price of $200, because we care about you, our customer. We've added some little doors and blinking lights on the side to make it look like it might become a functional almost-PC in the future (additional parts sold separately) because you, the consumer, demanded that something at this price point be more useful than a plant stand. We are delighted to bring it to you in the standard colors of black. And black. Only $100 more if you want red, blue, green, white, or yellow. We can do the custom color of a mauvey shade of pinky-russet for only $500 more.

How's that? :D

The Wii is making a more appealing debut at about $350 AUD (lynky can correct me if this is incorrect!)

Wii is looking to be 250AUD - 300AUD at the very most. I doubt it'll be anywhere NEAR 300AUD.

I won't buy a Wii because my issue with Nintendo isn't they don't make a good system it's that they don't get great games. Seems like they stick to kid games. If the Wii can produce adult games I'll buy it.

As for the whole Nintendo is teh kiddie thing. We're getting Red Steel and Heroes (Wii exclusive from Suda51, the guy who created Killer7). Wii also has Call of Duty and EA has brought over the Godfather. Wii will be getting it's own Resident Evil title, etc, etc, etc. The GameCube has plenty of "adult" titles too, it's just that people are too stubborn to look and see that they even exist convinced that Nintendo MUST be for kids only.

Buy, don't buy, but don't claim that because it's Nintendo ,all the games must have fuzzy cartoon characters in them.

The PS3 is selling for $999 AUD ($748 USD)? The rumor is the U.S. price points are $500 USD and $600 USD. Sounds like the Aussies may be getting gouged on this one.

Australia's population is tiny, around 21 million. Think about it.

As for the whole Nintendo is teh kiddie thing. We're getting Red Steel and Heroes (Wii exclusive from Suda51, the guy who created Killer7). Wii also has Call of Duty and EA has brought over the Godfather. Wii will be getting it's own Resident Evil title, etc, etc, etc. The GameCube has plenty of "adult" titles too, it's just that people are too stubborn to look and see that they even exist convinced that Nintendo MUST be for kids only.

Buy, don't buy, but don't claim that because it's Nintendo ,all the games must have fuzzy cartoon characters in them.

:rofl: What took you so long? :smirk2:

Australia's population is tiny, around 21 million. Think about it.
:confused: ***Thinks for a moment or two***

Sony thinks 21 million potential Australian customers should pay $200 AUD more to get a PS3 than 300 million potential American customers? Sounds like we Yanks are getting some seriously preferential treatment. Of course Sony may chalk it up to economies of scale or somesuch but unless there are significant differences between the Austrailian version of the PS3 and the American version I don't see why there should be such a great discrepancy in the price Australians pay vs. the price Americans pay.

An article from next-gen.biz that quotes Sony CEO Howard Stringer. The article's price references are in USD.

Regarding the $500 and $600 PS3 price points, Stringer told a Tokyo press conference, "The price of the PS3 is high, but you're paying for potential."

He added, "Obviously, it's a higher-risk strategy--as all new inventions are--but if the PS3 lives up to its total potential, then I don't think anyone will be worried about Nintendo or Xbox's cheaper price."

Sony's pricing route has garnered criticism from investors and gamers alike, as onlookers speculate whether or not gamers will look past the PS3's price to recognize the perceived "potential."

The Xbox 360 core pack sells for $300, while the premium pack sells for $400. Nintendo says its Wii will not exceed $250 in the US.

"Do you go for a cheaper transitional [product]," Stringer inquired, "Or do you take a chance on future-proof, higher technology which will keep you going for many, many years?"

Yeah, go ahead and put on the "brave trailblazer" front there, Howie. We all know how night after night you keep waking up in a cold sweat with a recurring nightmare where mountainous stacks of PS3's surround you and nobody is around to buy them. All you can do is hope your huge gamble pays off and the nightmare doesn't turn into reality, heh-heh-heh. :dev11:

I think you're forgetting a very important factor their cut... 100% of Australians aren't gamers. I would guestimate that percentage to be about 15% TOPS. It's not just Sony who does this, it's every company. The amount of consoles and games sold down here because of our low gamer population raises the prices of games. We just don't have the population to support the lower prices that other countries get. Our new games (PS2, GCN, Xbox) cost around 80-100AUD each, DS games cost 60-80AUD, I think PSP is around that mark too, GBA cost 30 - 50AUD.

You may not see why games and consoles cost more down here but like I said, hardly any consoles are sold down here compared to the US and Japan, the countries gamer population is just too small.

So your new games cost $80-100 AUD ($60-75 USD)? Sounds like Aussies pay a consistent 20-25% more than Americans do for their video game habit. Meh. I still think that if I could play a game bought in the U.S. in a console bought in Australia and vice versa then there is no good reason why Australians should pay that much more for their video game h/w and s/w. The games are produced in the same factories. The consoles are produced in the same factories. So they ship fewer units to Australia than they do to the U.S.A. I still don't see how that justifies a +20-25% cost adjustment.

But whatever you say, Lynk. After all, you are the one that lives there. I am but one of many who aspire to visit someday. ;)

Great Googulley-Moogulley!!! Then I guess that means Aussies get stuck with paying 20-25% more than the Yanks do for their video games. If only Australia had gone with UTSC instead of PAL. The rest of the world goes metric standard. Americans stick with English standard. The world uses GSM for mobile phones. Americans go with CDMA (well at least not all mobile phone companies use CDMA). I just don't get it.

Oh well. I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. :giveup:

So your new games cost $80-100 AUD ($60-75 USD)? Sounds like Aussies pay a consistent 20-25% more than Americans do for their video game habit....

this is true. This probably why its moreso the norm to hire/trade/rip/leach/modchippify here rather than buy.

Even in pc parts, my recent CPU upgrade cost $200 less(postage included) bringing it in from the US, as opposed to buying one here even from a wholesaler :(

@Jae - like that spin !

@Howie/article

seeing sony are so keen to future proof us all, then Im sure they'll be pleased when everyone waits until the future to get one.

man, how could he even use the term : "buy potential" .... its a damn gaming console, not real estate :p People will buy something if it has games they like and they can get away with it reasonably cheaply. ie. NOT the cost of buying a PC, which everyone cant afford.

I wonder if MS and Nintendo are having crazy cocktail parties to celebrate Sonys stupidity :p

@Lynky, i'll bet you a burnt sausage that Wii will launch at at the $300(or more) mark, but definitely not under.

Most places are still selling the DS at just under/at $200. I doubt they will miss cashing in on the market swing they'll be getting from sony converts.

As for me, im still leaning to the 360, and the wii a bit later on if I can figure out what games it has that I want. In the meantime, my pc seriously outclocks anything anyone can throw at it :D

mtfbwya

this is true. This probably why its moreso the norm to hire/trade/rip/leach/modchippify here rather than buy.

The funny thing is that this is exactly why prices are higher in the first place, remember that prices for games used to be much lower than they are now, but the impact of people ripping off games is what has ultimately brought prices up.

@Lynky, i'll bet you a burnt sausage that Wii will launch at at the $300(or more) mark, but definitely not under.

Most places are still selling the DS at just under/at $200. I doubt they will miss cashing in on the market swing they'll be getting from sony converts.

Betcha it's 250-270AUD, but yeah if Nintendo want to they can easily sell it for 300AUD down here and there's a chance they will, but the 250 mark would be the sweet spot for us, provided we hear in September that Wii is going to cost 199USD.

As for the DS, that's the DS lite you're talking about, the original DS sells for 120-140AUD.

i've already made up my mind that if i do get a console for any reason, it will be the Wii. the 360 and the PS3 are just too much of an evolution in terms of gaming. the Wii is truely revolutionary, and it costs a heck of a lot less than either the 360 or the PS3. you can't ask for much more than that.

well, actually, you can ask for more: my PC. :p

The GameCube has plenty of "adult" titles too, it's just that people are too stubborn to look and see that they even exist convinced that Nintendo MUST be for kids only.

Lynk,

Hey now, I said 'fluffy' not 'fuzzy'. ;)

I don't hold some bias against Nintendo. They just do a poor job of marketing their other titles. I'm not to stubborn to look. My issue with Nintendo isn't that the don't have good games because they do. PRoblem is the games they have that I want are also on both XBox and PS(just like the games you mentioned). I'm talking exclusive content. That's what sells me on a system.

Most of nintendo's exclusive content has fluffy characters. Nintendo has always been this way.

Now with developers excited about the 'Wiimote' (or however they say it) I'm sure they'll not only get good games for the Wii but interesting ways to play some of the ports.

But I must be the only person in the world right now that's not that excited about playing a game with a remote control. :) Sorry.

next-gen.biz[/url'> that quotes Sony CEO Howard Stringer.]

"Regarding the $500 and $600 PS3 price points, Stringer told a Tokyo press conference, "The price of the PS3 is high, but you're paying for potential."

Your not paying for potential you are paying for a blu-ray disc drive. Which is not only expensive but movies that come out on it are likely to be 50% more in price then normal DVD's. Yay for ripoffs!

next-gen.biz that quotes Sony CEO Howard Stringer.]

He added, "Obviously, it's a higher-risk strategy--as all new inventions are--but [i[]if the PS3 lives up to its total potential,[/i] then I don't think anyone will be worried about Nintendo or Xbox's cheaper price."

He first states you are paying for potential but the PS3 might not live up to it. So hes trying to make sure people who buy the console knows it might not be good?

@ Hannibal: That is changing with Sadness, Red Steel and Heroes. There are more "mature" level games being created that are exclusive to Wii. And I doubt any of them will be ported since their controls will be impossible to convert over to the 360 and the PS3's motion sensing attempt.

• 1 month later...

And has anyone mentioned the chance that the Wii has a Star Wars game where the Wiimote controls the lightsaber? That should be enough for you! Not to metnion, since the last post this thread, the Wii's price has been rumored to be closer to $200 now.

And uh, Lynk? Is that an avatar of Samus getting raped or something?

1. The first thing most ppl thought when they saw the Wiimote was "Star Wars lightsaber game" and while LucasArts is being stubborn, it may happen in the future.

2. Previous Nintendo consoles have been 199USD, so naturally most people have been assuming all this time that Wii will be the same.

3. You tell me what's going on in my av :p

At this point in time the PS3/Wii/Xbox360 generation is up in the air we don't know who will come out on top.

So yeah, "you" might be a winner. This generations race may actually get interesting like the days of the Genesis VS SNES.

It will be interesting to see how the PS3 does compared to mostly the 360. I think everyone expects the Wii to do very well.

I think I'm going to be the only one on these forums to pre-order a PS3 :xp:, I'll let you all know how it turns out. I might pick up a Wii a couple years after it's released, see what type of games are out for it. As far as a Wiimote lightsaber, I still think that is the dumbest idea ever.

Archived