Home

LucasArts at E3 2009

^^^QFT.

It'll never happen, but I want a real KotOR3 instead of being pigeon-holed into playing a damned MMO that I didn't ask for or want in the first place, complete with horrible, cartoony graphics and the inevitable Bioware shallowness and predictability. :carms:

"Hey guys, remember when LucasArts made games? That was awesome."

Purer words have rarely been spoken.

As much as I want to say here that I want LA to make a smashing announcement about a resurgence of their awesomeness, I know that is not going to happen. :(

RIP Former LucasArts

i'm wanting them to announce 3 games, actually.

i want: Republic Commando 2, Empire at War 2, and KotOR 3. those three games have *the* most potential to be great games with the groundwork laid out by their predecessors.

i don't want an MMO or another Battlefront, and i don't really want another hack 'n slash (although i could be a bit more open to that depending on the circumstances).

will any of that happen?? not likely. :(

The only games I expect to be possibly announced are Battlefront 3 and a Clone Wars game for Xbox 360 and PS3. For Battlefront 3, it depends if LucasArts just completely scrapped what was already done or if they took it to another developer. There are rumors of a clone wars game called Republic Heroes in development by Krome Studios, the same makers of the other terrible Clone Wars game for Wii and Force Unleashed for Wii. It'd be great to see something completely unexpected, but I think from what we know about LucasArts recently, it's unlikely.

Even though I'm not a huge Battlefront guy, I hope they do announce the game. It'd be hard to mess it up and it'd be good to see something people actually want for next gen systems (and hopefully PC too).

Another unlikely announcement would be Jedi Knight 4.

Man, this thread is quickly degenerating into "What I wish that LucasArts would do but I know that they won't". :(

God, the only real thing that LA is showing (that we know of) is TOR and the new Indy game, both of which aren't any where close to spectacular. No KotOR III, no EaW II, no BF3; nothing.

The only could make them sink any lower would be announcing TFU2.

Man, this thread is quickly degenerating into "What I wish that LucasArts would do but I know that they won't". :(
that's what happens when a good developer starts realizing that they can exploit a brand and starts contracting out licenses for subpar products. then, everybody that used to enjoy what they made has to settle for what they branded.

i swear, LA is turning into what EA was just a few years ago. :mad:

Much TOR talk and just that. Nothing worthy getting excited for.

I wonder what's the use of setting the "one Star Wars game per year rule" if the quality just goes downhill. And if they don't respect it.

i want: Republic Commando 2, Empire at War 2, and KotOR 3. those three games have *the* most potential to be great games with the groundwork laid out by their predecessors.

While, on the real world, we're left hanging. :mad:

Very informative, tk. Thanks for posting that. Interesting how news volume spiked even higher for the TOR announcement than when RotS hit the theaters and its corresponding game came out. Of course it's pretty easy to see the downward trend in all of this.

I'm expecting another Clone Wars game announcement out of E3. Beyond that, I have no clue. LucasArts still seems to be in the "focus on quality, make fewer games" mode though as Moeller points out some have not felt LucasArts' latest releases to be of great quality. Since I haven't played any of them however I'm not passing judgment, just making the observation.

I want a Star Wars game for PC to be announced. Note that is not on my expected list though. :(

• 5 weeks later...

At long last, LucasArts President Darrell Rodriguez has moved past obligatory comments in press releases and has written in some depth about the company he has helmed for the past year, giving LucasArts fans some idea of what the publisher has in store for the future. Writing in a blog on developer website Edge Online, Mr. Rodriguez reviews the games being shown at E3, reveals a "heritage program" at the publisher, and reports the publisher's renewed focus on creating games with great stories and memorable characters, including building new IP.

Source: Edge Online

LucasArts games being shown at E3 are:

Star Wars Clone Wars: Republic Heroes

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Heritage Program?

...one of my personal passion projects is our heritage program, and since I’ve started at the company, we have been focused on finding new ways to bring our popular titles to both new and old fans. Games like The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, which we just announced at E3 for Xbox 360 and PC. Completely re-mastered and re-imagined from the original 1990 game, we can’t wait for players to reacquaint themselves with title they grew up loving. Fans will also be able to unlock Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings on the Wii coming out June 9. This is just the beginning.
Says Mr. Rodriguez (italics added).

Just one question. Does KotOR qualify for membership in the heritage program? ;P

LucasArts games being shown at E3 are:

Star Wars Clone Wars: Republic Heroes

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Check out the E3 part of the forum. Jeff and I were in the Lucasarts meeting room for a good part of today's E3, and we either watched demos or played demos of the above games.

The SWTOR preview I'm doing is huge, as Jeff and myself were literally like the first press to get to see the demo and it blew both of us out of the ****ing water. More info in a day or so, but we got an exclusive interview with a producer, were the first to see the demo, and are going back tomorrow to see the demo again to catch anything we may have missed. Even Jeff, who was none too hot on the idea, was blown away.

The quality of this game is astonishing, and their goal is jaw dropping. The best way I can describe it is Mass Effect with multiplayer elements. Kotor 3 would simply not be able to live up to this game at this point in my opinion. More soon.

As for the rest of the games, got some threads up on Republic Heroes and Indy. The DS/PSP Battlefront was also a lot of fun, and that thread will be up tomorrow. Jeff was literally the very first media to see the Monkey Island stuff at E3 (I dropped him off at the hotel where the devs were before E3 for the interview), so he'll have an exclusive interview and previews up in a day or two.

LucasArts did good this year, and both Jeff and I agree they were far, far better than expected this year.

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=752

God, the only real thing that LA is showing (that we know of) is TOR and the new Indy game, both of which aren't any where close to spectacular.

If SWTOR doesn't end up being spectacular after what I saw today, then I may as well give up on gaming and gamers in general.

Check out the E3 part of the forum. Jeff and I were in the Lucasarts meeting room for a good part of today's E3, and we either watched demos or played demos of the above games.
I am already watching. ;)

The SWTOR preview I'm doing is huge, as Jeff and myself were literally like the first press to get to see the demo and it blew both of us out of the ****ing water. More info in a day or so, but we got an exclusive interview with a producer, were the first to see the demo, and are going back tomorrow to see the demo again to catch anything we may have missed. Even Jeff, who was none too hot on the idea, was blown away.

The quality of this game is astonishing, and their goal is jaw dropping. The best way I can describe it is Mass Effect with multiplayer elements. Kotor 3 would simply not be able to live up to this game at this point in my opinion. More soon.

So Moeller is going to drop WoW for TOR then? ;P

LucasArts did good this year, and both Jeff and I agree they were far, far better than expected this year.
Yeah, I agree. LucasArts surprised me with the volume of game announcements, the heritage program, and actually making a PC version of Republic Heroes.

Archived