Home

Holowan Spire V. 2.0?

Sithspecter

Hey, all! I've been pondering for a while, thinking about the original Holowan Spire, and I was wondering if anyone would want to do something like it. It wouldn't have to be the Endar Spire modules or anything, I was kinda thinking maybe a new area or a different one that would look like a Laboratory. We could all have custom heads or whatever, and everyone could write a dialog for themselves. I think that it would be kinda cool, a sort of a community project that everyone could just take a break and have fun with. We wouldn't have to have any major quests or scripting, just some dialog, short or long, a few fights and maybe some new items. If anyone's interested, I'm open to ideas and criticism.

Hey, all! I've been pondering for a while, thinking about the original Holowan Spire, and I was wondering if anyone would want to do something like it. It wouldn't have to be the Endar Spire modules or anything, I was kinda thinking maybe a new area or a different one that would look like a Laboratory. We could all have custom heads or whatever, and everyone could write a dialog for themselves. I think that it would be kinda cool, a sort of a community project that everyone could just take a break and have fun with. We wouldn't have to have any major quests or scripting, just some dialog, short or long, a few fights and maybe some new items. If anyone's interested, I'm open to ideas and criticism.

A word of warning: every attempt at this so far has failed.

I was about to say the same thing. There have been multiple tries at recreating what Doom_Dealer first thought up. However, none have ever gotten to a release stage.

We're not trying to dissuade you - in fact, I have every confidence that you would be able to complete something like this, but it usually becomes more of a headache than a fun project.

The problem lies in who you would put into the project (the modders who deserve it are usually the ones who don't ask, but there's always a clamor from newer members to be put in.) and who does what (the division of labor never works right in community projects).

I would suggest working on it by yourself or with a select few people if you're interested in making a mod of this sort.

I don't have any suggestions for how to decide who to put in, however :)

_EW_

I personally would like to see a K1 version for the major K1 modders included, and a TSL version with the TSL modders included. If there are people who've dabbled in both, then either see which one they did more, or put them in both..

This is an awesome idea, SS, And I hope to see it done ASAP :)

More WIPS? you just never give yourself a break do ya?

Have a Kit-Kat :D

I didn't put a WIP title on it yet... Anyway thanks for the Kit-Kat. I think I'll consider some things before I start on this mod. I do have a lot going on, but I would like to do this. If I do it, I'll at least wait till I'm done with Revan's cape.

@DI&EW: Warnings taken. I realize that it has been attempted before, and I haven't started on it yet, I thought it would be wise to see what everyone else thought.

@DI&EW: Warnings taken. I realize that it has been attempted before, and I haven't started on it yet, I thought it would be wise to see what everyone else thought.

A laudable decision. :)

Something to take into account, IMO, is that this mod is very likely to offend someone. You're just going to have to stick to your choices, if you go ahead with it. My advice on this would be to greater emphasis on released mods, and not just WIPs.

Just an idea :giveup:, but what if instead of everyone making their own stuff to be put into the mod (custom head, dialogue, etc.), you just ask for whatever appearance and name they want and you (or whoever is the creator of the mod) puts them in. A way you could do this would be if you made a thread asking for modders or anyone to just say what appearance and name they wanted. You could treat it as a "first-come first-serve" type thing where the first 25-30 (or however many you want) people would be put into the mod.

Just an idea :giveup:, but what if instead of everyone making their own stuff to be put into the mod (custom head, dialogue, etc.), you just ask for whatever appearance and name they want and you (or whoever is the creator of the mod) puts them in. A way you could do this would be if you made a thread asking for modders or anyone to just say what appearance and name they wanted. You could treat it as a "first-come first-serve" type thing where the first 25-30 (or however many you want) people would be put into the mod.

First-come first-serve is never a good idea. It should be based on merit. People who are important to the community should get a spot, not those who just show up at a certain time.

And DI is right - you will offend someone here.

But FWIW, I love this mod idea and really hope you end up doing it.

Keep us updated :D

_EW_

I'd love to see this mod. it would be awesome for everyone put in, but i don't think that it should be "deserving" people. because peoples opinions change on people who deserve what. so, the Triumvelant modders of the 3rd dimension ( word edit? ) should be in. Ender wiggin for hi shelp with remionders on rules and stuff, and other the modder choice of others.

P.S. the Triumvelant modders of the 3rd dimension was a guess at their title. if its wrong please tell me.

I loved the original holowan spire! I hope you have success with this one.

People who are important to the community should get a spot, not those who just show up at a certain time.

That probably means I won't be in:xp:

And DI is right - you will offend someone here.

I'd like to be in it, but I certainly would not be offended if I wasn't.

Good luck anyway!

SS has done severak things nobody else has managed, maybe he'll do the same here too. ;)

DingDong, your snide yet indirect potshots at DI's posts have grown tiresome.

I wish you every luck in this SS. :)

As has your tendency to make disagreements with you appear directed against a 3rd party (in this case, SS). If you're going to contradict someone's posts, do it openly. But don't try and paint the people who disagree with you in an unfavorable light. It doesn't do you any credence.

In any case, the barriers involved in this project are social rather than technical so your point is invalid. There are no script functions to eliminate the drama that's been associated with so-and-so being or not being included, as useful as they would be.

I hope you'll have good luck with this anyways, SS. :)

Hey Specta I love the Idea, I can imagine an old Settoken Nessen teaching you some of his ways in the force.

It would be cool If we could have a little Break in the game with the opportunity to talk or fight some of the guys from holowan.

Sure that those characters would be very specific and self minded...

You can consider me in the project boy

I seem to remember an attempt at this a while ago...But I didn't sign up. I'd love to go this time though, perhaps even help out with the project.

Perhaps you could even combine this project with the previous one? If you could get permission from Doom_Dealer, that is.

I think the one you're thinking of is when DarthJebus05 offered to put people from Holowan in different spots throughout the game. I'm not sure if he ever did it or not.

When you say combine the project, do you mean to add Doom_Dealer's NPC's to my module, or the other way around?

I think the one you're thinking of is when DarthJebus05 offered to put people from Holowan in different spots throughout the game. I'm not sure if he ever did it or not.

I remember that mod I actually wrote a script similar to a recruitable playable character for Thanatos the self exiled Jedi scout and reskinned Revan's model for that mod although I emailed him my contribution and he said he would work on it during his vacation but that was a long time ago.

thanatos2lz5.th.jpg

I can't wait for your Revan animation mod SithSpecter, I want to see Thanatos's cloak move :D.

It's an interesting idea. I confess I haven't actually played the original Holowan Spire (That and about 1000 other great mods) before, so I'm not in a position to offer any advice on how to make it as good as the original.

But as far as project management is concerned - I strongly, strongly advise that generally you should work on the project alone, only relying on other people when it comes to "Member NPC" dialogue and "Member NPC" appearance. Involving other people with scripting, pacing, design and so on will only serve to needlessly complicate and slow things down. :p

And as for deciding who and who not to include within the "Holowan Spire", perhaps the deciding factor should be the influence in which the modder wields within the KOTOR modding community? Both in terms of creating mods/content (For example, Quanon), and offering support to existing modders (For example, Stoffe).

Sure, the people who aren't included will get upset. But that's their problem, and it will only serve to inspire them to spend more then a few days on a project before releasing it for download. So they themselves can be featured in the Holowan Spire, the ingame home of the KOTOR modding communities "cream of the crop". :p

Of course, these are only suggestions. It's up to you to decide on how to organize the project. So, good luck. :)

Archived