Home

Euro 08

I've been looking some stuff up about that match...<snip>

I wasn't aware of any Italians fans posting in the thread...

As a neutral, I'm sure I can give a less rose tinted assessment :p

Italy didn't play badly... The Netherlands played a good counter-attacking game, however you may want to consider on both your counter attack goals Italy nearly scored for Sneijders goal; Van Bronkhorst cleared off the line, and for Van Bronkhorsts goal; Van Der Saar pulled off a stunning save on Pirlo's free kick. The Dutch I think deserved to win, but NOT 3-0, I think 3-2 or 2-1 would have been a fairer result.

As to Van Nistelrooys goal, under current rules it was a 'goal' that doesn't however mean that isn't stupid, and I suspect the rule may well be changed after what happened.

A neutrals 2 cents :p

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fail to see why you're allowed to condescend to me

and consistently offering "your ass" as a response to fellow members opinions is in keeping with the community spirit??

This thread isnt about you, or me. How about we both calm down, watch the soccer and comment nicely. No asses, no fictional planets, no peculiar ice games. OK. How does that sound ? ;)

>> 30 mins to kick off !! GO Spain, Later Sweden!!

mtfbwya

Panuci was clearly not too badly injured, as he was up and fine again in time for the very next play. ;)

I still disagree, when you get flattened you can need about a minute to recover, I don't think Panucci aimed to gain any advantage from going down. :p

Of course most footballers are such panzies who knows?

Onto tonight, Spain were simply awesome best team I've seen so far.

I'm also looking forward to what will hopefully be the Ibra show in 30 mins.

Ugh... I hate Greece!

There victory 4 years ago, wasn't romantic, it was the worst thing to have ever happened on a football pitch!

They should be down to 10 men, they're playing anti-football... Come on Sweden, and I hope Spain frigging well kill them. I want Spain to humiliate them in their game, I hope Ibra gets a goal!

*votes jonathan7 for president*

Greece got their just desserts.... I cant believe the way they were knocking the ball to each other and not attacking in the 1st half. Utterly ridiculous.

And Spain, well they were just superb :) Although, it will be interesting to see what they can do against a more organised defence.

Looking fwd to tmrws matches :) Portugal v Czech has potential to be great, and Im hoping Turkey can salvage something from Switzerland......I hope they have the riot police on standby...last time Turkey met Switzerland, it got a bit ugly :(

mtfbwya

*votes jonathan7 for president*

Hehe, thanks... before I accept though... President of what? ;)

Greece got their just desserts.... I cant believe the way they were knocking the ball to each other and not attacking in the 1st half. Utterly ridiculous.

Aye; its a shame they didn't get their just deserts 4 years ago against the Czechs; who in my opinion should of won 04

And Spain, well they were just superb :) Although, it will be interesting to see what they can do against a more organised defence.

To be honest Spain's performance reminded me of Brazil 2002 vintage where in the group stage they played within themselves, but won and entertained. I think of the Spanish had wanted more they could of got them (I think taking Torres off was an example of them saving themselves). But it will be interesting to see how they fair against Sweden.

Looking fwd to tmrws matches :) Portugal v Czech has potential to be great, and Im hoping Turkey can salvage something from Switzerland......I hope they have the riot police on standby...last time Turkey met Switzerland, it got a bit ugly :(

Aye, hopefully it will be a bit calmer than the last meeting, I expect Turkey to be second to Portugal in the group to be honest; as long as the Turks can hold that famous temper ;)

mtfbwya

May the force be with you too :)

Hmm, Croatia is versing Euro favourites Germany this week, a match I cannot miss under any circumstances, and the Netherlands/France match was a joy to watch IMO, far better than Croatia/Austria, what a slum of a match.

@Jonathon7: I hate Greece to, they didn't deserve to win the previous Euros, there last 2 wins were because of one cheap header and then puttin everyone in defence except for one player, ugly, ugly football that was, terrible to watch, Portugal deserved to win IMO.

@ J7:

Actually pro-Dutch...but I just wanted to clarify there is no reason in the world to hate the Dutch when you fail yourself. I know the Dutch have a weak defense. Players from Blackburn Rovers, Feyenoord and someone who played 5 matches this year shouldn't be a problem for Toni, Del Piero etc. But they were.

Anyways, I was shocked by Russia. I saw Zenit on tv and was amazed by the 4-0 against Bayern Munich. But it seems their national team doesn't have the same power. Although, they do miss Arsjavin...

And Greece got what they deserved. Honestly, I'd love to see an outsider win the tournament. But not with anti-football. From what I've seen now, they 'play not to loose.' Whilst Sweden plays to win. :)

@Jonathon7: I hate Greece to, they didn't deserve to win the previous Euros, there last 2 wins were because of one cheap header and then puttin everyone in defence except for one player, ugly, ugly football that was, terrible to watch, Portugal deserved to win IMO.

I agree, I was routing for Portugal in the final, though overall as I said before I thought the Czech's deserved it.

Brilliant goal by Ibrahimovic. Greece got what they deserve. And a good win by Spain, though I was disappointed by Russia's play. I expected more of them.

Wonderful from Ibra, its what he's all about. and you could tell that Greece didn't have a plan B for if they went behind.

@ J7:

Actually pro-Dutch...but I just wanted to clarify there is no reason in the world to hate the Dutch when you fail yourself.

I don't hate the Dutch :) I thought they played well and are now in a strong position to go on and win the group.

I know the Dutch have a weak defense. Players from Blackburn Rovers, Feyenoord and someone who played 5 matches this year shouldn't be a problem for Toni, Del Piero etc. But they were.

Careful what you say about Blackburn :p Although I would be concerned if I had Oijer in my national teams defence.

Anyways, I was shocked by Russia. I saw Zenit on tv and was amazed by the 4-0 against Bayern Munich. But it seems their national team doesn't have the same power. Although, they do miss Arsjavin...

Partly, Russia are a very much hot or cold team, at home they were brilliant during qualifying but away very poor.

Well, the first comment was for Miltiades...football is a simple game...msot of the time there is a rightfull winner. And for this match, it clearly wasn't Italy.

aaaanyways, Czech Republic - Portugal tonight....let's see where this one goes. If Portugal can push through, imo, they can be a serious candidate for the title. But the Czech team is (again, imo) very strong as well. On a side not, the players of that team I know best aren't there...Nedved, Rosicky...Smicer to some extend...

TUR-KI-YE!! what a crazy game. the rain was unbelievable., and the stoppage time goal :)

Revenge is a dish best served on a rainy day :D

congrats to Portugal of course. Some concern with their defence though, Cze had them open a few times... they wont be able to do that against the likes of Spain..

*runs off to celebrate*

mtfbwya

Ugh... I hate Greece!

There victory 4 years ago, wasn't romantic, it was the worst thing to have ever happened on a football pitch!

They should be down to 10 men, they're playing anti-football... Come on Sweden, and I hope Spain frigging well kill them. I want Spain to humiliate them in their game, I hope Ibra gets a goal!

I like you.

The referee was favoring the Czech's though.

Most football fans normally say that the referee was favouring the opposition ;)

TUR-KI-YE!! what a crazy game. the rain was unbelievable., and the stoppage time goal

Revenge is a dish best served on a rainy day

congrats to Portugal of course. Some concern with their defence though, Cze had them open a few times... they wont be able to do that against the likes of Spain..

*runs off to celebrate*

mtfbwya

Always thought you would finish second in this group to be honest, I think you have more going forward than the Czech's; you need to give the ball to Arda Turan more, it was strange I think he was your best attacking threat but he was ignored by your players for much of the second half.

I like you.

Hehe, thanks :)

Ater the first day, for everyone the teams I was most impressed with were Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Roughly in that order. And Ronaldo was very impressive today. Oh and Sweden made me a fan yesterday. That Ibrahimovic opener was on o the sweetest goals in recent years. The thing I noticed about Russia is they didn't give up, even 3-0 down. I think they have the abilty to rebound relatively well. Espeically against a team like Greece.

Ater the first day, for everyone the teams I was most impressed with were Netherlands, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Roughly in that order.

Italy are an interesting selection; though I would concur that I didn't think they played that badly. I'm surprised you haven't included Germany.

And Ronaldo was very impressive today.

He's probably the best player in the tournament attacking wise, although personally I'd prefer to have Messi or Kaka in my team if I were a club manager.

Oh and Sweden made me a fan yesterday. That Ibrahimovic opener was on o the sweetest goals in recent years.

It was classic Ibra, and a great example of what players with class are all about, they can be playing badly, but can always produce moments of sheer magic.

The thing I noticed about Russia is they didn't give up, even 3-0 down. I think they have the abilty to rebound relatively well. Espeically against a team like Greece.

Russia are a very hot and cold team, on their day they can be very strong, I would expect them to beat Greece, but I think Sweden will prove too strong for them.

Most football fans normally say that the referee was favouring the opposition ;)

Always thought you would finish second in this group to be honest, I think you have more going forward than the Czech's; you need to give the ball to Arda Turan more, it was strange I think he was your best attacking threat but he was ignored by your players for much of the second half.

Hehe, thanks :)

Totally agree about Arda. The UK commentator on the sat feed I was watching was going on about it for the whole game. Im sure he was quiet pleased that when Arda finally did get th eball, he essentially won the match!

If there was no rain, the score may have been quite different. The younger players seem to have their game on much better IMO. Its great for our 2010 prospects :) >>which is something teams like Italy cant say>>>9 players in their squad are over 30!

mtfbwya

Archived