Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was a nice 4th quarter. i had to work through the first 3 quarters, just like the giants' last game.

work wasn't too bad. just a slowish day. some reason it went by fast. i left 30 minutes early...got my 3 big bags of garbage thrown out. :D watched the rest of the game downstairs, and now i'm havin fun making a playlist for my myspace. :D got a friend request from someone that used to work at walmart...she's annoying as hell so i'll just ignore it. guess that is what i get for taking my thing off of private.

Meh, I think I've been out of a fighter plane so long now, I belong with the ground pounders.

I'm a mean ass sniper. *Hugs his R700 Sniper Rifle*

I've discovered that my best chances for surviving a round of Battlefront are to grab a sniper rifle, get my cottontail butt to a safe vantage point and begin busting clones in the head. I can take 'em out from the side, running, from halfway across the theater. *Blap!* 'Play dead!'

Don't get me wrong. :biggs: It's still MY SKY...dig? But I have found that getting into a fighter is about the quickest way to die in that game, and sometimes I play to see if I can stay alive.

I, personally, care little for football. :max: Hairless monkeys tossing a leather ball back and forth--one would think that such antiquated modes of mock warfare are obsolete in this videographic world of ours. However, I do know someone who has something to say about it.

:assult: Wally the space dolphin says that he has observed the beer and facepaint ritual from orbit, and while he finds the presence of cheerleaders a curious thing, it is nevertheless not enough to blind him from the coded messages being sent in the open as it were to alien overlords that the Earth was ready for assimilation in the form of apparently random football plays, so he had to foil the plan by going down to the football field himself (in spirit) and aiding his aquatic airbreathing cousins by kicking the ever loving dogsh*t out of Boston.

Sorry, Ed. :) At least your shower's working.

:assult: Wally the space dolphin says that he has observed the beer and facepaint ritual from orbit, and while he finds the presence of cheerleaders a curious thing, it is nevertheless not enough to blind him from the coded messages being sent in the open as it were to alien overlords that the Earth was ready for assimilation in the form of apparently random football plays, so he had to foil the plan by going down to the football field himself (in spirit) and aiding his aquatic airbreathing cousins by kicking the ever loving dogsh*t out of Boston.

Thank you Wally. Thank you for everything. :)

Go ahead and gloat, you haters. You'll all see next time...

:rolleyes:

Seriously... if I were actually more of a sports fan (and seeing as this was the only football game I bothered to watch all the way through this year, or come to think of it, at all, I'm kinda guessing I really don't qualify...) it would probably hurt a lot.

I guess I would have liked to see a perfect season for the home team,.. but whatever.

It actually has zero impact on my life whatsoever. In fact... the loss is actually better for my existence, insofar as it won't ruin a commute for me this week.

At least this loss didn't throw me into the funk I know some of my friends and neighbors are finding themselves in right now... and nowhere near the funk I found myself in when I learned Bush had been re-elected.

At least this loss didn't throw me into the funk I know some of my friends and neighbors are finding themselves in right now... and nowhere near the funk I found myself in when I learned Bush had been re-elected.

Why? It's not like they blew it. Much like Bush getting re-elected, it affects pretty much nothing.

Why? It's not like they blew it.

*Shrug*

That's life around Boston sports fans... what can I tell you?

(Although I doubt that hardcore sports fans anywhere are all that different...)

I've never quite understood defining oneself, you happiness, and your emotional-well-being around watching the actions of a group of overpaid strangers in funny uniforms getting exercise you should be getting, tossing a ball around on a field... but it seems highly important to a lot of people.

The whole concept is utterly ridiculous when you bother to analyse it intellectually... but I can tell you that this will be a defining moment for days, weeks, months, years, perhaps decades to come around here.

Every talk-radio and barroom conversation will center on "why?" and "what should have been done differently?" for only-God-knows-how-long.

And, as even as cynical as I am, I could debate that the outcome of a political contest actually does have some impact on each and every one of our lives... however: I truly now regret my earlier depression over it.

After all: Think of all the entertainment factor I would have missed in the last 3 years watching this administration unravel itself had Kerry actually won.

:D

I'm glad the Giants won... Mainly because the Giants earned it, but also because I love to see Tom Brady (and the Pats) taken down a peg or two. Thank God I don't have to listen to everyone comparing him to Joe Montana for another month and a half.

That said, it certainly was a hell of a game. I love games where both teams have to fight tooth and nail for every yard, and this one was a textbook example of the adage, "Offence wins games, defence wins championships. "

Wait! When did the Pats become the Yankees of the football world? When did they become the evil empire? :confused:

This is a new sensation for me: All my life rooting for the home teams around here meant hitching your wagon to hopeless underdogs, and setting yourself up for endless disappointment and being the butt of many cruel jokes. (Other than the all too brief glory days of the Celts and Bruins of the 80's, that is...)

Now it seems being a fan of the suddenly successful Boston-area teams means having to be taken down a peg.

This is all very odd and disorienting. Never saw it coming.

Wait! When did the Pats become the Yankees of the football world? When did they become the evil empire? :confused:

Now it seems being a fan of the suddenly successful Boston-area teams means having to be taken down a peg.

This is all very odd and disorienting. Never saw it coming.

its been building, bill belichick is a prick externally(seemingly, his playes adore him but not many other people), the cheating, and the fact that no offense, I was treated better by packers fans at lambeau then I was by pats fans last year during the week before championship sunday and the pats lost that game to the colts anyways who of course ended up beating the Bears in Miami.

You guys have one of the rudest fanbases I have encountered and that is an opinion shared by many. Especially since the last few years its seemingly been the pats are crowned Super Bowl Champion in October and then they dont win it anyways

Ont he bright side for you, being that hated generally means you are really good!

They became the villains in Week 1, after Spygate. They further villified themselves to the rest of the league by going undefeated in the regular season and going into the Super Bowl with a swagger and an air of self-assuredness instead of hunger and passion like they used to in the past. Back in 2002 when they faced the hugely favored Rams in the Super Bowl, they were the scrappy underdogs full of heart and guts and fighting spirit. That was a Boston team that deserved to win. This year, they were the big, bad Darth Vaders of the football world, crushing everything in their path and going into the game fully expecting the Giants to roll over and die.

Instead, it turned out pretty much like the end of Return of the Jedi. After being socked back by a textbook Brady drive to put the Pats ahead (The Empire firing the Death Star II laser), Manning puts together an incredible, jaw-dropping drive of his own, capped off by that beautiful floater to Burress (Lando and Wedge delivering the torps into the heart of the DSII), then watching the Giants' amazing defense stop the Pats one last time (Hightailing it the hell out of the exploding DSII).

So, it really isn't hard to see why the Pats were the Empire. They were evil, and everyone in the football world not living in Boston hated them.

I may wear my Boston sports loyalties on my sleeve, but that was a great game last night. I guess the Herald's Michael Felger (who does the "report card") will be putting the blame on the offensive line, who couldn't seem to protect Brady all night, but credit the Giants for, as the Rock might put it, "bringing it". Also, if there was one coach I could stand the Patriots losing to, it was Tom Coughlin (former Boston College coach).

Instead, it turned out pretty much like the end of Return of the Jedi. After being socked back by a textbook Brady drive to put the Pats ahead (The Empire firing the Death Star II laser), Manning puts together an incredible, jaw-dropping drive of his own, capped off by that beautiful floater to Burress (Lando and Wedge delivering the torps into the heart of the DSII), then watching the Giants' amazing defense stop the Pats one last time (Hightailing it the hell out of the exploding DSII).

So, it really isn't hard to see why the Pats were the Empire. They were evil, and everyone in the football world not living in Boston hated them.

You are a huge nerd.

I like your style :thumbsup:

Ah.

OK.

I was mostly unaware of all that... not carefully following sports until major games like this.

I'm a Pats fan due mostly to geography. The rest of my extended family around here are RABID Pats fans... so I root for them by default.

(Same thing with the Sox. I want to see them win mainly because it's really just easier that way. Plus; I think they still kinda have underdog cache at the moment... but one more big year, and I think they'll probably lose it too.)

Interesting factoid: I was actually a Dolphins fan as a kid... due to my desire to be different, and the fact that I was born in a Miami suburb, so I felt some spawning-ground connection or something.

EDIT:

Today was mostly slow and easy. Worked on the monitor desk a while, pulling out channel strips and making sure everything is still connected and clean inside.

A remarkably subdued commute (both ways) to say the least. I imagine it would have been very different had the outcome of the game gone the opposite way last night.

Tired tonight. Bed early. Have to try to get my car inspected before work tomorrow.

the red sox do not have the underdog vibe anymore at all dude

I dunno... maybe in other parts of the world that is true.

But the feeling exists around here that there's always the possibility that whatever combination of magic factors that has happened in the last couple of years could slip away any moment,.. and it could be another 50 to 100 years before we see another pennant race around these parts.

Sox fans appear to be (IMHO understandably...) a cautious lot.

In Boston, at least, they will probably always be seen as the scrappy underdogs... Until, perhaps, the day we win more World Series than the Yankees anyway. :D

Archived