Home

Backwards Lightsaber

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder: What possible advantage is there to holding your lightsaber like that? I mean, yeah, you can hold your lightsaber any way you want and call it a new form, but how exactly is that helping?

it has the element of mystery. not many people use Shien as a primary style, so not many would know how to counter it well either. keeping your opponent guessing is half the battle.

I personally think it's kinda cool to have the change. I would be a little unconventional in my saber holding if i was that powerful

If he holds it normally, the player won't be able to see it from a third-person perspective.

In JK, JK2, JA, BF2 (I cant think of any more at the moment) the 3rd person perspective shows the lightsaber.

Believe it or not, it is a bit more defensive with a different attack style added. It also is a way to hold a sword (anyone seen equilibrium. I know it's not real but the idea for such a grip had to come from somewhere)

It's different, it bugs just a little, because I don't know how he'll swing :lol: I love to watch Shien in use when fighting with friends, because they always hit something sensative :xp: I'm curious to see how'l he'll swing and fight...

• 2 weeks later...
If he holds it normally, the player won't be able to see it from a third-person perspective.

If I am correct the Jedi Knight games were in 3rd person and I never had a problem seeing the lightsaber. Regarding the original post, I think they just did it so the SA would stand out, wich I hardly see as a good reason.

Here is a Wii gameplay video that was put out several days ago: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/885367/star-wars-the-force-unleashed/videos/forceuwii_070208.html

I'm watching it right now and not seeing the apprentice use the reverse grip, it looks like he is holding his lightsaber like we're used to. TBH I kind of like the reverse grip for him, makes him like "I'm too badass for a normal grip".

I'm watching it right now and not seeing the apprentice use the reverse grip, it looks like he is holding his lightsaber like we're used to. TBH I kind of like the reverse grip for him, makes him like "I'm too badass for a normal grip".

Makes sense. If people are meant to hold the Remote as a saber grip, then the devs must assume that most people won't have training on holding the saber that way.

It's kinda like Twilight Princess. Everyone knows Link is left-handed, though on the Wii version he holds his sword on the right hand, since most people are right-handed.

Here is a Wii gameplay video that was put out several days ago: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/885367/star-wars-the-force-unleashed/videos/forceuwii_070208.html

That is probably just for the Wii version. :giveup:

It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder: What possible advantage is there to holding your lightsaber like that? I mean, yeah, you can hold your lightsaber any way you want and call it a new form, but how exactly is that helping?

Well, since he is obviously a force user he is never unarmed even without his lightsaber, as in the saber being his secondary weapon. So how he "holds" the saber is not too important then, as long as it provides easy access.

If he likes to swing the blade two-handed then the reverse grip is of no good/ill effect, one simply revert to normal two-handed grip during a swing.

Now for MY OWN OPINION, WHICH PROBABLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEV'S MARGINAL UNDERSTANDING OF BLADE COMBAT:

Well, a two-handed grip on a (short) staff type sometimes uses a reverse grip, so that both your thumbs are pointing at each other (well not really, but you get the picture) like the tusken raiders. Since you would hold the 1/3-1/4 of the staff only (if you don't want to switch tips) it is quite usable for lightsaber styles.

Remember that lightsaber is more like a staff (that cut things) than a sword in many says. You never have to worry about the cutting edge, blade direction and such, allowing you to do many things impossable with a regular vibro sword.

Obviously there are disadvantages also for the omni direction supper cutter. The lack of a non-cutting blade means parrying can be hard, as well as super close range encounters. The super cutting ability definitely helps here in really close range, but there are enough stuff in this universe that can at least withstand the "hot blade through butter" cutting speed by slowing it down significantly (ignoring those that can actually parry or disable lightsabers) Your weapon being stuck (or even slowed) for a moment spells big trouble. Hack, even an armor that can take an extra whacking would spell trouble also. Force power helps, but at this range sharp pointy things poses almost as big a danger, if not more.

• 1 month later...

Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

Mumbo jumbo. It's just to make it him look cool, there's nothing else to it, like others have said.

Archived