Home

Euro 08

Well, the first comment was for Miltiades...football is a simple game...msot of the time there is a rightfull winner. And for this match, it clearly wasn't Italy.

Football is a simple game, but it's also unpredictable. On the other hand, Italy wasn't playing very good and the Netherlands took advantage of that. They deserved to win, I acknowledge that. I guess by growing up between Dutch-hating football supports made me one myself. Everyone has a team they can't stand, and for me, that's the Netherlands and Germany (and a couple more). Don't take it personally. :) But the Netherlands were better, I don't deny that.

Anyway, gotta feel sorry for Switzerland. But the state of the field, due to the rain, was bad, really bad. That was actually fun to watch, though. :p Portugal did what they had to do, and showed again what a good team they are.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, Croatia vs Germany today, cant wait, if we still had Eduardo we probably would've been favourites for that match, and maybe even the cup, but now, maybe...

Nah, even if Eduardo was fit you guys are underdogs against Germany, I'm afraid I'm expecting a German win, though I think you will qualify from the group :)

Look like Germany suffered 'Italy syndrome' last night.... totally innapropriate formation and players for the team they were playing. Bilic, on the other hand, had done his homework well.

Looks like Germany is meeting Portugal sooner than it thinks!

Awesome games tonite. Im going to scale back my enthusiasm to see Italy do well. I hope France step up though :)

mtfbwya

Turns out that Croatia outplayed Germany today. I had included Italy as one of my avorites because I was comparing them to the game I'd seen earlier that day. Romania vs France was boring to watch on many levels, and neither side played well. Italy - Holland on the otherhand was the opposite, both sides attacked and both sides were tested and both sides put together some quality plays. I felt 3-0 wasn't the true indicator of the game. While I hesitate to say it flattered Holland, I think it was "unflattering to Italy." If the Linesman decided (right or wrong) that the first goal was offside and if Van Der Sar had been just slightly off, it could have been a game that ended in 2-2. I didn't see the Germany - Poland game until the end, and I just figured that they played their usual efficiant game. And 2-0 vs Poland wasn't a score on paper that seemed to be major. Thier performence today that I was able to catch did not create much confidence in them for very many, I imagine.

WTF!!!! is all I got to say about Germany's match. I mean that was just awful. There in the last few minutes Germany wasnt even getting the ball down the field without having it turned right back around. Half the time it looked liked they were playing more for Croatia than themselves. The defense was disappointing. I mean the times Lehmann got lucky was ridiculous. Germany left gaps that Croatia exploited and I have to say I am highly dissapointed. Germany became highly predictable on the offense always approaching from the left and everytime the ball was passed to the left of the goal the team mate wouldnt be there to receive it. The red card incident cost them valuable time. He had the ball for Germany why he felt the need to turn around and shove the opposing player after getting up is beyond me. It showed poor sportsmanship and little tact. I will say this though the one goal Germany did score was quite nice, but they needed more than that. Sadly they couldnt do it.

I just got around to watching Austria v Poland. Its sometimes easy to ignore these games because they are 'lesser teams' or we have no affiliation with them. It was very impressive, not because of dazzling skills and famous players, but the amazing spirit and intensity the game was played in.

Both teams needed to win, and knew they had a great chance of winning. Neither had the immense expectation of the likes of Italy etc have to put up with, and subsequently didnt have to alter their natural style. They just came out and played, and it was full pace from the start. Good on em. That and the Turkey/ Swiss match(obviously!) have been my favourites so far. Sure, Spain has probably been the most impressive so far, but we really need to see them against a higher level of opposition. Spain v Netherlands would be awesome.

Lets hope Donadoni lets Italy play their natural game tonight, because Romania is going to try its best to stifle them, as they did with France. They need the likes of Del Piero on at the start, and NOT in 4-3-3! Since when has Italy been a 4-3-3 side! No wonder they lost to the Netherlands !

mtfbwya

CROATIA FTW!! IN YOUR FACE GERMANY!!

I have to say, while Germany played really, REALLY poorly, all credit goes to Croatia, who absolutely dominated, the first goal was well played, and, while the second was lucky, we had many more chances to score, Niko Kranjcar blasting a fairly easy one over the bar and a volley which, less than a meter to either side would've gone in, went straight to the keeper. Ivica Olic was man of the match for me, just a hard worker and never gave in.

Ballack was our best player. :xp: He gave us the ball so many times and gave us so many free kicks and he played so poorly, it was unimaginable. Good on ya Ballack. :)

In other news, Holland has destroyed France 4-1, first Italy 3-0 and now this, I wouldn't be surprised if they won, an awesome final would be Holland Vs Spain, but you never know, Croatia's always an outside chance. :)

Yup, yup, Croatia did well. Was rooting for them. Enjoyed the match. Austria should have had a comfortable lead against Poland after the first half, though, so many chances ruined! I'm not sure if the penalty was justified, but I know the refs said before the tournament that they were going to pay more attention to players pulling shirts. Austria deserved the goal, though.

Italy was disappointing again, and Romania could've won the game. And I only watched one half of Holland-France. Couldn't stand it anymore. :p

wow... Netherlands played quite well, although still a little open at the back - they wont get away with that against another strong finishing side.

Italy.. well they can whine on about the first goal all they like, but facts are they still havent sorted their formation out(4-3-3 again!), Zambrotta made a schoolboy error, and Panucci gave away a silly penalty. Totally lucky for them that Mutu messed it up at the spot(as opposed to Buffon pulling off a spectacular save).

tonite: Viva L'Espana! Apart from Greeks, I dont think you'll find anyone wanting Greece to do well, especially after their last showing... Go Guus Hiddink's Russkys !! :D

mtfbwya

CROATIA FTW!! IN YOUR FACE GERMANY!!

I have to say, while Germany played really, REALLY poorly, all credit goes to Croatia, who absolutely dominated, the first goal was well played, and, while the second was lucky, we had many more chances to score, Niko Kranjcar blasting a fairly easy one over the bar and a volley which, less than a meter to either side would've gone in, went straight to the keeper. Ivica Olic was man of the match for me, just a hard worker and never gave in.

Ballack was our best player. :xp: He gave us the ball so many times and gave us so many free kicks and he played so poorly, it was unimaginable. Good on ya Ballack. :)

I stand corrected, you guys played well and deserved the win, I think Ballack just got frustrated with some of the others I think Germany got their selection wrong myself; that Jensen has looked weak in defence all tournament... Fritz offers nothing on the right hand side of midfield, and why oh why bring on Odonkor, all he has is pace... nothing else; which doesn't really help when trying to break down a deep lying defence.That Sergio Gomez has so far also looked out of his depth at this level.

Croatia did play very well though; I have a feeling you will be playing Turkey in the next round. I think you will get to the semi's, though would suspect you will face Portugal, and would I would fancy the Portuguese... though you never know! ;)

In other news, Holland has destroyed France 4-1, first Italy 3-0 and now this, I wouldn't be surprised if they won, an awesome final would be Holland Vs Spain, but you never know, Croatia's always an outside chance. :)

Holland and Spain will meet in the semi's if the play in the knockout stages. Holland played very well, and the French got what they deserved for having such a bad coach; picking on star sign? What's that about, it says it all that their best defender (Mexes) isn't at the tournament because he's a Leo. I bet Trezeguet and Cisse don't know to laugh or cry about what has happened.

Yup, yup, Croatia did well. Was rooting for them. Enjoyed the match. Austria should have had a comfortable lead against Poland after the first half, though, so many chances ruined! I'm not sure if the penalty was justified, but I know the refs said before the tournament that they were going to pay more attention to players pulling shirts. Austria deserved the goal, though.

I tell you what the Poles really annoyed me with their responce to Webb (the referee) instead if blaming the moron of a centre half for that stupid challenge the blame the ref and also conveniently ignored the fact they were only winning 1-0 due to an offside goal.

wow... Netherlands played quite well, although still a little open at the back - they wont get away with that against another strong finishing side.

To be honest though, with the exception of the Romanians and Croatians I don't think any sides have looked wonderful in defence this year. All of the big nations do look vulnerable at the back; with Portugal perhaps having the strongest back line of them all.

Italy.. well they can whine on about the first goal all they like, but facts are they still havent sorted their formation out(4-3-3 again!), Zambrotta made a schoolboy error, and Panucci gave away a silly penalty. Totally lucky for them that Mutu messed it up at the spot(as opposed to Buffon pulling off a spectacular save).

I did feel sorry for Mutu, as he had played well. Is it just me or does Toni never seem to perform when he puts on the Italy shirt; I've never seen him play well for them. I think Cassano should start for them in the next game; if I were selecting their team I would go; 4-3-3; Buffon, Grosso, Panucci, Barzagli, Zambrotta, De Rossi, Gattuso, Pirlo, Cassano, Di Natale, Quagliarella - thats only out of his squad though, think leaving Montolivio out, was a big mistake...

Viva la España! :xp:

lolz...enter the spanish spelling nazi :)

It seems to be a very common error, theres many instances on google. Looks like a hybrid between spanish and the french L'Espagne :p

anyway, Spain nabbed the points, after a slightly worrying performance. Still, it shows you that having some strikers in form can always give you an edge even when the rest of the team are getting muddled :p

mtfbwya

anyway, Spain nabbed the points, after a slightly worrying performance. Still, it shows you that having some strikers in form can always give you an edge even when the rest of the team are getting muddled :p

To be honest I think Sweden's intentions for the game were made clear when they took Ibra off. As for Spain they played badly, but showed something more important; all teams have at least 1 off game in a tournament; Spain have shown they can play badly and win; a quality in the past they have lacked. Villa looked out of sorts all game... then finished brilliantly; unfortunately I think the game would have been much better had Spain been given the penalty they should have had just before half time. But c'est la vie.

Hopefully the Ruski's will knock out anti- football tonight.

And so people must wonder where Mr. I-hate-Italy has gone...

Well, I've had personal problems to sort out, so Lucasforums got the shaft.

But anyway, when there's football talk, I must be there.

Greece was ousted by Russia today. To be honest, thank God. Greece's play is so boring it's downright depressing. Now if Italy went out, we should have some good football all the way to the finals.

I leave you on this...

NederlandEuro2008.jpg

Sexy eh?

And so people must wonder where Mr. I-hate-Italy has gone...

Well, I've had personal problems to sort out, so Lucasforums got the shaft.

But anyway, when there's football talk, I must be there.

Greece was ousted by Russia today. To be honest, thank God. Greece's play is so boring it's downright depressing. Now if Italy went out, we should have some good football all the way to the finals.

I hope it was nothing too serious...

I concur about Greece however,

Italy's defending so far has been worse than schoolboy, and lets be frank they don't have a world class centre back in there squad... So I don't think they can be boring.

I leave you on this...

<snip>

Sexy eh?

Sexy indeed... but not as sexy as her...

Babe2.jpg

There are several reasons why Brazilian football is the best in the world not all football related ;)

I hope it was nothing too serious...

It was...but forums aren't the place for spilling my personal life to the public...

Italy's defending so far has been worse than schoolboy, and lets be frank they don't have a world class centre back in there squad... So I don't think they can be boring.

Ssshhh...I must insert some anti-Italy hate afterall :p

Sexy... but not as sexy as her...

Babe2.jpg

There are several reasons why Brazilian football is the best in the world not all football related ;)

Pfff...I'm so much better -_-

To be honest I think Sweden's intentions for the game were made clear when they took Ibra off. As for Spain they played badly, but showed something more important; all teams have at least 1 off game in a tournament; Spain have shown they can play badly and win; a quality in the past they have lacked. Villa looked out of sorts all game... then finished brilliantly; unfortunately I think the game would have been much better had Spain been given the penalty they should have had just before half time. But c'est la vie.

I completely agree. Spain wasn't very good, but if you've got strikers like Villa and Torres, you're always dangerous. Sweden was unimpressive, but nice goal from Ibra. :)

And yes!! Greece is out! Now Sweden and Russia both have it all in their own hands. Let's hope for an interesting game.

lolz...Greece out. Believe it or not, a few friends and I went out to celebrate :)

Not sure what Turkiye are going to do tonight. When Cze plays well, they can beat anyone, though Turkiye can match most teams if they keep their heads, and take their chances :D

Either way, the Swiss match was great for us, for the revenge factor, and the fact that we have achieved something even Italy and France havent been able to yet ;) (namely, win a match, and score some decent goals)

Panucci's goal, whilst important, was moreso due to a defensive mistake by Romania than any brilliance on their part.... Poor Andrea Pirlo has also been totally thrown off his game by the 4-3-3, and with him out of whack, Toni might as well forget about scoring. If I was Dondoni, I'd leave Toni off, start with Casanno and Del Piero. Their styles gel, whereas Toni's moreso relies on service rather than creating the chance himself...

ah well, Im not the coach, so we'll have to wait n see what 'The Don' does :D

mtfbwya

I thought Sweden played a rather good first half but in the second it seems that Sweden couldn't attack without Ibra and lost the will for attacking . Sweden lost because tried to defend a tie in 45 minutes against Spain.

Lets hope they play better against Russia.

Heja Sverige!

What a game! What a game! Simply awesome - Astro did tell you Turkey would go through :p Commentators amuse me; Cech has made 5 errors like that this season yet they all seem to have selective memory as apparently he's the best goalkeeper in the world (I think Casillas and Buffon are better).

Volkan Demirel is an idiot, he's had such a good tournament, but showed that suspect Turkish temperament what was he thinking?

Croatia - Turkey will be an intriguing game...

Turkey vs Czech Republic was … wow … dose two last goals where … wow … I feel happy for Turkey … great game at the end.

Volkan Demirel is an idiot, he's had such a good tournament, but showed that suspect Turkish temperament what was he thinking?

That was very stupid ... I dont even know why he did that ... it was not nesessary.

NE MUTLU TURKUM DIYENE!!

turkey_gl_e0.gif

Never let it be said that our boys arent fighters ;)

we've given the tourney 2 of the best games so far, good stuff :)

Not worrying about Croatia yet...too much celebrating to be done until then...!!

*takes day off work*

mtfbwya

Archived