Home

LucasForums

Diego Varen

This Thread is all about what we like about LF and what can be done to improve it. Here is what I think:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What I Like:

1. Most Members are great to talk with on LF and I find it easy to make friends with on LF.

2. The LF Staff are very helpful whenever anybody needs help. If you get on their good side, they're also good to talk with.

3. Rules. Many people follow them compared to the other Forum I'm part of. On the other Forum, I've seen at least ten people banned and other people are trying to cause trouble. That hardly happens here.

4. The CEC is one of the greatest Fanfic Forums to go on. On my other Forum, whenever myself or someone else writes Fanfics, people come up with good excuses to tell them how bad it is and not saying much good things. Here people tell you how to improve, etc.

What Needs Improving:

1. Whenever you want to search for anything else, you have to wait 60 seconds before starting another search.

2. Custom Title. Maybe some people can't be bothered to get up to one thousand posts, before having a Custom Title. For me it seemed to take forever.

3. Unable to delete Threads/Posts in other Forums, such as the Battlefront one.

4. Hard to edit posts sometimes, when you want to Bold Text and it won't let you, so you have to type in the command to get in Bold.

So post about what you like and what needs improving on LF. Enjoy.

edit by d3: I removed some of the ----- as they seem to mess up the forum layer for some users

Edit: Thanks Darth333. Sorry about that, I just like using the -----.

Thanks for the feedback Pottsie.

1. Whenever you want to search for anything else, you have to wait 60 seconds before starting another search.

This 60 second delay isn't there for fun but to reduce server load and maintain a decent speed on the forums. This is not an uncommon measure and several forums make use of it.

2. Custom Title. Maybe some people can't be bothered to get up to one thousand posts, before having a Custom Title. For me it seemed to take forever.

We used to have pretty cool titles before the switch to vb3 but it was a custom hack and while we'd like to bring it back, it seems to be a complex job. However, it's not totally off the agenda as you can see here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=165144

3. Unable to delete Threads/Posts in other Forums, such as the Battlefront one.

Count you lucky as we wanted to add this "feature" here too but we ran into a bug :p

Other forums give you a period of time to delete your posts/threads. After that period, only the staff can do it (although the post remains there you can still edit and delete its content if you wish). We wanted to prevent members from deleting threads once someone else has answered. One of the reasons to this is that if you delete your thread, you can also delete other people's posts and reduce their post count. In the past, some people have deleted very lenghty threads simply because they didn't like the answers. Other's posts shouldn't be deleted unless there is a good reason to do so.

[edit: ohhhh just found that the so called bug is cused by custom permissions...so it can be removed. We'll leave the feature on however as long as people don't abuse it. It can be useful to delete accidental double posts]

4. Hard to edit posts sometimes, when you want to Bold Text and it won't let you, so you have to type in the command to get in Bold.

Yup it seems that some buttons don't work when you edit posts. I don't know if it will be fixed in the future but it is a "lesser" vb3 bug (I must admit that I never use the buttons :p ).

Actually, vB 3.6 isn't anything that special, as far as features are concerned. At least, features for the members. Most features are accessible only by the staff. The Infractions System is of particular interest.

Yah, I'd agree...

End-users wouldn't see much unless alot of "frilly" options were enabled.. about the only main thing users would get out of it would be a WYSIWYG style of posting.

True, it would make it more convenient for those who aren't familiar with the VB code tags.. but considering the downtime LFnet had during it's v3 cross-over.. I think I could live without the interface.. hehehe

VBcodes aren't that hard to memorize once you see how things are encapsulated...

VBcode list:

http://www.lucasforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

I don't really care about the WYSIWYG editor, I know all the vbcodes by heart. I like the rep system in vb 3.5 and in 3.6 theres multiquote which looks pretty cool too. And yeah, I like the built in warning system :D

But I doubt we upgrade, it took forever to upgrade from vb2. I do like LF how it is though, not much needs to be changed :)

I don't really care about the WYSIWYG editor, I know all the vbcodes by heart. I like the rep system in vb 3.5 and in 3.6 theres multiquote which looks pretty cool too. And yeah, I like the built in warning system :D

But I doubt we upgrade, it took forever to upgrade from vb2. I do like LF how it is though, not much needs to be changed :)

Oh I agree. I like LF and I wouldn't like it to change, although there are some "minor" things that need changing.

Simi-off topic, but this thread reminded me of it. A while back, someone posted a website that archived the changes in forums. It had screenshots of the way the forum used to look. Back then, LF was still running v2, so it was exaclty the same.

Anway, anyone remember that? I'd like that link if anyone has is. It would be kinda neat to see how LF looked on the old v2. Its funny because I remember how when they made the change, everyone was saying how the "new" forums would take getting used to. I, for one, can't even picture the old forums anymore. hehe

As far as switching to v3.6, I don't see why. It might fix a few bugs but chances are it would introduce new ones. heh. The forums are great as they are. Sure, a bug or two here and there, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Makes me feel like a Nublet.

Anyway Things i like about the forum:

The interface.

The Admins, friendly.

The socialness. (?)

I also like the title when you reach a 1000 posts as i beleve when you have a custom title, you shed your nub-ness and gain huge kudos with the admins and they invite you to parties and things.

---------------------------------

What i don't like:

The layout of the rules. Very hard to find a list of things like signiture restrictions.

Signiture restrictions. I sometime feel you should allow for people (me primarily) to have slightly bigger signiture, i spent hours on my mon cal sig and am very proud of it only to find it's in violation. :(

That's pretty much it.

We're working on it. In fact we want to add the rules to the main swk forum page. I was supposed to take care of that a few weeks ago but we had some electricity problems caused by storms and when things came back to normal, I forgot about it.

*re-added to my todo list* (I wish days were 36 hours long sometimes :p )

Well, when it comes to what I like about this forum, I think it's all probably stated above by other people so I won't repeat it, now as for that custom title - I remember when I found out that you have to reach post 1000 to get that option I was really... well annoyed, I suppose, but now that I've reached that 1000th post it just made the feeling a lot better, like you've accomplished something (even if it's as trivial as reaching post 1000 to get that option), thanks to that little objective I've discussed a lot more topics than I would have without it and I've enjoyed it. Now, what I suggest is a compromise - reduce the requested post number to... say 500 instead of 1000, that way it'll still have the same effect it had with me, but some people will find it easier that way and be more encouraged to participate in more discussions, I guess.

frankly, i didnt mind about the 1000 post limitation when i was still 1000-, but the Registered User thing psyched me out. you caould at least have put a single, forum-specific title, like "Ahtonaut" or "Entertainee" or somesuch. thankfully, the admins are (presumably) working on retrieving the titles.

The custom title is meant to be an extra feature awarded to Lucasforums' most active members. By now Lucasforums is so big and has so many members that many users have the feature, and by lowering the requirement it would make it less of a reward, I think. Besides, if it's that important to you, it just gives you extra incentive to take part in discussion.

The 1000 limit has been discussed among the staff in the past and it won't be lowered.

Since we all know too well that you want some ranks and we've explained that it's being looked at, can we use this thread for other suggestions now? It's getting a bit redundant.

Well I have some Threads that can't be deleted. Several of these are Locked and others are just some that can't be deleted. I've PM'd a Mod (RedHawke) a while ago and asked him to delete the Threads. Nothing happened. Today I asked D333 to delete them and still nothing has happened. I wouldn't ask, but if I could delete my Locked Threads, etc, then I wouldn't need to.

I answered your PM but I just noticed that for some reason, it has not been sent. Check your PMs in a few minutes. Also see my post above (post #2) concerning the thread deletion feature. The feature has been granted to allow members to delete accidental double threads and the like, not to delete any thread at will once other members have posted in it as it messes out other members post count.

However, deleting locked threads is out of question.

I know that site you're talking about, lemme see if I can find the link on google...

EDIT: Found it: the wayback machine

Cool. I forgot I posted in here a few days back. hehe

Thanks DM.

Actually, this reminds me of something. I miss the birthdays at the bottom of the screen. I thought I remember seeing them on v.3.5 for a bit, but I could be mistaken. Its a small thing, but thats the only thing I would suggest.

Archived