Home

Power Supply Problems or Video Card Problems?

Boba Rhett

Hey guys, I have some questions I hope a few of you will be able to help me with.

I recently got a used eVGA 7800 OC Superclock AGP card and it worked great for the first few hours.

It's now causing me some trouble though. The warning buzzer on the card is starting to go off when I start up games and it hits their main screen. Also, when I'm in the game after a few minutes the card will just stop outputting a signal to the monitor (forcing me to restart) and sometimes the whole system will just restart.

To me this sounds like the PSU I have in the case may be having trouble supplying enough power to the card and it triggering the voltage protection circuitry on the card which is designed to stop the card from outputting a signal. (from what I gather) I don't know what the warning buzzer on the card is trying to tell me though. :confused:

Anyone have input on the matter? Is the card defective or is my power supply not up to snuff?

I'm not sure, but definitely first try a new power supply, since it's much less expensive than a new video card. :) I had a problem a while back and I didn't know what the source was so I first tried replacing the power supply and it solved it.

Try checking your hardware like I said, and make sure you do have enough power to run it and check for other incompatibility problems using the manual (if you have it)

If you don't know what to look for maybe just give us a screenie of your PC specs or something cause it's hard to help without knowing exactly what system you're running...

What kind of power supply do you currently have? As far as I know most modern graphics cards are rather power hungry and should have a power supply providing at least 350-400W, and around 30A on the 12V rail (in total if you have a power supply with several 12V rails).

Blerg, sucks when it's my video card. >_>

To tell the truth, the entire reason why I might have had such problems with my computer (which lead to be upgrading my video card and selling it to Rhett here) could have been blamed on my PSU (buying a new $50 PSU would have been way better than spending nearly $300 getting new parts)

Since I'm home from school for the second day in a row, I've got the time...

After looking on some nVidia forums check these:

• Make sure your computer is in hardware acceleration mode.
  • Have the newest mobo drivers installed.
  • Make sure in the nvidia display controller settings it's in 8x AGP mode.
  • Try downgrading the drivers (Mid 2006 release would be good)
  • Double check your BIOS and make sure everything is alright.
  • It may be giving false positives in overheating. Try turning temp-monitoring off but proceed with caution. Click
  • People who have RMA'd their card (7800GSs) have had the same problem continue.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=12355&hl=black%20screen

Also, Rhett...

My +12V rail says it's a 15A rating and I was wondering if this was going to cause problems.

Just might, I looked on the internet and saw that the requirement was 20A or something. But instead of freaking out I did a 'watch and see' thing to see it would work. I couldn't give you a real answer because I had tossed my old PSU and my new one didn't have any markings.

Extremely random: Darth Moeller, I started watching that show today (I'm on the 5th). I never thought I'd be laughing at someone get molested multiple times.

Hmm, I got the warning buzzer the first time PC Wizard ran the windowed version of the DX flying box text. It hasn't done it since.

Attached are my main components.

I have no idea what the PSU is. It says it's a 450W unit but who knows - I think it's just a generic one that came with the case. My 12V rail is saying it's at 11.2V in PC Wizard, shouldn't it be tighter to 12 than that? o_O

Fast Edit: Sweet lord, the sticker on the PSU lists only one 12v+ rail and it's 15Amps.

specs.JPG.87ad0385614d68fcbf67c01a4a97759c.JPG

the card is probably buzzing for one of two reasons: either A. not enough power is getting to the card, or B. the card is heating up too fast.

checking the temp of the GPU is easy enough: get into your Advanced Dispaly Properties and click on Temp Settings in the Driver Options. if the temp is getting higher than 80C, then you could've very easily figured out the problem.

as for the power draw, a single-rail PSU actually works better under a load than a duel-rail PSU, but there is something interesting to note about the info you provided. if you are just getting 11.2V, then something is very wrong with your PSU. most PSU's should be able to put out a full 12V with no difficulties, which is something yours seems to be struggling with.

if you get a new PSU, look for a high efficiency model with at least a 450W output (you shouldn't need more than that, IMHO).

I've watched the temp of the gpu like a hawk and it pretty much just sits at ~42C which is well within the green zone. I checked after a few gaming sessions and it'll go up to 46-47C but that's still well within the green.

Yeah, the 12V rail seems to hover around 11.15V pretty much always.

Anyone have any PSUs they recommend? Preferably ones that aren't a large amount of monies? :D I'd like to try and use newegg.

Well, when I got a new one at BestBuy it was really heavy compared to my case one. So if I were you I'd look for the most popular on NewEgg in the right price set. You can get dirt cheap ones for around $20. Some normal ones for around $50-70. And there are high-end ones which range in the +$120 area... but those are for serious rigs.

Also, this is a sucky 5,000th post...

After all the other advice, PSU sounds 99.99% probable, but have you tried the card in another computer before dropping more coin?

I'm not too knowledgeable with hardware, but I love my new corsair PSU. The cables were great and more than I'd ever need. Although...It might just be my 10000rpmHD, but sometimes I get the feeling that my PSU is kinda noisy, that could just be the soundflow from the case though.

I feel a strange need to know what this show is?

oi, there is a tech forum for 1337 tech advice :D

agp ? Rhett its 2007 !! a geforce 6600 256mb is a nice card and under $80USD Im pretty sure - and thats a new price ; do some looking through ebay/swapmeets/computer markets and you can get one for much less :) I built a friend a media center pc with dceent specs from salvaged/refurbished bits n pieces for $200. The same specd rigs retail for $1200+. go figure :D

If I were in your predicament - I'd cut mu losses, and also think about the future. i'd throw in a new mainboard, with at least one PCI-express x16 slot.

if you dont want to do all that - ditch the shyte PSU your stuck with

mtfbwya

I think my eyes got raped by Astrotoy. Rhett is uncomfortable buying a new PSU and you're telling him to get a new Mobo, CPU, PSU, and Video Card... dang. : P

I agree though, I did the same thing and I'm happy with it, but I understand the whole money thing can make it hard to swallow.

PSUs

1) 430w - $37 5 Stars / 1000+ Reviews

2) 430w - $70 $45 4 Stars / 72 Reviews

3) 450w - $54 5 Stars / 84 Reviews

4) 450w - $38 5 Stars / 101 Reviews

5) 350w - $15 4 Stars / 122 Reviews

6) 400w - $30 $20 4 Stars / 89 Reviews

I recommend 4 or 5. I ran this card on a 350w FYI.

FREE 500W PSU!!!!!!

Rhett:

Man, do I wish that I'd seen this thread sooner! I hope that I posted this in time!:)

PLEASE check this out before BUYING anything.

Yes, it is most likely your PSU and its anemic 15A 12V rail that is causing your problem. I have had the PSU in the posted link for a couple of months now and it's perfectly fine. It's compact enough to fit in any case, it's quiet, has a lifetime warranty, and yes, after rebate it's FREE! That's right, it's free! When I got it even the standard shipping was free, and it probably still is. I urge you and anyone else who wouldn't mind a free spare 500W PSU to get one.

While it has only one 12V rail, it's rated at 28A, which should be enough to power your 7800. As far as I know, only the ATI cards need more than this.

And yes, I've received the rebate check. This thing won't cost you a dime!:)

Also, please note that the total wattage isn't as important as the amperage of the 12V rail where video cards are concerned.

What's this move thread shenanigans? :xp:

things

All my money has gone to college. I just got this used pc as a step up from my old one. :( I would love to assemble such a pc but it doesn't look like I'll be able to for a while. Maybe in the summer I'll be able to. I'll then need you to use your powers to help me find deals, Astro! :) Also keep in mind that I live in the middle of nowhere in Missouri so there's not really any places I can go to look for used parts. :D

Thanks for pointing out the free psu, Qliveur! You rock. How long did it take you to get your rebate back?

It looks like it could be exactly what I need. I'm going to go sign up for frys now. Anyone else have any experience with this psu before I submit my order?

Archived