Home

Pet Peeves

milo

Does anybody have any pet peeves? I mean, something that really grates on your nerves.

Yeah, sycophants who can't think critically about anything and who respond poorly when others do; and self-appointed forum police who think they can do the job better than the moderators.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is a legend

I hate you.

No I don't, you're an okay guy, but I can't allow Barry Scott references to go unchallenged.

Barry Scott must die for the greater good of humanity. Every day he continues to exist jeapordizes our gene pool immensely. I greet every new day fresh with hope and enthusiasm that maybe...just maybe today will be the day that Barry Scott gets gored to death by a pack of African Rhinos or something.

Also, I have remembered something else worthy of my bottomless ire and hatred: British auto insurer commericials. All those years as a motorist in British Columbia moaning about ICBC failed to prepare me for the full horror of insurance privatization. I am guilty of taking ICBC's monopoly on car insurance sorely for granted during those carefree years; little did I realize the terrible alternative was private insurance companies doing their own ads on TV. The people responsible for the ad campaigns for the following companies should be dragged into the streets and boiled alive in year-old chip fat: Sheila's Wheels, Churchill ("Awwww Yes!" DIE!), Axa, The Admiral, and probably a lot of others I can't remember right now.

Things that annoy me are older people who hate younger people in net games. People who say the typical comments like "Oh a typical bunch of teenage players, figures" and "I hate all these 19 year old idiots who ruin the game" normally they are right but im a teenager and i never act like an idiot while playing a game. Yet still i get this sort of crap all the time.

OMG, same here.

But typically, due to my (our?) behavior in-game, and their lack of my (our?) knowledge of our actual age, it usually isn't an issue.

Poor spelling on the Internet!

Argh!

Hah, got that one. :p

Let me expand a little bit.

Chatroom- place to chat, make short sentences, fool around, spam friends, etc. Typical length per message: ____________________________

Forums- place to have civilized conversations, debates, and fun, without the afore-mentioned. Typical length per message: this entire post.

It is pitiful to see people who still fail to grasp that.

Foreign people who operated the drive-through. You can hardly understand what they are saying!

I hate that! Ok, I live in the US, and my dad still has a really strong New Zealand accent from growing up down there. Whenever we use the drive-thru, I find it so rude when some Mexican guy on the other end says something like "Can you speak up please? I can't understand you." It's downright disrespectful, and hey, we can hardly understand that Mexican guy.

And those you fail to spell properly on simple words.

Look who's talking :p

DQK out

I hate you.

No I don't, you're an okay guy, but I can't allow Barry Scott references to go unchallenged.

Barry Scott must die for the greater good of humanity. Every day he continues to exist jeapordizes our gene pool immensely. I greet every new day fresh with hope and enthusiasm that maybe...just maybe today will be the day that Barry Scott gets gored to death by a pack of African Rhinos or something.

There's a guy kind of like that in the US. He does oxy-clean commercials, and has that same kind of speech, as though he's half shouting. Annoying as hell.

Foreign people who operated the drive-through. You can hardly understand what they are saying!
I hate that too. There's not a single person working at Dairy Queen who speaks decent english. Drives me insane.

Ooh, I have a truly annoying one.

Blogs. I could go on for days about this one. It's probably one of the things in this universe that irritates me the most. Why on Earth should anyone care if you ate a pizza yesterday and it tasted good? Why should anyone care if you bought new betteries for some gadget no one cares if you own? Why would I want to know if you took a trip to the beach yesterday? I'd shut down all those horrid blogs if I could. A web site was posted a while ago here (by jmac I think) that expressed my feelings towards those sites perfectly.

Go for it Jimmy, I'd love to hear your complaints. :p

It is pretty depressing though, really.

Blogs. I could go on for days about this one. It's probably one of the things in this universe that irritates me the most. Why on Earth should anyone care if you ate a pizza yesterday and it tasted good? Why should anyone care if you bought new betteries for some gadget no one cares if you own? Why would I want to know if you took a trip to the beach yesterday? I'd shut down all those horrid blogs if I could. A web site was posted a while ago here (by jmac I think) that expressed my feelings towards those sites perfectly.

If they bug you so much, why bother with them?

DQK out

@ DQK - Touche. :p I never proofread. XP

I also find it quite annoying when people fail to put things back where they belong. Specifically at the library (I work at one), when people take a book from the shelve and then put it on a seperate shelve. Then, we (the pages/book shelvers) have to find them and put them back.

It's bloody annoying.

I think it was something by Maddox. I'll try to find it.

edit: is this what you were talking about?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

(language warning?)

Another one. Wikipedia. "I'll just look up what the name of the closest solar system to ours is..." 5 Hours later i came out loaded with all the information of what will happen from the year 2007 right upto the year 9 Billion after the earth has long gone, i now understand the entire story of 2001 Space Oddysey and all related sequels and i know more about Admiral Ackbar than Admiral Ackbar.

In short, Wikipedia should be certifcated as a Class-C drug.

Go for it Jimmy, I'd love to hear your complaints. :p

Here goes... NOTE: for the sake of everyones sanity I'll just name the things that piss me off and not the reasons. ALSO: these are just some of the many things that insessantly annoy me.

Fruit.

Snobs.

People who only speak leet. Seriously, STFU. we don't wanna look at that crap.

Everyone else on the road. :p

Pickles.

Golf.

Cricket.

France.

Julia Roberts.

Cooked mushrooms. (raw is okay.)

Scratched Cd's.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

Onions.

Spiders.

Mosquitoes.

Fly's.

Public toilet paper.

Tomatoes. Seriously the list goes on....

Wow, I agree with all that stuff, except for the bolded ones:

Fruit.

Snobs.

People who only speak leet. Seriously, STFU. we don't wanna look at that crap.

Everyone else on the road.

Pickles.

Golf.

Cricket.

France.

Julia Roberts.

Cooked mushrooms. (raw is okay.)

Scratched Cd's.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

Onions.

Spiders.

Mosquitoes.

Fly's.

Public toilet paper.

Tomatoes.

Got a lot of food on there Jimmy, are you the picky eater or what? Oh yeah, that reminds me. My least favorite food is

POTATOES!

boil 'em, mash 'em, space 'em into space...

My #1 pet peeve is the way society typically treats people who have

disabilities. I have cerebral palsy myself, and I did not view the kid at

school calling me "retarded" in the Kreia-esque light of "an opportunity

for struggle and growth." I wanted to have a fist-fight with that kid.

The only reason I didn't call him "retarded" back is that I didn't want

to do the crap to him that he did to me. After all, someday the shoe

could be on the other foot, and I don't want to act like a jerk and

call him names even if he did that to me back when I was in school.

I have balance issues. I walk funny. People notice. That's just natural.

I fall down a lot, and I feel embarrassed. I like it when people offer help,

though if they sound patronizing or condescending, I won't accept it.

I am NOT the "R" word. I can think. I can learn. I can write. So can a lot

of my friends with disabilities, though a lot of other people (ESPECIALLY

doctors) label them with the "R" word. It's now an insult, not just a diagnosis.

The "R" word or "MR" word (mental retardation) is my #2 pet peeve. Sure,

it may be "better" than the old medical terms "idiot" and "moron" (I kid you

not), but who wants to be called "retard" when walking down the street?

My #3 pet peeve: Fanaticism on the part of ANY religion or political group.

My #1 pet peeve is the way society typically treats people who have

disabilities. I have cerebral palsy myself, and I did not view the kid at

school calling me "retarded" in the Kreia-esque light of "an opportunity

for struggle and growth." I wanted to have a fist-fight with that kid.

The only reason I didn't call him "retarded" back is that I didn't want

to do the crap to him that he did to me. After all, someday the shoe

could be on the other foot, and I don't want to act like a jerk and

call him names even if he did that to me back when I was in school.

I have balance issues. I walk funny. People notice. That's just natural.

I fall down a lot, and I feel embarrassed. I like it when people offer help,

though if they sound patronizing or condescending, I won't accept it.

I am NOT the "R" word. I can think. I can learn. I can write. So can a lot

of my friends with disabilities, though a lot of other people (ESPECIALLY

doctors) label them with the "R" word. It's now an insult, not just a diagnosis.

The "R" word or "MR" word (mental retardation) is my #2 pet peeve. Sure,

it may be "better" than the old medical terms "idiot" and "moron" (I kid you

not), but who wants to be called "retard" when walking down the street?

I'm putting you on the idol thread, I'm very impressed that you can put up with that kind of thing. No, I'm not patronizing, just sincere (something my own friends lack). :)

But please excuse my ignorance, what is Cerebral Palsy? I get that the cerebrum is part of the brain, but that's all.

I'm putting you on the idol thread, I'm very impressed that you can put up with that kind of thing. No, I'm not patronizing, just sincere (something my own friends lack). :)

But please excuse my ignorance, what is Cerebral Palsy? I get that the cerebrum is part of the brain, but that's all.

All I know is that it makes it difficult to control your movements.

I'm sorry to hear that Tysyacha. :(

Archived