Home

Pets

Both, I think. But mostly for the cats (mental) health.

Usually, once a cat knows the "outside stuff" she will hardly ever get used to the "closed environment" of an apartment. Even if you have a entirely "indoor-grown" cat, they normally won't see you for at least half of the day, since you leave the house at least once a day. Sure, you can get cat trees and cat toys and stuff, but I don't consider that enough seen over a period for a couple of years. Also, many house plants are highly toxic for cats.

I like dogs and cats equally, but own neither. I don't care for birds at all. I find reptiles fascinating but would never own one. In fact reptile owners, especially snake owners, are a different breed of pet owners, wouldn't you say?

Always been a goldfish person.
You'll have to have me over for dinner some time.

92.jpg:drool1:

For your possessions or it's health ;)

Health-wise, cats are ambush creatures, as opposed to dogs (pack hunters) that have an inherit need to run.. run all day long...constantly... :whacked:

As long as you have a hallway or open space, it's plenty enough for the typical domesticated kitty to get it's exercise :) Can't speak for your possessions however.. hehehe. Curios out of nature, there's no telling what a cat may deem "fun", chew-worthy and/or claw sharpening quality :lol:

While cats are more independent than dogs generally, their personality also varies quite a bit from cat to cat. So cats do get bored if they are left totally alone. Reason why I have TWO cats. Then they can play with each other.

Bored cats would develop weird bahaviors. It is suggestd that you play with them everyday if possable. You don't have to jump around the house with them, but sometimes anything from a thrown ping pong to a feather tied on a rope can entertain them for quite some time. Oh and your foot (in socks) also, but I would suggest regular nail clipping if you were to try this one, and more socks for you due to wear and tear.

Bored cats would develop weird bahaviors. It is suggestd that you play with them everyday if possable. You don't have to jump around the house with them, but sometimes anything from a thrown ping pong to a feather tied on a rope can entertain them for quite some time. Oh and your foot (in socks) also, but I would suggest regular nail clipping if you were to try this one, and more socks for you due to wear and tear.

I completely agree with you :)

I invested in one of those keychain laser pointers... my cats are hilarious when I turn that sucker on and start moving it around :lol:

Crumpled up paper works like a charm too.. you can watch their ears perk as you crumple, and they start to waggle building up their "reserves" for a turbo pounce once it's thrown... hehehe

I like both cats and dogs. Currently, I have a cat, Euripedes (that was his name when we got him), we have had him since 2000 and he is about 12 years old. Afterwards, I don't think I'll own a pet. Happiness at the expense of extra work and money? Yeah, maybe you'll be happy, but that's a lot of work. At the moment, we have 3 people to take care of our cat, so it's not so bad. But, the amount of money we've spent on it? No, thanks.

But, I still love cats and dogs. ;)

Pets , my god we used to have lots of pets :lol: , a bit over the top :

1) a Parrot ( nasty critter , biting , shouting very very very LOUD ) but has passed away , not that I'm to sad . The bird only liked my mother .

2) two love-birds , small parrots . Not that annoying like the big one .

3) a small pond with a wide range of fishes .

4) another pond with turtles , 3 or 2 , not sure anymore .

5) my brother has an aquarium with tropical fishies .

6) 3 dogs at the moment , one old English Bulldog , a french Bulldog and a keesdog -> bad translation ;)

7) A guinea-pig ( in the past there were 2 and a rabbit )

8) and a Iguana , but he's dead now :( , cancer .

And me , I keep a snake , Norht American type Pantherophis guttatus guttatus or "Rat" snake .

No poison-snake mind you, I don't like that :p , and the "beast" doesn't grow that large +- 2m , wich is small considered that pythons can grow to 8m .

Looks like my parents just love animals ;) .

My goldfish were savage.

Towards the end of my aquariam's life, I had two goldfishes and two angle fishes. The elder angle was magnificent and large, the other rather tiny.

I introduced a new pair of goldfish in. The first died in a week - he just died. The other had his fins ripped by the other goldfishes. The guy just couldn't swim. He floated to the top and just hung out there with the others pecking him. The goldfishes had actually bitten off his fins. The poor guy lasted three days without limbs. Without able to swim or do anything in general, the guy just, died.

I've been having nightmares about goldfishes ever since.

Well I can see what the problem is right off. NEVER put goldfish with tropical species of any kind. They just don't go well together. Tropical fish are warm water fish while goldfish are a cold water species. My guess is that you had either common or Comet goldfish in your tank. They are aggressive swimmers and really shouldn't even be kept with fancy goldfish (Ryukins, Blackmoors, Lionheads, etc.) because of competition for food and fin nipping.

Well I can see what the problem is right off. NEVER put goldfish with tropical species of any kind. They just don't go well together. Tropical fish are warm water fish while goldfish are a cold water species. My guess is that you had either common or Comet goldfish in your tank. They are aggressive swimmers and really shouldn't even be kept with fancy goldfish (Ryukins, Blackmoors, Lionheads, etc.) because of competition for food and fin nipping.

Well, I'm no aquatic expert, but I think they were the same species. They didn't look different in any way...

Guess you're right, though.

Pets are very important to me, they are always there for you and they even know when you are sad or mad or just feeling bad. I have a Daschund and she is the sweets thing in my world , she always at morning come to my room to check how is everything and when I am watching TV she always stay beside me in the couch. I love her :)

topimage_daschund.gif

Well, I'm no aquatic expert, but I think they were the same species. They didn't look different in any way...

I may have misunderstood you, but didn't you say you had angelfish in the tank with goldfish? If so, I'm sorry. Below is a visual reference so you can see what I mean.

Angelfish.gif

Angelfish

Goldfish2.jpg

Common Goldfish

allfishcomp1.gif

Fancy Goldfish

Crumpled up paper works like a charm too.. you can watch their ears perk as you crumple, and they start to waggle building up their "reserves" for a turbo pounce once it's thrown... hehehe

Higgins (the smart cat, not the dumb one) will actually play fetch with a small paper wad. Ophelia (our cat who passed away last year), would also fetch the paper wad, but only if you had a shoe next to you for her to drop it into. Otherwise, she'd drop it just out of your reach but still expect you to throw it for her again. I have no clue why the shoe made a difference, but it apparently did to her.

They all like the lattice balls with a bell inside, because they could pick those up with their teeth and fetch them, but Jimbo and I kept finding those with our feet at 2 am, and those little plastic balls have remarkably sharp edges when crushed under said feet.

Higgins was an outside cat for the first 5 months of his life, and Ophelia was a stray as well. Both adapted to indoor life (including apartments for a number of years) just fine, and while Higgins will try to go out every now and then, he always wants back in right away. None of our cats would have lived as long as they have if they were outdoor cats.

hmm lemme see... i have:

3 very big and old koi fish that reside in a fully maintained pond outdoors Named Rose, Jack and Carlito

2 gold fish *that live with the koi outside but in a seperate pond* named Matthew T. Hardyfish *commonly called "matty"* and Two spots.

a Puggle named darcy

a jackrusell mix named Harry H. (yes, the h is for houdini!)

i had a English bulldog named Lucy, but at age 10 she was viciouslly gunned down protecting me. she died in my arms on the way to the vets.

oh! and spookycat, who isn't mine but i feed her.

so as you can see, i love pets. Speically my little darcy! she's such a good little doggy

I may have misunderstood you, but didn't you say you had angelfish in the tank with goldfish? If so, I'm sorry. Below is a visual reference so you can see what I mean.

Yes sir, there were two angelfishes, two goldfishes, just as I said. The angelfish died the last. They were cool and they stayed out of the goldies' business. The largest Angelfish was a beautiful sight.

Archived