Home

System Showcase!!

Astrotoy7

Every tech place has it's little showcase corner where people can show off(or lament) or plan their systems and specs and related bits and pieces.

Here you can post about what you have, or what you'd like to have when it comes to your system.

Here's mine:

We have 7 'computers' at our house.

1. My Personal/Gaming PC

2. Home Theater PC

3. Kids PC - my old compy - amd 64 3200, 256 nvidia grafix.

4. Gfs laptop (actually MY laptop for uni..somehow its hers now :( ! :p ) - a compaq presario - runs intel mobile 1.5 and windows MCE(doubles as an MCE 'server')

5. IBM netvista - Older P3 actually being donated to a refugee student group in a couple of weeks.

6. O2 stealth PDA/phone - running windows mobile 5

7. Asus p505 PDA/phone - running windows mobile 2003 SE

all networked via a secured wired+wired 802.11g (with the help of an absolutely fantastic app called 'Network Magic' - it is!)

A little bit more about my gaming pc and the HTPC

1. Gaming PC: also used for work/uni and personal media center unit

Asus Vento Case (red!) - see pic

Mainboard : Asus A8N-SLI Premium

Chipset : nVidia nForce4

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2400 MHz

RAM : 2 GB RAM

Video Card : Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB (2x512MB) >>> (had to give the 2nd one back now Ive finished Quad SLI testing)

Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (160 GB)

Hard Disk : FUJITSU (60 GB) - external

Monitor: SAMSUNG - 27 inch widescreen LCD at 1360x768

Sound: Altech Lansing 2.1

Input: Logitech MX500 keyboard and MX1000 Mouse (bluetooth)

HDTV Tuner: Avermedia A16AR DVB-T Hybrid

PICS:

vento1ip5.png

monittu2.png

2. Home Theater PC (Family media center pc)

Its a slightly tweaked Acer Veriton 2800.

Intel Core Duo 2.8Ghz

Windows Media Center Edition 2005Rollup 2)

2GB RAM

250 GB HDD

Networked via USB 802.11g adapter

HDTV Tuner: Terratec Dual DVB-T (two tuners from one socket!)

Output to Samsung 40" LCD at 1360x768

Input: Microsoft Media Center Keyboard and Logitech Harmony 880 remote

PICS - the HTPC is the black unit on the bottom left

mcewr6.png

mceharmrt3.png

Plans:

Well, Im sortve not planning anything for these at the moment. Im just going to wait and see what will happen with Vista/DX10/Quad core...

I am planning on getting an Asus r2h ultramobile pc for work/uni as soon as they are released (hopefully shortly)! They are essentialy mini tablet pcs, running xp tablet edition.

I'll put some more pics up when I actually get one :p

b140348.jpg

looking forward to seeing others setups :)

mtfbwya

Case: Antec (cheap simple case, I ran out of money by the time I got to my case)

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium :)

Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900X 512MB

Processor: AMD Athlon 62 X2 (something like that)

RAM: 2 GB Corsair (I believe)

HDD: WD 250 GB

EHDD: WD 200GB

Monitor: 19" ViewSonic LCD (VA902b)

Keyboard: USB Logitech (cheap)

Mouse: hehehe, this is my pride and joy, it's some old school rollerball Logitech mouse my mom got from work 6 or so years ago, so far I like it far better than any of my friends "wireless/Bluetooth laser tracking mice"

I don't overclock or anything, because I don't feel I need to, but mostly because I don't know what any of that stuff means. As you can probably tell from above, I'm not exactly a computer whiz, I just told my friend I have X amount of money, what should I get. I'm hoping this will last me at least the next 2 to 3 years of PC gaming, before I absolutely have to upgrade. That is the one thing I hate about the PC and love about consoles, the whole compatability thing. At least when you buy a game for your PlayStation, you know you meet the system requirements :p.

Edit to below: Sounds good to me, oh and Mav is fine, no sense in typing the whole garbled mess of a username :)

My gaming PC:

FX-55 San Diego

XFX 7800 GTX 512 (2)

4 GB DDR-400 RAM (CL 2.0)

74 GB 10000 RPM boot drive

74 GB 10000 RPM drive for game installations

120 GB 7200 RPM storage drive

Windows XP Pro SP2

24" monitor @ 1920x1200

PC i use for whatever (mainly IRC):

2.0 GHz P4

BFG FX5500 128

1 GB DDR-333 (CL 2.5)

20 GB 7200 RPM boot drive

20 GB 7200 RPM storage drive

Ubuntu Linux 6.06 w/Xgl/Quinn Compiz X server

18" monitor @ 1280x1024

Then I have an eMac that I haven't used yet.

I own....wait for it...

A Dell. Two of them actually.

Specs- haven't a damn clue.

I had an old Hewlett Packard too, but it was completely infested with viruses, and was totally un-useable. I think the motherboard was fried.

Yeah...so now I feel pretty lame, but whatever.

Then I have an eMac that I haven't used yet.

u fail

Let it be known that back when I posted this for some reason something in my head went wrong, I mistakenly thought you meant a UMAX Supermac (Which suck bad, they don't make them anymore), even though you clearly said Apple EducationMAC. My anti-mac bias is dead, I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro soon.

my compy started life as an eMachines that my parents bought me (i picked it out, though).

Original Specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton (2.2GHz)

nForce2 based mobo (generic brand)

512MB DDR-333 memory

Integrated Audio and Video

1 open AGP-8x slot

3 open PCI slots

Generic V.92 56k Modem

Generic 350 PSU

Generic 120GB HD

2 Samsung DVD burners

since then, i orginally disabled the integrated video and filled the AGP slot with a Radeon 9700 Pro. that card was one heck of a workhorse and performed very well all the up till i replaced it. and yes, it still put out an excellent performance on Oblivion despite its age. however, there are some other modifications that i've made to it.

here are my current specs:

AMD Athlon 3200XP Barton (2.7 Ghz); overclocking enabled with a new Thermaltake Cooling unit

Biostar mobo w/ nForce2 chipset

1GB DDR-333 memory by Kingston

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Audio

Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS

Cooler Master 500W PSU

Original 120GB HD

1 Pioneer DVD burner

802.11g Wireless adapter (Linksys)

SATA-PCI adapter

total money spent on system: about $550.

future plans: not much. i have a 200GB SATA HD (Seagate) in the mail that i'm going to use as an intermediate HD. i'm planning on backing up my current HD onto the Seagate and just updating it periodically. the idea, however, is that i'll be able to seemlessly go from my current machine to a new one that i'm going to build down the road (at least 6 months down the road) without going through the hassles of having to install everything from scratch.

i will also likely salvage the 500W PSU, the wireless adapter, and the Audigy2 for my next system as well. the rest of the original hardware will be replaced (except for the old mobo which currently resides in a computer hardware recycling center) so that i'll be able to sell the system off for about $200-400. of course, that will be after i wipe the orginal HD clean and include a fresh copy of XP Home. ;)

Just out of pure interest, whats the problem with dell? I personally think they're quite good.

Youve read about the HUGE problem with Dell Laptops.... THEY EXPLODE Theyve since recalled over 20,000 notebook batteries and almost ONE MILLION AC adaptors !

check out those pics with that link... would you want that on your lap !!

Dells Quality Control protocols are circumspect to say the least. Ive had friends who turned their dell desktops into media center pcs....quite simply they couldnt handle the slog a MCE pc is required to do....In each of the 3 pcs, there were huge problems, from a noumber of directions

The things werent built for the hard slog, nor built to last it seems. Though the casual user may not notice any huge problems...unless they have a laptop!!

mtfbwya

Just out of pure interest, whats the problem with dell? I personally think they're quite good.

Meh...it's not like they're absolutely terrible, they're just not that high of quality. Customer service sucks. I don't think a single person who works in that department speaks english as their first language. And every Dell computer comes with ****loads of bloatware. Took me a while to uninstall all of the extra trials and crap that it came with. On top of that, they're very hard to upgrade or customize. Mine only has space for 1 gig of RAM, and it only has 1 PCI slot, so I can't get a kickass graphics card.

Overall, they're not too hot IMO. But hey, whatever floats your boat man. :)

^Yeah

Me: Hello I need help with my graphics card.

Him: *Speaks in tongues*

Me: What the h**l? Is this Dell support?

Him: *Continues to speak in tongues*

Note: Not really a conversation but almost like it.

I have an Xbox for lucasforums.;)

High Graphics Card. Kicka$$

Not the latest cutting edge technology either, but it does the job likewise for everything I've tried to use it for so far (see attached image below). :)

My old computer doesn't do the job quite that well any more: ;)

Macintosh SE

Motorola 68000 processor, 8 MHz

1 MB RAM

40 MB harddrive

800 K floppy drive

9 inch black/white (not grayscale; black/white) built in monitor.

Built-in graphics

System 6.0.5

It still works, though. :)

computer.gif.9ba1ed5ff1eea0f5b083bc544ce0fe54.gif

My new system:

Intel core 2 duo e6600

mobo: Asus P5W DH deluxe

Ram: Corsair xms2 2gb ddr2 800mhz pc2-6400

GPU: Ati x1950xtx

Creative labs sound blaster x-fi xtreme

2 western digital 250gb 7200 rpm

PSU: Antec truepower trio 650

Case: antec p180b

My old system:

Athlon64 3400+

1 Gig DDR-RAM pc-3200

MoBo: MSI K8T Neo 2 FIS2R

120G W.D.

Ati radeon x850xt PE (received an upgrade about a yr ago)

Monitor: viewsonic P95 f+b 19" crt

Hey, I've been told how do check them before, but I forgot how to. :p Plus, I'm not really a computer guy.

So, can somebody help a homie out and show me where I can find my specs on my PC?!

Thanks a bunch. :)

check the "HOW TO USE THIS FORUM" thread stuck on the mainpage or, as stoffe recommended - use everest :)

mtfbwya

Various PCs here. But only one really worth mentioning.

Name: Experiment Kraj

Windows Vista RC2

Intel core duo 2.4ghz, E6600

Asus P5b deluxe

2gb DDR2 533mhz ram

Connect3D ATI x1900 xt 512

Raptor HD 75gb

WD 320 GB

Antec smartpower 500watt

Antec P180b case

19" and 17" LCD screens

kraj1.jpg

<3

• 2 weeks later...

Got some of my upstairs setup-

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/3668/dsc03989bt7.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8408/dsc03986kb9.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3961/dsc03987sk8.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6840/dsc03988ff2.jpg

it works.. ;)

edit- ffs, i forgot to reaize AND i had shakycam :D Don't suppose you'd mind linking them or thumbnailing them would you AT? thanks in advance :xp:

Edit by darth333: removed IMG tags. Those pics were just too big for the forums.

Archived