Home

Filefront no longer 'indefinitely suspended'

:) Hi, I saw a link to this site in filefront and decided to register because I heard you'll be having (at least some of the) kotor mods downloadable here. Or something like that..

Now I'm overwhelmed and don't really know how to navigate these sites. Is there really no welcoming thread of any type here?:(

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Shem, I'm quilty of the youtube message thing too. I stumbled on your videos and have been a lurker, lol. Since I 'knew' you from filefront and youtube (as a lurker) I thought you would be the one to ask.

Now I feel really bad, dude. Think of it as a moment of fangirly panic and know you really don't have to get back to me personally.

Sorry again,

~*~Revan

Oh for gods sake, come on.

This is not an April Fool's joke.

If it was, the Senior Management would have stopped us when they saw how much trouble we were going to in backing up sites, and certainly when they found out money was being spent on new sites and servers.

So enough of the 'it's a joke' chat..

This is 100% genuine, and all your posts are doing is making it more difficult to see the posts contining updates on the new Network, and other USEFUL info.

Oh for gods sake, come on.

This is not an April Fool's joke.

If it was, the Senior Management would have stopped us when they saw how much trouble we were going to in backing up sites, and certainly when they found out money was being spent on new sites and servers.

So enough of the 'it's a joke' chat..

This is 100% genuine, and all your posts are doing is making it more difficult to see the posts contining updates on the new Network, and other USEFUL info.

QFE. I really don't understand this 'it's a joke' mentality. It's not an April fool's joke, because, as someone pointed out, it's not even April.

Does anyone really think that a company would sack its staff as part of an elaborate joke?

Will the link to the new network and network forums be posted here on this thread? When each author gives their permission to put their mods up on the new kotor sub site of the network, you won't be reposting the outdated older versions of their mods with the line through them? Because it'd be great if the ones with the lines through them just get dumped. It would reduce section clutter in my opinion.

So correct me if I'm wrong about the synposis of all of this. Okay so all the reviews, database, and info was successfully backed up of all of filefront? And so this network will be run by the predacessors of the people currently running the soon to be gone filefront? Those at filefront were working for a salary. On this network, will those people recieve pay, or is this all going to be a volunteer run network?

How can we as the fans help with the new network?

All the paid FileFront staff will be out there looking for new jobs now, and I genuinely wish them all the best.

The new network's going to be non-profit. Any and all revenue pays for the servers, the advertising agency gets their agreed commission, and what's left goes into a bank account to pick up any slack in case ad revenue drops steeply. So naturally as far as the network staff goes, again we'll be running on a volunteer basis.

Community support is always going to be necessary, as is any feedback, suggestions, for improvement, etc. Patience and understanding will also be a great aid - there's at least 40 network sites and contents to bring back up, thus in the early days the network's likely to be rather basic in the way of new features and functionalities, since our main priority is saving the content and getting it available to the communities again.

On the topic of outdated files, they're actually addressed by one of the improvements to the file info layout which I'm going to suggest at the first possible opportunity.

I feel for you, Shem. These kinds of things have happened to me before but never on this kind of scale. I'm not worried about the mods whatsoever, I'm just sad how so much effort will be gone, and being out of contact with the community.

But thinking about the next site, does it even have to have more than 8 MBs of memory? It could be kept free by simply linking to rapidshare files. No money problems with that. The design could also be based on KOTOR Files', even with the same banner and colour scheme.

You don't need corporate backing to generate enough revenue to sustain the network. You just need to be smart about it, and carefully balance creating productive revenue streams against minimizing the disruption they cause for the end user.

What lawsuits? I hope the former Filefront staff get good jobs. I know they will. I actually envy them. They are lucky to have that they worked at Filefront. The Filefront. That has to be like a great gem if it were on anyone's resume. Good luck guys.

Also I had an idea. In the mean time when there are no mod database sites to get our favorite mods, how about we do this. We in a thread on this forum, put together a list of author's site links. Sorta like a mod database, but instead of a listing of mods its a listing of sites. This way people can still get at least many of their mods. Or is something like this already on this foru?

I just found out a few minutes ago, pretty much as the plug is pulled. I almost feel sick since I have been downloading and enjoying what Filefront had to offer for years. This recession seems to have affected their ability to remain online . . . I have been pretty busy as of late so this is like a bolt out of the blue for me.

I admire the organized effort to save the contents of Filefront but even if all the files are saved, new sites and new mod servers will have to be created. If it has not been proposed anyway, I think there should be donation drive to help fund setting up Filefront's successor. If everyone who used it, I mean everyone from every partner site contributed, then there would probably be enough to help start something new.

P.S. Sorry Shem. I know you and many other people put a lot of work towards the KOTOR Filefront community. My heart goes out to the other volunteers of Filefront who did so much for so little. Even if a new mod hosting community comes along, it will not replace Filefront in your hearts and minds. I only hope you stick around with us . . .

Lets lock and load! Someone needs to die for this.....

Well I'm off to be depressed.

At All Filefront staff: I am so sorry about this. I just want to thank you all for the good work you put in to everything on that site. I loved every review I read. You are all extraordinary people!

Thank you all so much

Lets lock and load! Someone needs to die for this.....

Your gonna kill someone over a gaming site closing down? Not that I like those to blame for the financial crisis, but there are people in far more dire straits than the KotOR community.

Well I'm off to be depressed.

Be depressed about the billion people starving in the world, be depressed over what someone like Josef Fritzl does to his own family, don't be depressed over this...

At All Filefront staff: I am so sorry about this. I just want to thank you all for the good work you put in to everything on that site. I loved every review I read. You are all extraordinary people!

Thank you all so much

Thanks, my main thoughts go to Shem, he's the one who did so much to make KotOR Files the site it was.

Archived