Home

Video card madness!

Darth333

Just a few short articles I found about Ati's R600 and nVidia's G80 upcoming chipsets power hungry beasts:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34799

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34772

The nVidia card should be released in about one month and a half and the R600 in early 2007.

I'm seriously beginning to consider building my own electrical substation (wasn't RJM looking for construction contracts?)

Aya Vay! Those are monsters. Just wait until they tell us how much the price is, then you'll see a big number.

last I checked the geforce 7950 1GB card was still over 1000 USD and that card lookes alot more expensive

but I WANNA see the specs >.>

I wouldn't trust the Inquier if i were you. They are known to spread false rumors.

well I just checked Nvidia's site and there isn't a word about it.

they generally have something about thier upcoming cards but nothing as of yet on this one

Ugh! I wish the graphics card manufacturers would take a cue from the CPU manufacturers. That is just way too much power consumption and heat generation to suit my tastes. I live in a desert and I have to spend a lot of money just to keep my house cool. :D

We'll have to wait and see how AMD's acquisition of ATI affects future ATI graphics cards' thermal design.

last I checked the geforce 7950 1GB card was still over 1000 USD and that card lookes alot more expensive

but I WANNA see the specs >.>

Ive got 2 xfx 7950s (yes, TWO) nb. one is on loan from a generous friend whilst I test some nvidia beta SLI drivers.

Mine cost me $580.00 USD. New and selaed. Warrantied up. Ebay is your friend.

Ive had no heating or noise problems.

DX10 card w/cooling option definitely appealing to the 'ubercomputer fanboy/girl', though not really necessary, yet. No DX10 games have been written, PLUS you MUST have Vista installed to play them. Theres another couple of hundred to add to your build cost(not to mention the 700w+ power supply you will need if you want a quad sli setup).

mtfbwya

Ive got 2 xfx 7950s (yes, TWO) nb. one is on loan from a generous friend whilst I test some nvidia beta SLI drivers.

Mine cost me $580.00 USD. New and selaed. Warrantied up. Ebay is your friend.

Ive had no heating or noise problems.

DX10 card w/cooling option definitely appealing to the 'ubercomputer fanboy/girl', though not really necessary, yet. No DX10 games have been written, PLUS you MUST have Vista installed to play them. Theres another couple of hundred to add to your build cost(not to mention the 700w+ power supply you will need if you want a quad sli setup).

mtfbwya

Ebay is my friend indeed hehe

DX10 is gonna kick as though, espacially with dual core and quad sli and all that stuff it's gonna make every console out there obsolete...

Ebay is my friend indeed hehe

DX10 is gonna kick as though, espacially with dual core and quad sli and all that stuff it's gonna make every console out there obsolete...

having played quad sli at 1900x1200 and above and getting 120-180 fps on games like oblivion, doom3 and farcry I can guarantee to you that these next gen consoles cant come close if they tried.

yes, DX10 will kick ass with some sublime lighting effects. Go look up 'crysis' or 'cry engine2' at youtube for a demo.

all your left to forward to in the console world is jumpin around like a moron holdin a monkey a$$ remote joystick :p

I really wonder if there is going to be a 'next gen' beyond this one :p they might as well just be computers, not consoles :(:p

mtfbwya

Archived