Home

2007 = Worst Holiday Movie Season in history!

Darth Groovy

The Golden Compass? = Baaaaaaad Narnia Clone

Alvin & The Chipmunks? = No explanation necessary...

Atonement? = The English Patient anyone?

I Am Legend? = ...

Seriously, the Holidays are supposed to be the next season of blockbusters and great movies, and there is not one damn thing I would consider leaving my home for.

The writer's guild is on strike and boy does it show. Am I the only one that notices this?

Better luck next summer I guess?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Country For Old Men is supposedly incredible, too bad it won't come to Norway until February. Juno also looks good, and I wanted to see The Assassination of Jesse James, but couldn't afford going when it was in the cinemas here.

I went to see Control a few weeks ago, and that was a great and powerful movie. It probably isn't getting a lot of screen time in the US though...

The writer's guild is on strike and boy does it show. Am I the only one that notices this?

Eh? The writer's guild went on strike too late in the year to significantly affect the writing of any 2007 movie. 2008, on the other hand, might not be so good.

I saw I Am Legend, it was pretty good. I really had no idea what to expect so it was enjoyable.

I'll probably see The Golden Compass, I think it looks pretty good. I'd consider Atonement for Keira Knightley. >_>

Also I'll definitely see National Treasure 2. I thought the first one was great. I just think conspiracy stuff like that is so interesting.

Well, the books are supposed to be anti-authority and specifically anti-institutionalized religion, although the first one is less so than the last two. However, even the little commentary on this that was in the first book is supposed to have been removed from the movie itself. I'm not sure what the problem is with the movie given that the religion-bashing aspect in it sounds more hyped up than real. I haven't read the books or seen the movie myself, so you might want to read some news pieces on the subject.

Also I'll definitely see National Treasure 2. I thought the first one was great. I just think conspiracy stuff like that is so interesting.

So glad 'Book of Secrets' gets a mention... seriously, are only two of us looking forward to this? Dec. 21 in the US, people! C'mon!

And let's not just talk about movies new in theaters... 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' and 'The Bourne Ultimatum' just to name two. If you ask me, Christmas '07 ain't so bad after all :)

I definately wanna see I am Legend

National Treasure 2 is gonna be good in that exaggerated, pulsing soundtrack, flyby, Jerry Bruckheimer produced sort of way. I liked the first one. Definately see the second.

AVP2 is one I'm really looking forward to. I was the one who liked the first one and the way the story played out, so I'm gonna be there for the second. I mean no matter how you spin it, Aliens are cool and the movies featuring them appeal to me beyond reason.

And The Golden Compass was meh. Never read the book, nor Narnia for that matter. Narnia felt awe inspiring, and deep and looked good. I just found myself not caring about the Golden Compass or the characters whilst watching. Don't get me wrong. I like the idea behind the story, but the execution just didn't hit me the right way.

I'm pretty excited for National Treasure 2, I thoroughly enjoyed the first one.

I was really looking forward to The Golden Compass, but all of the negative reviews I've heard from my friends who are fans of the book have caused me to somewhat lose interest.

Not necessarily Holiday movies, but here is the list of movies I want to see as of now:

I Am Legend (Seeing it tonight)

National Treasure 2

Rambo :D

Sweeney Todd :D

No Country for Old Men

Cloverfield :D

Valkyrie (next summer)

Just got back from I Am Legend. I thought it was great. I laughed, I cried, I pissed my pants at some parts. 3/4 stars from milo, even though the end did seem a tad anti-climactic.

Also, does anyone know what the hell Cloverfield is supposed to be about? Every trailer I've seen is that same stupid home video where the guy's at a surprise party, then something blows up in the middle of the city and everyone freaks out. What's the premise of the film?

I Am Legend looks good. No Country for Old Men is also fantastic I hear. If you haven't seen it, check American Gangster.

The Golden Compass is just part of the fantasy wave that started with LotR, then Harry Potter. Forget Narnia.

Alvin and the Chipmunks is meh.

The writer's strike didn't affect any movies in 2007 as far as I know; final production on movies takes months, and the strike started in November. Early 2008 movies will definitely be affected if studios decide to push production without the writers.

I Am Legend was incredible. Personally, I loved it, and I would definitely not call it a horror movie.

The first hour and a half or so (maybe a tad less) was psychological and very VERY intense in an edge-of-your-seat-holding-your-breath kind of intensity, while the last bit was definitely a much faster pace and the intensity was more of an action movie's style of intensity.

Does that make any sense?

I thought it was fantastic, I plan on reading the book and seeing The Omega Man over the holiday break.

Archived