Home

Euro 08

No, I, for one, am not very excited about the news. Deco doesn't have the form, and Eto'o is even worse. How I wished the old times returned, when Chelsea had a balanced team (as opposed to having almost only "stars" now) that was very fun to watch. Zola, Flo, Wise, Desailly, Leboeuf, Poyet,... Ah, memories...

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute and total stone walled penalty and sending off; which was the managers fault; quite why you would play a full-back who can't tackle at centre-back is beyond me, and then when you have to win, why take off Nasri, for a centre-back; who has all the defensive abilities of a fish. France have to win, so it was a stupid substitution.

If France loose (as you have to expect them too now) it is their football associations fault for appointing a moron as a manager.

lolz...Italy always seem to wangle their way in, albeit unattractively ;) I hope Spain can show them that their defense is really shot to pieces atm. Romania of course have themselves to blame for losing to a Dutch 2nd team, but then again, Netherlands have shown they have great depth in their squad.

This a perfect time for French football to do a reboot. Dump Domenech, and all the 98 Remnants...start building on the young talents like Benzema and Nasry etc. Word seems to be that Deschamps is the most likely replacement. I think combining him with a younger generation of players is a great idea... they will already know and respect him... seems to be working for The Netherlands :D

mtfbwya

Italy, like Germany, IMO, is unimpressive, and they'll have to do better if they want to win against Spain. France was again terrible, but bad luck with Ribery and the red card. And if you then have a trainer that can screw up like no one else can, you know it will be a difficult match. France didn't deserve it, and based on what Romania showed, they also didn't. Neither did Italy, for that matter, but someone has to go through. :)

No, I, for one, am not very excited about the news. Deco doesn't have the form, and Eto'o is even worse. How I wished the old times returned, when Chelsea had a balanced team (as opposed to having almost only "stars" now) that was very fun to watch. Zola, Flo, Wise, Desailly, Leboeuf, Poyet,... Ah, memories...

Zola, what a great player.

And you say that Romaina lost to Holland's reserve team, as did Poland to Croatia's reserve team. :)

Well...Holland's 'reserve team' line-up:

Stekelenburg (Ajax, will transer out very soon) Boulahrouz (Chelsea) Heitinga (Atletico Madrid)©, Bouma (Aston Villa), De Cler (Feyenoord), De Zeeuw (AZ, current team of Louis van Gaal), Engelaar (Schalke 04), Van Persie (Arsena;), Afellay (PSV) , Robben (Real Madrid), Huntelaar (Ajax, possibly Juventus).

Yes, a real B-team for sure :dozey:

In others news; heared the rumor that Ribery broke his leg. None of 'my' sources could confirm though.

Also, interesting match tonight. Russia - Sweden...will they dare to let Ibrahimovic play? Will Arsjavin play for Russia? Can't wait! :D

Well...Holland's 'reserve team' line-up:

Stekelenburg (Ajax, will transer out very soon) Boulahrouz (Chelsea) Heitinga (Atletico Madrid)©, Bouma (Aston Villa), De Cler (Feyenoord), De Zeeuw (AZ, current team of Louis van Gaal), Engelaar (Schalke 04), Van Persie (Arsena;), Afellay (PSV) , Robben (Real Madrid), Huntelaar (Ajax, possibly Juventus).

Yes, a real B-team for sure :dozey:

Well it is a B-team in that many are not in the 1st team ;) Though Van Persie and Robben may well be in the first team soon....

In others news; heared the rumor that Ribery broke his leg. None of 'my' sources could confirm though.

I heard he had hurt his ankle and knee... Ankle was badly twisted and they were awaiting scans on his knee to reveal the extent of the problem.

Also, interesting match tonight. Russia - Sweden...will they dare to let Ibrahimovic play? Will Arsjavin play for Russia? Can't wait! :D

Ibra will play a part tonight, I expect Sweden to go through, unless Russia discover how to finish....

Man, I'm so pissed off with Marco van Basten. He allowed Italy to proceed. Well, he will receive proper punishment when Italy pwns Holland 0:1 with a penalty in overtime. Like they always do.

If it weren't for that grave mistake, the Netherlands would probably win the tournament.

Man, I'm so pissed off with Marco van Basten. He allowed Italy to proceed. Well, he will receive proper punishment when Italy pwns Holland 0:1 with a penalty in overtime. Like they always do.

If it weren't for that grave mistake, the Netherlands would probably win the tournament.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you; Italy will have to raise their level significantly to beat Spain...

Italy are very soft at the back, I can see Villa and Torres giving their defenders a run around, so will be up to Buffon to have one of those games. With Gattuso and Pirlo out they have I think all but lost the central midfield battle as well as loosing their playmaker. They lack width; so a win for Italy would be a massive surprise I would venture. I think Spain are quite probably better in every single department.

Yes, Spain is in great form and on paper can easily crush what is left of the lousy Italians...

But you never know with the Italians...some referees like green paper too...

Had a pretty awful evening yesterday...all the horns of this city's Italian community...good that they'll be silenced very soon...

I myself can't wait to see the Italian ego crushed. I'm torn between my desire to see it happen soon, and my desire for the Netherlands to be the team to do it. :p

@ LIAYD: I've got it pretty bad too. 80% of the people in my city are of Italian origin, and they all follow the football. My next door neighbour is Italian, and when Italy won the 06' World Cup, their party lasted 3 days, and was only put to an end on the third night because someone finally called the police. And now that Euro's come around, they've taken to "sportingly" taking down our Netherlands flag out front and replacing it with an Italian one. -_-

But it's all good. Next time they do it, I'ma take it down, stretch it across the driveway, and park my car on it. :D Or possibly move their massive, ugly truck they feel the need to park in front of my house onto it. I wonder if their son is stupid enough to leave it in neutral overnight...

I myself can't wait to see the Italian ego crushed. I'm torn between my desire to see it happen soon, and my desire for the Netherlands to be the team to do it. :p

Perhaps I missed something, but I thought you had already crushed them? ;)

@ LIAYD: I've got it pretty bad too. 80% of the people in my city are of Italian origin, and they all follow the football. My next door neighbour is Italian, and when Italy won the 06' World Cup, their party lasted 3 days, and was only put to an end on the third night because someone finally called the police. And now that Euro's come around, they've taken to "sportingly" taking down our Netherlands flag out front and replacing it with an Italian one. -_-

Charming neighbours.

But it's all good. Next time they do it, I'ma take it down, stretch it across the driveway, and park my car on it. :D Or possibly move their massive, ugly truck they feel the need to park in front of my house onto it. I wonder if their son is stupid enough to leave it in neutral overnight...

If I were you I would just put a massive Netherlands 3 - 0 Italy on their flag...

Perhaps I missed something, but I thought you had already crushed them? ;)

Sure, but we didn't put them out of the competition. I won't be happy until they've been booted from the tournament.

If I were you I would just put a massive Netherlands 3 - 0 Italy on their flag...

I could do, but parking their truck over it also gets across the point that I'm sick of looking out my window and seeing that superfluous Ford atrocity parked in front of my house when there's plenty of room in front of theirs. It's not as if they need a massive truck like that either - the parents both work in an office, two of the kids are too young to drive, and the third kid works at the local grocery store. And Grandma sure as hell doesn't need a truck that size to get to her bridge game every week. There's no need for a truck that large in the city! RAWR! [/offtopic]

Sure, but we didn't put them out of the competition. I won't be happy until they've been booted from the tournament.

Well I'm hoping Spain beat them to be honest, though I don't mind Italians :p I just like the way the Spanish play football!

Ah, Russia!

Excellent football. Second goal was beautifull! :D Let's see what Holland - Russia gives us...two attacking and highly skilled teams. I can't wait!

Edit: With all the respect for Sweden, but starting with 1 striker (Ibrahimovic) untill you look at a 2-0 is just...to conservative. Sweden ended with 3 strikers. That's some country's starting line. Maybe it's time to adjust...the players and potential is certainly there.

Ah, Russia!

Excellent football. Second goal was beautifull! :D Let's see what Holland - Russia gives us...two attacking and highly skilled teams. I can't wait!

Should be a great time, I'm still suspicious about Russia's back line...

Edit: With all the respect for Sweden, but starting with 1 striker (Ibrahimovic) untill you look at a 2-0 is just...to conservative. Sweden ended with 3 strikers. That's some country's starting line. Maybe it's time to adjust...the players and potential is certainly there.

They started 4-4-2 with Larsson and Ibra up front, their biggest problem was their best player (Ibra) wasn't match fit, but they carried no threat without him, old guard is coming in, so interesting times for them.

Russia's fun to watch, always going for it. Sweden was very weak, and Ibrahimovic wasn't very good. They shouldn't have put him in the starting line-up. And if you're team is dependent on one player, you're vulnerable and it doesn't bode well for the rest of the team's quality. I think it's time for Sweden to look out for fresh, young, new players if they wanna catch 2010.

Russia's fun to watch, always going for it. Sweden was very weak, and Ibrahimovic wasn't very good. They shouldn't have put him in the starting line-up. And if you're team is dependent on one player, you're vulnerable and it doesn't bode well for the rest of the team's quality. I think it's time for Sweden to look out for fresh, young, new players if they wanna catch 2010.

To be fair most teams are dependant on one player; think Man Utd and Portugal with Ronaldo, Argentina and Barcelona with Messi...

EDIT: Spotted this which I found interesting... Definite England bias, however brought back some good memories; http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2008/06/best-of-the-e-1.html#more

Obviously, Croatia's gonna win the tourney :xp:

But seriously, I wouldn't count us out, we're a better team than most people give us credit for, and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up toppling some massive team, for instance, Portugal, who we'll verse after beating Turkey.

As Greece has proven in 2004, any team can win it ;)

Im reserving my tip until after the quarters. All I want to see is a team that can put the Netherlands in their place. I hate it when teams get cocky, arrogant and think they are going to win and get complacent(points at Czech Rep) ;)

Whatever country it is, we all admire a team that fights hard for the whole 90 mins. The Netherlands may have done well so far, but they simply havent been tested.

Italy, for all their clowning around, have consistently shown they are a pesky presence in the final stages... if they could bumble their way past Spain, they can do anything :p Of course I hope they dont ! They are so painful to watch at the moment :(

mtfbwya

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you; Italy will have to raise their level significantly to beat Spain...

Italy are very soft at the back, I can see Villa and Torres giving their defenders a run around, so will be up to Buffon to have one of those games. With Gattuso and Pirlo out they have I think all but lost the central midfield battle as well as loosing their playmaker. They lack width; so a win for Italy would be a massive surprise I would venture. I think Spain are quite probably better in every single department.

Luca Toni WILL score eventually.:D

Also, Spain's defenders aren't good either. Though I suppose with Pirlo gone, Italy might indeed have some problems. Well let's see. Perhaps Villa scores another Hattrick. :)

Luca Toni WILL score eventually.:D

Also, Spain's defenders aren't good either. Though I suppose with Pirlo gone, Italy might indeed have some problems. Well let's see. Perhaps Villa scores another Hattrick. :)

Spain are like Brazil and will give you a chance... But Spain's problem at the back is coping with pace; and with the exception of Grosso (who will be against Sergio Ramos) I couldn't name you another quick Italian. It should be a good game; we'll see!

Archived