Home

3D Realms Shuts Down. Duke Nukem Forever All But Cancelled. The... I.. OH GOD *sobs*

Boba Rhett

3D Realms would have to sell the IP for that to happen, and I seriously doubt that will happen. George and Scott will probably keep it since 3D Realms will still exist on paper and Apogee is still in business. Scott's RADAR group is still working on Prey 2 for this year, so they will probably sit on the IP for a while and restart development later. That's my guess anyway.

I like how the creation of Halos 1, 2, and 3 is placed in the same category as conquering the world and landing on the moon.

Yeah, that was kinda... no, really stupid.

Also...

Zero Punctuation critic Ben Croshaw has noted that perhaps a decade of anticipation might raise the bar for the game to unreachable levels, saying, "I just hope that 3D Realms understands that if this game doesn't turn out to be history's greatest contribution to human culture and the cure for at least one type of cancer, I and every other reviewer on earth are going to saw its bollocks off."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_nukem_forever

http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2625446&postcount=19

(more or less duplicating my response in that thread)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

.......looks at above article.............

Hmm. I think it got a little revival before rigor mortis set in. It won't be what it was, but anything is better than nothing. Right?

May not make DN forever, but probably for better as my homeboy tommy said. For obvious reasons.

"Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms (3DR) has not closed and is not closing," reads the statement. "3DR retains ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise. Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6, while we regroup as a company. While 3DR is a much smaller studio now, we will continue to operate as a company and continue to license and co-create games based upon the Duke Nukem franchise."

So no Duke Nukem forever, but the studio is going to still be in business. Just much smaller now. What a way to revive it.

Delving deeper:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5LJCCRIwYg0

Take-Two Sues Apogee Over ‘Duke Nukem’ Game Sequel

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the maker of the “Grand Theft Auto” video games, sued Apogee Software Ltd.’s 3D Realms over the failed development of a sequel to the “Duke Nukem” game called “Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two, owner of the publishing rights to the game, said Apogee breached an agreement to design the latest installment of Duke Nukem, a game in which the player “shoots” enemies. The new version has been under development since 1997, the company said yesterday in a complaint in a state court in Manhattan.

3D Realms, which was based in Garland, Texas, never produced the game and instead closed its studio on May 6, terminated development of the game and fired employees who had been involved in the Duke Nukem project, Take-Two said.

“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,” Take-Two said in the complaint. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights to the forthcoming game. In 2007, the two companies entered into a second agreement.

The case is Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. v. Apogee Software Ltd. 601457/2009, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).

Interesting little thing about midway, the Mortal Kombat producer, right below that in article also.

Well, here we have it!!!

no.... n..nn-NO!!

Like many others here, I grew up with the promise of a new Nukem being "done when it's done." Now that it's gone I... I just don't know what to do with myself.

Well, crap, there goes our podcast discussion about it....

If anyone needs me I'll be sitting in my closet drinking peach schnapps, naked and unabashedly micturating on myself, for the next four or five days.

*Jae hands Rhett an empty blue milk bottle to use*

Ah. Bloody details... please? :)

actually, going back and scouring posts in 3dr forums, it turns out I miss-remembered who got what. Not overly surprising since Gathering of Developers was started by 3DR people as well as Ritual people (plus a couple other dev houses). Not to mention Take2 bought GoD a couple years back.

Anyway, it goes like this, GT Interactive published early (and later) Duke games and had the rights to DNF when it was announced in 1997. Infogrames (holding company for Atari) came along and bought up GT Interactive in 1999. After which (in 2000+ ish) they sold the Publishing rights for DNF to Take2 for 6 million up front + 6 when it was published. Obviously the second half hasn't been paid, so apparently Take 2's hissy fit sue-fest was about the first loss, I'm not quite sure on that one.

Now granted I didn't get this info from George/Scott themselves, but it seemed pretty reputible and Joe didn't immediately come in and issue corrections so I take most of it as the truth at least until I see something concrete or more believable.

I'd only have a one week window or so to make it after the destruction of the world but before the new year, haha.

Also:

Kotor 3! :D

EDIT on 5/21:

After reading Groovy's response, I realize that I have no idea what I was trying to say in that post.

O.o

I think I misread something originally.

Archived