Home

Is TOR as good as KOTOR III?

Darth_Yuthura

Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Is TOR as satisfying to people as KOTOR III?

• It's an ending and I'm glad that they will continue from TSL.
    • Being 300 years too late killed the story.
    • Couldn't care less. The gameplay is what matters.
    • There's absolutely no way to know until TOR actually comes out.

I very much doubt that.

You ignore the fact that they didn't create a TSL conclusion, nor did they even intend to.

So you are saying I could make a better conclusion. Not having one at all is worse than a poor ending.

TSL left off with a great cliffhanger, but Lucasarts probably couldn't come up with a decent resolution, or didn't bother trying, so they just left it up to gamer's imaginations.

Remember the Next Generation episode 'Best of Both Worlds' Part one was the greatest episode of that series, but the second part had a terrible resolution that detracted from all the suspense of the first part. TSL was very much the same way, so they didn't even try.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so arrogant as to think I can top an entire production team.

I'm simply saying that I can top a production team that does nothing at all. If they were to come up with a resolution to TSL, it would be better than anything I could create. However, because they haven't...

Essentially anyone could do that... I'm not pointing to me.

You mean to tell me that you see almost no connection between the current KOTOR games and what is being announced here? Seriously?

I agree with this particular comment. I am not a hard core kotor fan, but it is one of the most enjoyable SW games. But like prime said, its hard not to see a connection between the Tor and Kotor. Not saying that kotor is completed by the release of Tor but seems to me like Tor is a good escape for both those Kotor fans that also like mmo's, SW general fans, and all the forgotten SWG fans. SWG had a wicked rp society. so many SW nerds like myself in there. With the quality of storyline that Bio can produce, id say Tor will pretty much cover every aspect any game can have (thus far in technology). If the thought of an mmo, other players talking to you, and people looking at you on their screens, i say create a private server of Tor and wallaah! kotor 3. haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm simply saying that I can top a production team that does nothing at all. If they were to come up with a resolution to TSL, it would be better than anything I could create. However, because they haven't...

What you don't seem to accept is that there is an ending. Is it a bad one? Depends on the player. For me it was one of the worst they could have made, but it's still an ending, and a cliffhanger, as you said. Now, you may claim there's no ending, but there is one, you merely don't like it.

What you don't seem to accept is that there is an ending. Is it a bad one? Depends on the player. For me it was one of the worst they could have made, but it's still an ending, and a cliffhanger, as you said. Now, you may claim there's no ending, but there is one, you merely don't like it.

I think what he was asking for was to have KOTOR III contain a resolution to TSL's cliffhanger

I thought that TSL ending was decent had it properly been finished in the first place. The reason why that ending is so terrible now is because of this new game that makes the True Sith resolution expected for the third installment come to an anti-climatic conclusion. If there were a KOTOR III that defeated the True Sith, then TSL would have meant something.

I thought that TSL ending was decent had it properly been finished in the first place. The reason why that ending is so terrible now is because of this new game that makes the True Sith resolution expected for the third installment come to an anti-climatic conclusion. If there were a KOTOR III that defeated the True Sith, then TSL would have meant something.

TOR's backstory is the epilogue for the moment that TSL was building. Putting it in that context, the KOTOR storyline wasn't quite ready for TOR just yet. Sure, KOTOR III could have been an MMO, but the moment that TSL was building needed to be experienced by us the player (we experienced everything else!).

As of right now, I would say TOR has ruined TSL's ending, but I do think it's still a bit early to cement that thought, so it is subject to change.

First lets talk story.

Not only are a large amount of people upset about the player not being able to finish what they started. (With Revan, Bastila, Carth, etc.) 300 years later, all the characters that have made this story what it is, are now dead. They cleared the casting line. Not a single original character will return. I find that a little upsetting. All the character development in the last 2 games? Gone. Pointless. Bye, bye.

TSLs ending is just another piece of the epic fail cake. The ending was (at least from what I gathered.) attempting to leave you on the edge of your seat wondering "Is Revan dead, is Revan alive, where could Revan be?"

Nope. 300 years later. Hes dead. End of that.

Now lets talk MMO decision.

I continue to harp back to these points.

TSL (As we can all agree.) was heavily criticized by a large proportion of the KoTOR fan-base as either unfinished, or unworthy when compared to its predecessor.

Starwars Galaxies (Lucases CURRENT STARWARS MMO.) was heavily criticized, for whatever reasons, by a vast majority of starwars fans...period.

TFU was, from what I heard, also very over-hyped. Another disappointment to many starwars fans.

Ladies, lets do some math.

TSL = Satisfying.(Reviews Score it at a B+ game.)

Starwars Galaxes = Unsatisfying. (Reviews Score it at a C game.)

TFU = Disappointing (Reviews Score it at a C- game.) Anyone see the trend?

Take TSLs storyline, and apply it to Starwars Galaxies game-type, then add in the factor of LAs most currently released game title.

= Epic fail.

Seriously. Bioware is the only saving grace for LA on this game. If it was anyone else, the project wouldn't have made it off its feet.

Any real BUISNESS would have realized there would be more money in releasing an awsome sequel to pump up the build for the MMO. (A la Blizzard and their Warcraft series.)

Why should I even bother pointing out that the entire world is JUST ENTERING into a global economic crisis, and that people won't be happy paying monthy for even basics. Let alone entertainment.

Gotta love LAs tenacity to screw over their loyal fans though. Right?[/RANT]

Not only are a large amount of people upset about the player not being able to finish what they started. (With Revan, Bastila, Carth, etc.) 300 years later, all the characters that have made this story what it is, are now dead. They cleared the casting line. Not a single original character will return. I find that a little upsetting. All the character development in the last 2 games? Gone. Pointless. Bye, bye.

Thanks. Nice to know there are others who've noticed such significant details about such an irrelevant piece of fiction. If KOTOR is just doomed to die, at least let it die with some dignity.

I agree with all the reasons you gave.

• 2 weeks later...
First lets talk story.

TSLs ending is just another piece of the epic fail cake. The ending was (at least from what I gathered.) attempting to leave you on the edge of your seat wondering "Is Revan dead, is Revan alive, where could Revan be?"

Nope. 300 years later. Hes dead. End of that.

Now lets talk MMO decision.

I continue to harp back to these points.

TSL (As we can all agree.) was heavily criticized by a large proportion of the KoTOR fan-base as either unfinished, or unworthy when compared to its predecessor.

Starwars Galaxies (Lucases CURRENT STARWARS MMO.) was heavily criticized, for whatever reasons, by a vast majority of starwars fans...period.

TFU was, from what I heard, also very over-hyped. Another disappointment to many starwars fans.

Ladies, lets do some math.

Take TSLs storyline, and apply it to Starwars Galaxies game-type, then add in the factor of LAs most currently released game title.

= Epic fail.

Seriously. Bioware is the only saving grace for LA on this game. If it was anyone else, the project wouldn't have made it off its feet.

Any real BUISNESS would have realized there would be more money in releasing an awsome sequel to pump up the build for the MMO. (A la Blizzard and their Warcraft series.)

Why should I even bother pointing out that the entire world is JUST ENTERING into a global economic crisis, and that people won't be happy paying monthy for even basics. Let alone entertainment.

I totally agree here, they could have at least finished the trilogy. look at what bioware was capable of in mass effect. imagine a kotor game like that, it would be an awesome game! i guess its too good to be true then...

I agree... obviously, but never really mentioned that the movies worked well as trilogies instead of individual pieces. When you have a consistent group of characters over a span of three, you get to know them better and watch them change and grow. That doesn't exactly work the same as in KOTOR, but the second game was essentially supposed to be like 'Empire strikes back.' If 'Return of the Jedi' took place 300 years later, then what's the point?

I'm not holding onto hope that TOR will be as good as KOTOR III. To start out by erasing most of what developed within the first two games detracts from the game's potential. TOR is NOT going to attract KOTOR fans because of this. All they had to do was place the story within a decade of the last game... simple as that. Now we have something that is completely original, but kills any conclusion for the characters of KOTOR.

Archived