Home

Handwriting

RC-1162

Your handwriting is...  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Your handwriting is...

My everyday handwriting is printed due to the need for legibility on the board in my classroom when I was teaching. When I need to write beautifully, I can because I was trained in calligraphy. People compliment me on the way I write my checks all the time. I also taught a semester-long class in calligraphy. Penmanship is sadly going the way of the Dodo, but that doesn't mean that you can't improve. Did you know that often times the way that a prospective employer determines who to hire from equally qualified candidates is based on who had the better penmanship on the employment application?

Same here, I hold my pen in an odd way (although my writing consists of large-ish spiral-like letters and not small letters) and wear my watch on my right hand.

6 years ago my teacher tried to change my handwriting, didn't work at all. I myself tried to change my watch thing but it drove me crazy every time so I just gave up.

My handwriting's not bad. It's kind of weird though. I write sort of a cross between print and cursive, and I never write things the same way twice. Sometimes I'll write letters in cursive, sometimes I'll print them...it's weird. It really messes up my signature too.

I mostly print, but use cursive for my signature. One's in a rare while I'll mix them up a little.

Edit: Don't mean to 2xpost frivoluosly here, but noticed that in the far left bottom corner of my first post there is a green dot, but a red and green one in the others. Is this of any real consequence?

I have such bad penmenship, that I'm surprised that my teachers have not broken down and cried. In fourth grade, my teahcer tried to make me wirte better, but to no avail. You see, it all happened like this: I was basically born amidextrous. I used to just pick up a pencil and write, no matter which hand. My dad was totally against that for some reason. He made me switch to just right (maybe 'cause he's Catholic). So, ever since then, my handwriting has just been plain horrible. I honestly, can't read what I write sometimes, especially when we take notes, and I have to write fast. But, there are few that can write quite as fast as me. I actually don't use the computer for writing assignments, because it always makes them look smaller, so unless its, like, a research paper, I just write it. I don't remember the last time I wrote in cursive that wasn't a signature (by the way, my signature is just some scribbling ;) ).

Alright, well, I'm prolly the most screwed up out of everyone here. My handwriting, no matter print or cursive is un-readable by anyone except myself, and I can only read it if I remember what I wrote. In the 7th grade we had to pass a speed and accuracy typing test on the computer, I didn't pass, I had the slowest and most mis-spelled words in my class. Also, we weren't allowed to look at our hands, and I did, so I got extra points deducted, not to mention I typed with only my two pointer fingers.

So, my handwriting sucks, my typing sucks, but I will say I have gotten better, as far as the typing goes, the only thing is about half the time I spell the word "the", like this: teh.

My handwriting is still awful, slow or fast, it sucks, I tend to use a mix of print and cursive which truly pisses off some teachers, and I've forgotten how to write half the letters in the alphabet in cursive anyway. I'll end this post with, in my opinion the best description of my handwriting and probab;y the funniest of anyone here. Anyway, my old Latin teacher (he had the eye thing and "had" to use medical marijuana), used to describe my handwriting by saying, "It looks like an ant with diarrhea just ran across your f-ing page" (yes he did say the "F word")

My handwriting is still awful, slow or fast, it sucks, I tend to use a mix of print and cursive which truly pisses off some teachers, and I've forgotten how to write half the letters in the alphabet in cursive anyway. I'll end this post with, in my opinion the best description of my handwriting and probab;y the funniest of anyone here. Anyway, my old Latin teacher (he had the eye thing and "had" to use medical marijuana), used to describe my handwriting by saying, "It looks like an ant with diarrhea just ran across your f-ing page" (yes he did say the "F word")

My handwriting is quite similar to yours, Maverick - a mix of print and cursive. Here's the reason -

I was in a kindergarten where we were taught to write in cursive and at that time my cursive was pretty good.

My school, on the other hand had children who came from the school's KG and I was from an independent KG.

So I was forced to wirte in Print, because at that time teachers thought that us kids won't be able to write Cursive well, because most were taught Print. Over time I managed to write in some sort of irregular Print. And then I forgot half of Cursive and I still connect some letters and added extra curls and all, and my handwriting looks awfully bad.

And that's not restricted to the Latin script, even my Devanagari Script, (which was good initially) looks ugly. My Marathi teacher described it as "a number of ants hugging bent wires when they were suddenly squashed by a speeding Ferrari."

Ahh...My handwriting. To me, my handwriting is relatively legible. To the rest of the world it's crude pictograms representing an abstract concept we have no word for. The more rushed I am, the more it increases in size, curves toward the end of the line, and becomes generally illegible until even *I* can't read what I wrote. Then there's my habit of inserting greek letters to speed up the process. It also doesn't help when it's half-obscured by doodles.

As for printing, when you tend to end up with an "E" that looks like a wonky triangle with a line through it, you know it's time to type...

I type almost everything. It's much easier, and it leaves more space on the paper for doodling :xp:

You know, my handwriting hasn't changed per se, but some of the letters take new shape. I find that I used to write t's like they do on the computer screen, with the little thingy at the bottom. Now, I don't. And, I noticed that, in 8th grade, my g started to change to an eight. So, now I write eights for g's.

Archived