Home

Pixar's Up

Achilles

As much as it pains me to say this: You might want to wait for the DVD.

Pete Docter did amazing things with Monsters Inc. I'm not sure what happened here :(

FWIW: the short before the feature was directed by a new guy I've never heard of before. Hopefully that means that Pixar has added another director to their stable :D

Really?

A friend of mine saw a pre-screening and said that he was almost brought to tears multiple times and that he loved the movie.

It wasn't horrible (i.e. Ice Age 2, etc), but it wasn't great either. I expect better than "good" and/or "nice" from Pixar.

All of the reviews that I've seen halve been unanimously golden so far.
Yeah, I've seen those too and I honestly don't know what to tell you :confused:

Considering that it opened Cannes, it may be that reviewers are afraid of panning it (???) *shrugs*

Was there anything bad in it that stood out?
Too many sub-plots. They introduce way too many characters that all have to have their stuff and things resolved by the end and they pace it so quickly that you don't really have time to invest in anyone (except Carl, who's character arc is forced bordering on cliche).

FWIW, I spent the entire drive home last night trying to figure out how else it could have been done and came up blank. So maybe the best way to put it is that they told the story as best they could but the story was sub-par.

I'm still going to see it, though; it's Pixar, so the pedigree alone is worth it.
Of course. :D

I'll still see it once more with my kids, but I won't be going 6 times this weekend like I did with Wall*E, Cars, Incredibles, Nemo, etc.

I saw earlier tonight in 3D. For a 3D film, it was pretty good. The only other one I actually watched was Journey to the Centre of the Earth (which was horrible, seeing how I slept through the whole movie and I rarely ever sleep through movies).

In all honestly, I was expecting this movie to be very good, seeing how Pixar has seem to put out great movies over the past few years. But, it really wasn't as great as the other Pixar movies, but I wasn't bad. Achilles pretty much summed it up for me, though.

The talking collars on the dogs really bugged me. I don't know why, but it just did.

It wasn't horrible (i.e. Ice Age 2, etc), but it wasn't great either. I expect better than "good" and/or "nice" from Pixar.

Goddamn :mad: I guess I'll wait until it leaves theaters to watch it then.

I was really hoping it would receive a good AchillesReview™ - I was anticipating a really good movie since it's Pixar. Maybe I'll wait until it comes into the local theater at a reduced cost next month.

_EW_

I absolutely loved this movie, as did the rest of my family. True, I'm a bit of a Pixar junkie, but I don't really let that cloud my judgment of their films. I was almost waiting to be disappointed, but I never was.

Most of the other reviews I've heard have been pretty positive (from friends especially, I don't really listen to critics). It sucks that you guys didn't like it as much as the other Pixar films, but I guess you can't always please everyone. I can kinda see how this could be a movie that's not everybody's cup o' tea, but it was definitely the kind of movie I love to watch. I personally rank this right up there with the rest of their films. I do however, have to say that I have watched Ice Age 2, and while I did like that movie, I think this one was much better. Ah well, I hope yall find better luck with it next year.

Also, I actually kind of liked the talking dogs (Doug, at least, was great). It was kind of an interesting spin on it. They were still just dogs, and they acted like it, and I liked that. I will say, however, that the high pitch/low pitch dog was pretty overplayed.

Was there anything bad in it that stood out?
Took the kids to see it Friday night and then my son wanted to see it in 3D so I took him again yesterday.

Couple more things to consider:

If Carl is 78 and was ~10 when Muntz left for S. America, how old is Muntz when Carl bumps into him in Paradise Falls? 88? 98? 108? Even older?

How in the heck do the dogs (all of which must be offspring of Muntz's original pack and therefore have lived the entirety of their lives in Paradise Falls) know about mail men?

I'm willing to suspend disbelief for some things but I don't think there's any way of avoiding the fact that this movie had plot holes.

Quasi-off topic: I don't like that they used a stylized Pizza Planet truck this time and for some strange reason, it also irks me that they showed it twice (once in the beginning and once at the end).

Lastly: the 3D version of the movie has a 3D trailer for Toy Story 3. The 2D version of the movie has a trailer for The Princess and the Frog.

Quasi-off topic: I don't like that they used a stylized Pizza Planet truck this time and for some strange reason, it also irks me that they showed it twice (once in the beginning and once at the end).

Can't comment on much of that having not yet seen the film, but I will say that Pixar does stuff like that all the time. They re-use models several times as a way of paying tribute to the older films. Occasionally they don't fit, but I don't mind because I like the nostalgia.

Can't comment on much of that having not yet seen the film, but I will say that Pixar does stuff like that all the time. They re-use models several times as a way of paying tribute to the older films. Occasionally they don't fit, but I don't mind because I like the nostalgia.
I'm well aware of the easter eggs (the Pizza Planet truck is in every movie. Other easter eggs vary). Usually it's not stylized in any way though.

And this is the first time it's ever been featured twice (to the best of my knowledge) in the same film.

Apparently my reputation as an uber-Pixar fanboy does not proceed me in the Swamp. :(

Finally saw it today, non-3D, mainly because all the theaters in the area are too ass-backward to upgrade their tech to the "Disney Digital Standard™".

To be honest, I thought it was great. As far as plot holes go, I could really care less; I was spending too much time enjoying the whimsical nature throughout the entire the film. I admit, it's not as good as Wall-E or Ratatouille, but it's hell of a lot better than Cars, and for it being a nice whimsical romp, it's good enough.

I admit, it's not as good as Wall-E or Ratatouille
John Lasseter says that for every laugh there should also be a tear. I didn't have very many laugh out loud moments in this one and while there were some sad moments in the exposition, I didn't get that customary "pixar lump" in my throat either :(

and for it being a nice whimsical romp, it's good enough.
Meh. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pixar releases one film a year. Each of those films spends between 3-4 years in development. I guess I'm a victim of my own expectations because I think that kind of development cycle should be able to deliver something better than "whimsical romps".

FWIW though one "disappointment" out of 10 films (sorry, even though Cars isn't at the top of my list, I still thought it was pretty good :)) isn't bad.

I absolutely loved it. While there were some "plot holes", my disbelief was suspended enough (because of the floating house) that it didn't even hit me until after I walked out of the theater.

Also, that is the only movie I've seen in 3D that has worked.

I saw it over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Not to the caliber of Wall*E, but still was very good IMO. It may have help that my expectations were rather low due to this thread and the idea of a flying house, but I did enjoy the film.

I don't see CG animated films in movies any more. Biggest reason, is that the theaters are full of kids who can't sit still/shut up. And it ruins the experience for me every time. While I will not deny the greatness that is Toy Story, I have to confess that I am a little worn out and tired of CG animated movies. There may be a great deal to respect about CG animation, but let's face the horrible ugly truth boys and girls. They crank one of these damn things out every 90 days or so. Most of them have the same jokes and gags, they just change the faces around, switch out the backdrop, and add new actors to the animated characters. Gone now are the epic movies like Beauty And The Beast, Pinocchio, and Aladdin. Lots of friends say I should watch Wall-E for it's hidden messages. I will get around too it, but it's not big on my list of things to do.

How many Pixar movies have you seen since Toy Story? The majority of CG animated films are pretty crappy, but Pixar is on a higher standard of quality. Pixar has had a continuous streak of excellent films since Toy Story (with some better than others depending on your tastes), and despite what's been said in this thread, I don't think they've broken the streak yet. To say that Pixar just cranks out films with reused material is a misstatement.

And I don't think you should watch Wall-E for it's messages, I think you should watch it because it's an amazing film.

Pixar is of much more higher caliber than any other CGI that's been cranked out by Dreamworks and Disney. Their films have an actual message and soul to them, rather than dreck like Kung-Fu Panda has completely mindless humor.

The reason why both kids and adults appreciate Pixar is that fact that all of the humor and emotion is universal and in good taste, without having to sell-out to over-the-top slapstick, pop-culture references galore, and obnoxious as hell characters. Pixar knows how to mold CGI around the story, rather than simply making CGI, and then smuggling-in a half-assed story. It's this appeal to all generations by using easily identifiable themes and emotions within characters that gets people coming back for more.

I don't see CG animated films in movies any more. Biggest reason, is that the theaters are full of kids who can't sit still/shut up. And it ruins the experience for me every time.
Don't know how your local theater operates, but I can usually catch a 12:01 Thursday showing or at least a "later" showing after the initial release. I realize not everyone likes the idea of going to the movies at 10pm, but...

quasi off topic: has the dearth of punk kids (aka "young adults") that can't keep themselves from texting, phoning, hollering, etc during Michael Bay-ish movies kept you from them as well?

While I will not deny the greatness that is Toy Story, I have to confess that I am a little worn out and tired of CG animated movies. There may be a great deal to respect about CG animation, but let's face the horrible ugly truth boys and girls. They crank one of these damn things out every 90 days or so.
I think you're confusing Pixar with Dreamworks Animation, Sony Animation, etc. Pixar releases one movie a year. That's it. They've been known to skip years too.

Most of them have the same jokes and gags, they just change the faces around, switch out the backdrop, and add new actors to the animated characters.
See above. I think you may be generalizing.

Gone now are the epic movies like Beauty And The Beast, Pinocchio, and Aladdin.
Interesting that you say that after admitting that you don't watch them. :confused:

Gone now are the epic movies like Beauty And The Beast, Pinocchio, and Aladdin. Lots of friends say I should watch Wall-E for it's hidden messages. I will get around too it, but it's not big on my list of things to do.

Groovy, I went to see The Incredibles with my kids more times in a week than I did the most recent Star Trek movie, and I loved the ST movie. I laughed so hard at Edna, commentary on insurance bureaucracy (done in a very fun way), the spoofing of bad superhero shows and the James Bond gadgets, and the little adult details that were all over the place. If you loved Aladdin, you'll love The Incredibles and Wall-E. If you watch these shows at a more adult time in the theater, you're going to get a different experience than if you go at the prime-kid time, too, and I think you'll enjoy it. Do Not Pass Go, get these and watch them ASAP. They are top-notch.

Archived