Home

Star Wars Novels

Lord Foley

I was just wondering how many of the Star Wars expanded universe novels you guys have read, and, more importantly really, how you feel about them. And I'm going to leave spoilers at a bare minimum.

I've read quite a few myself, reading all the Junior Jedi Knights books when I was younger and continuing through New Jedi Order up into Legacy of the Force.

I'm aware that New Jedi Order is a rather unpopular series (in retrospect, I suppose, considering they were bestsellers...), and I'd heard nothing but praise for LotF when I hadn't started them yet.

But you know what? Legacy of the Force is terrible. The idea sounded amazing when I was hearing about the story, but as I go through them, the characters are just running in circles accomplishing nothing while Jacen Solo becomes progressively more assholish for no reason. And I loved NJO! Even all those mindless space battles were more interesting than all the characters sitting around going "****, it would suck if we wind up fighting. And we're disgruntled now! Isn't this interesting?" And don't worry, every third book they'll drop a sentence foreshadowing something bigger at work. Lolz!

Legacy of the Force had better pull together an unbelievable revelation and a spectacular climaz if its authors want to stay off of my hitlist.

PS: I'm sick of Troy Dennings wonderful writing style. Lolz Every character's 'death' is open ended so I can recycle and milk the ever loving crap out of boring ideas that everyone hated in the first place lmao!!1! (I'm looking at you, Dark Nest Trilogy.)

Pull together an unbelievable revelation? Then wait for Revelation. But, then again, from what i heard, Inferno was quite the revelation what with

Jacen discovering that he was worthless to a Sith Order on Korriban

. I don't know why but i get the feeling the Dark Side will triumph here.

And no, i haven't read any SW novel. I plan on getting LOTF, but, i know many things about it already since i don't mind spoilers. I WOULD like to read everything of the post-ROTJ EU since it would fill me in ALOT. But, i guess i'll simply have to go with the books and such.

There was a time when I was into it and had read most of the nougatty goodness there was to offer. This was back when the Thrawn Trilogy was the festoon that delicately draped over the EU; holding it in it's warm embrace and making the entire thing palatable. Then rumor of the NJO begin to stir and, I admit, at first I was excited. When the NJO did finally land and I saw that it was one part failed abortion and two parts affront to God and man awful, I swore off the EU in pretty much it's entirety.

So to answer your question, quite a few, though I feel obliged to hate them all as of late. :(

@Jason- unfortunately, Inferno is not out until Tuesday, so I'm obliged not to read your spoiler.

When the NJO did finally land and I saw that it was one part failed abortion and two parts affront to God and man awful, I swore off the EU in pretty much it's entirety.

At first, I thought NJO was pretty bad, with the Yuuzhan Vong mindlessly killing everyone like it was their job, but once Star by Star rolled around, I actually cared what would happen to Jacen, and Traitor was phenomenal.

However, it would have been better if they had only printed the hardcover novels.

I've read all of the older EU books and own most of them. I love the Rebels vs. Empire and KotOR eras and I still read books set in those times. I've read some of the NJO but quit about in the middle because I was really getting tired of it. I don't plan on reading any Legacy books whatsoever.

To this date I still actively avoid any book by R.A. Salvatore.

I've read about 22 now, but no NJO or LOTF yet (trying to catch up, most of the ones I've read are of the Rise of the Empire Era or New Republic Era). But I've enjoyed reading most of them. Of course the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn Duology, but the Republic Commando books are my favorite so far, and I can't wait for True Colors.

I don't recommend Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I believe this was the first SW novel ever published and after all the additional development of the SW universe that took place after this book was written it just doesn't cut the mustard anymore, if it ever did.

I don't recommend Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I believe this was the first SW novel ever published and after all the additional development of the SW universe that took place after this book was written it just doesn't cut the mustard anymore, if it ever did.
At least Splinter was better than the disaster that is The Crystal Star. That one is very, very skippable. :D

I was just wondering how many of the Star Wars expanded universe novels you guys have read, and, more importantly really, how you feel about them. And I'm going to leave spoilers at a bare minimum.
I have read several, but by no means most or all, novels. I have found the quality to vary wildly. I guess most of what I have read is in the PT/Clone Wars and New Republic eras.

I'm aware that New Jedi Order is a rather unpopular series (in retrospect, I suppose, considering they were bestsellers...), and I'd heard nothing but praise for LotF when I hadn't started them yet.
I would say that in the beginning it was to a large degree praised. I would also say that praise has diminished quite a bit, which mirrors my feelings on the series.

But you know what? Legacy of the Force is terrible. The idea sounded amazing when I was hearing about the story, but as I go through them, the characters are just running in circles accomplishing nothing while Jacen Solo becomes progressively more assholish for no reason. And I loved NJO! Even all those mindless space battles were more interesting than all the characters sitting around going "****, it would suck if we wind up fighting. And we're disgruntled now! Isn't this interesting?" And don't worry, every third book they'll drop a sentence foreshadowing something bigger at work. Lolz!
I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible, but it has been quite slow. And Jacen just seems to be rather gullible most of the time. Anything that doesn't immediately fall into his world view he dismisses out of hand without any analysis, and instantly takes at face value anything that does, no matter how dubious the source.

For me, it has been getting to the point where it isn't really believable. They seem to be trying to make him a Palpatine-esque schemer, but he really pales in comparison. He really is the poorest of the Sith Lords that I know. Which is really unfortunate, since in the beginning I thought he was going to turn into a great villain that would be around for a long time. Now I just kind of hope he gets killed off so we can move on...

The thing that is getting to me in this series is that just about everyone of any consequence is so damn old. Apart from Jacen and Ben, everyone else should have long since retired from running around the galaxy. Han, Leia, Luke, Wedge, Boba. The list goes on. They take no time to develop any of the other characters, and so they won't be ready to take over the story down the line.

"60 is the new 40" is the worst thing to happen to the EU in a long time.

PS: I'm sick of Troy Dennings wonderful writing style. Lolz Every character's 'death' is open ended so I can recycle and milk the ever loving crap out of boring ideas that everyone hated in the first place lmao!!1! (I'm looking at you, Dark Nest Trilogy.)
My beef is with Traviss. Why is there all this Mandalorian stuff every time Traviss pops up every 3 books? It is distracting, and the plot line is almost completely irrelevant to the rest of the story. It just drags out an already dragged out story. I know she has a crush on them, but jeez.

I got 3 novels but I have not even opened them... SW:Edge of victory II Rebirth, SW:Refugee (Force Heretic II), SW:The Joiner king.
I've only read the Joiner series. Yuck.

I haven't read any yet. I plan on reading the Darth Maul ones. I really like stuff about Sith Lords. Are there any others that have to do with powerful Sith that you guys would recommend?
I'm slowly getting through Dark Lord, and I have liked it so far...

Well I finished The Path of Destruction and Saboteur. I must say, Darth Bane was a BA. Now I'm really anxious for the next book that comes out in December. Saboteur was hardly worth reading in my opinion though. I'm hoping Shadow Hunter will be better.

I kind of know what goes on in the EU because I have the chronology. Yeah I am a big cheat there. Out of EU I have read the Junior Jedi Knights series, the Jedi Apprentice series, Tyrant's Test, part of the Thrawn trilogy though I never finished it and the Dark Nest Trilogy.

Perosnally what grabs my interest is a good plot and you have to have a really good teaser to back it up. I read the teasers and if they don't catch my fancy then forget it. Unless it is recommended by someone I know.

Like some of you here, I've read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, The Approaching Storm and Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.

I've read the first two chapters of The Rise of Darth Vader, but other than that, nothing so far.

I've liked all of these books, except for The Approaching Storm, since I didn't really like it, but that was my opinion.

I'll let the attachment do the talking for me...

I also have another (bigger) bookshelf filled with the rest of the Star Wars books that didn't fit on the one pictured (Hardbacks), along with my non Star Wars books. And there's a couple of piles of Star Wars books/comics around my room not pictured. I need to spend a day reogranising, and put stuff back in chronological order.

I pretty much have almost every book released except for the Jedi Apprentice young readers books, and more I can't remember right now.

If the house catches fire and burns my library to the ground, I think I'd cry for a very long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived