Home

Is it not cool?

TSR

So on my way home this afternoon, I decided I'd drop in my local CEX and see what games i could pick up to try and combat the nothingness that I had planned for the rest of the day. Browsing around, I sadly see that all the 360 games are either already in my possession or are not sold for a reason. Then I spy a right little gem. The Classic xbox games section. Score.

Off I toddle, and within seconds I spy our faithful friend, KOTOR 1. Played and completed multiple times many moons ago, but hell, it's almost retro gaming now. Feeling quite happy with my find, I do the British thing and find a till that has a queue and wait to pay this scruffy young man behind the counter my hard earned money.

Wahey, it's my turn. And this gentleman behind the till, whom I can't recall his name and so for the purpose of this thread shall be referred to as "Bernard", looks at my hard found trophy i have placed on his desk. He looks at me and says "dude, you still have an xbox classic? That's sad man"

The cheek of it.

Now this man had no idea of my situation and/or plans yet dared to pass judgement on me.

I know this isn't an amazingly important event, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else has bought something from a shop/friend/street urchin and been pre-judged in such a way as to cause offence. Where in these peoples contracts does it give them the right to be such basta**s?

Well, I guess I have grown thick skinned enough to let it roll off most days.

If I am feeling particularly abrasive or something...I give him a blank dead-on stare right after he said it and wait until the transaction was done and say one of 3 things:

1) Sad, huh? GO **** YOURSELF!

2) Hey, at least it ain't as sad as being a scruffy loser behind the desk of a game retail store whose highest desire in life currently is to do a low wage easy job and act like god behind a cash register. (he gives a look) Oh, didn't see that one coming, did you? <then walk away with attitude which is sure to show your irritation>

3) Well, manchild, if you think that is sad, then you ought to take a closer look at yourself; one does not throw bricks in a straw house.

Oh, and I learned long ago not to buy games from electronic retailers, especially GameStop in the US, mainly due to the bastardly ways of its staff.

Amazon.com should be everyone's best friend.

My experience runs exactly contrary to yours. The Gamestop close to where I used to live with my parents (if 30 miles away and crossing the nv state border is close) was good as were the other two near it. The one I go to here in norther to central CA is okay. A bit tense though, because armed robberies have happened around here lately. I guess it depends on area? (having a 'don't **** with me' demeanor when you sense the people are going to be dicks doesn't hurt in that case)

Amazon has screwed with me several times. And friends of mine. Double charging. Then fighting it when you try disputing it to them.

While not related to game purchasing online, but in general at ebay here and he posts his good stuff on his site http://www.repairfaq.org. You'll find it somewhere in the laser section. ;)

QFT. "Bastardly ways" :lol: Thats why I buy my games online.

Eh, I have never had a problem with electronics before but I've been judged while shopping. I once bought a bracelet for my friend (a girl) and was told by the laughing cashier "Dude, thats a girl bracelet. (As if I didn't know that seeing as I it in the women's jewelry section.) :dozey: It's not for me you freak...what a moron...no social skills whatsoever.

I'd reply in a cocky tone: "Yeah. You wanna know why I am buying it? Because I am SOOO getting lucky tonight!!! ....and you're not!" :smirk2:

Try buying tampons for a girlfriend. Yeah, it's ridiculous.

Dude, I know we have our differences, but, I'm a toss those aside for the moment. I know exactly what you are talking about since I have been there, and I can totally sympathize.

I can't find it right now, but this calls to mind an add pic for some booze (Absolut? Smirnoff? Something like that?)...it was a pic of a guy carrying 4 bags for his lady. Yes, out spending his hard earned $$$ on her lavished shopping spree. She was grabbing him by the arm subtly and pulling like she was dragging him around...and drawn in via CGI was a ball'n'chain like prisoners of old times wore.

The slogan: Your free time may have changed, but your drink doesn't have to.

I feel your pain, bro.

Hahahaha! :lol:

Did she make you hold her purse for her in public, too?

Ugh. Or her spoiled, annoying, vicious, coddled little lap dog. You know, just the kind you'd LOVE to backhand if it wasn't her's. If that wasn't bad enough, her mom is also trying to load you down with honey-do errands and stall you from going out the door.

Ah, The things we men do for that "cookie".

But that's Amore! And the price you pay. :p
Tell me about it. :roleyess:

I would buy them, but never give them to your mother, and give her the reciept without saying a word about it.

Now that's some tasty vengence.

Great idea--I'll have to try that. :dev14: Thanks!

Hubby's bought some for me a few times--they just scan the box and toss it in the pile of other items and groceries and never gave him a hard time. I suppose having the wedding ring on one hand helps--"Oh, he has a wife--ok".

Try buying condoms, especially if you're permanently 29. The guy blushed when he scanned them and gave me the 'I didn't know people your age have sex' look. Apparently after age 25 one is supposed to become celibate. I almost said to him "I like to keep my husband _very happy_, thank you very much, and I'll see you in a few days when we run out again," just to see how red I could make him, but I decided he was suffering enough.

:freakout: AAAAAAAGGGHHH! RUN THE ELDERLY ARE GETTING FREAKY!

JUST KIDDING!

:laughing::lol:

:rofl:

Actually, Jae, you know I actually thought you were some mid-late 20's something gal (and a really sassy one at that) when I first came here. I don't know--it's just something in the way you sound in your posts. The way you come across as a certain, like, 'I just got married and I'm still hot and flirting' persona.

I'm so happy for you that you have managed to keep the spark alive in your relationship. That's hard to do. Since a pal of mine got married, it has gradually declined into grouchfest for him and his woman.

@topic: two words: online, auctions. o_Q

@rest of thread: :argh:

*Not* without a little research first.

It may well be worth having to deal with jerks so long as you can be there in person to inspect it...you don't have that luxury online for used games. And prayers...but I usually like to do everything in my power possible to ensure a deal won't go down wrong before deferring to a higher power. ;)

It may well be worth having to deal with jerks so long as you can be there in person to inspect it...you don't have that luxury online for used games. And prayers...but I usually like to do everything in my power possible to ensure a deal won't go down wrong before deferring to a higher power.

ill have you know that 90% of my online bought games arrived in pristine, pristine condition. so this is still warranted: o_Q

Ugh. Or her spoiled, annoying, vicious, coddled little lap dog. You know, just the kind you'd LOVE to backhand if it wasn't her's.

I wouldn't care if it was hers. Any dog that even tries to bite me is going to get hurt, no matter whose it is.

Tell me about it. :roleyess:

Hey, how do you think the girlfriend feels, stuck at home with nothing?

Actually, Jae, you know I actually thought you were some mid-late 20's something gal (and a really sassy one at that) when I first came here. I don't know--it's just something in the way you sound in your posts. The way you come across as a certain, like, 'I just got married and I'm still hot and flirting' persona.

)

It's not the years, it's the mileage.... :xp: We've been married almost 19 years, and it's been the best years of my life by far. Point Man is an awesome man and husband.

So on my way home this afternoon, I decided I'd drop in my local CEX and see what games i could pick up to try and combat the nothingness that I had planned for the rest of the day. Browsing around, I sadly see that all the 360 games are either already in my possession or are not sold for a reason. Then I spy a right little gem. The Classic xbox games section. Score.

Off I toddle, and within seconds I spy our faithful friend, KOTOR 1. Played and completed multiple times many moons ago, but hell, it's almost retro gaming now. Feeling quite happy with my find, I do the British thing and find a till that has a queue and wait to pay this scruffy young man behind the counter my hard earned money.

Wahey, it's my turn. And this gentleman behind the till, whom I can't recall his name and so for the purpose of this thread shall be referred to as "Bernard", looks at my hard found trophy i have placed on his desk. He looks at me and says "dude, you still have an xbox classic? That's sad man"

The cheek of it.

Now this man had no idea of my situation and/or plans yet dared to pass judgement on me.

I know this isn't an amazingly important event, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else has bought something from a shop/friend/street urchin and been pre-judged in such a way as to cause offence. Where in these peoples contracts does it give them the right to be such basta**s?

I was laughed at upon buying KOTOR recently after the salesboy asked if i wanted kotor 1 or 2, i replied one, and earned some mockery.

Gits, aren't they?

Just laugh at them and tell them you still play Doom 2 on a 486/66 with 32 MB of RAM and a 40 MB drive... then ask them if they can actually work MS DOS.

Then laugh again then tell them just who is uber and who is the lamer working at a game store, then walk out.

Gets em every time. Or you get into a fight. ;)

I wouldn't care if it was hers. Any dog that even tries to bite me is going to get hurt, no matter whose it is.

Oh, she was sooo 2 girlfriends ago. I was still learning. It is a dealbreaker though when your emergency stash of cash disappears and you catch her in the middle of snorting something in your room.

Well, now who says I haven't put that little noisemaker in its place? An old Jewish fox taught me this one: A douse of atomic hot sauce all over your hand when she's gone goes a loooong way if it's a biter. See that way you keep your dignity and you keep the cookie coming as well. Besides the dog never bit me or anyone else again.

Manipulative like a young Palpatine? Oh heavens no! What ever gave you that idea? :dev9:Though I'd gladly take that as a compliment!

Just remember not in FRONT of her... you know ...uhhm... the requirements tend to 'increase' over time to keep her pleased enough with you to give you some more of that "cookie".......And you're kind of in need of it because you have been screwing up lately...

Luckily I'm pretty much religious about not having a cell phone, or being readily contactable.

Hey, how do you think the girlfriend feels, stuck at home with nothing?

:migraine: GRRRRRRR!

It's not the years, it's the mileage.... :xp: We've been married almost 19 years, and it's been the best years of my life by far. Point Man is an awesome man and husband.

Well, it is a matter of long term. :)

@ thread

Attempting to steer it back on course.

You think clerks can be rude for only slightly post modern games, imagine the weird looks you get with arm-fulls of old NES and SNES stuff. People are all like, "you damn caveman".

What? Whaaat? Somebody said RETRO--blame them, not me.

There happen to be people who still like it. Yours truly, thank you very much.

It's Broken? Not a problem. You would not believe how simple if not trivial it really is to fix it. Anyone got that old NES in their closet they want to get back up and running again? Check out http://www.nesrepairshop.com. They have everything you could ever want. Plus drop me a line--maybe I can help.

Plus, not that I dislike the red LED indicator, but I modded mine to a different color: Amber yellow. I suppose you could go to radioshack and get an LED though that's rather overpriced.

You can buy specialty LEDs online at http://www.goldmine-elec.com. They have in addition to the normal colors some specialty colors: Purple (near UV caution), rainbowRGB (trippy), Teal (blue-green), red orange, and lime.

I actually have proof that I am a regular customer.

I went into GameStop tonight to trade in some games, and the guys behind the counter know me, cuz I'm a regular customer. So, the manager looks in his email, and relizes that the price on Call of Duty 5 is off by about $10. He looks at me and asks if I wanted it for the cheaper price. As awesome as the deal was, I already had the game. But still, it was awesome.

Archived