Home

A new Mechwarrior Game?

acdcfanbill

A trailer for a new Mechwarrior game dropped a bit ago and and IGN has done a rewind on it and made some interesting observations, though I think they were wrong about the end of the 3rd succession war, it's still a little ways off.

Anyway, there's a lot of hate around for Mechwarrior 4, but I still liked it. I can only hope this one isn't totally screwed up. The graphics, models and everything looks pretty decent, though there seems to be a lot of dust :) One sad thing about the 3015 setting is no omnimechs, but I guess I can live without that. I'm just happy there is the possibility of a new non-crappy (aka mechassault) battletech game in the works.

MechWarrior 4 is all I know, and I ****ing loved it. I can't wait for this to come out. As for that MechAssault bull****, I don't think they'll be going for that route again. Heat conservation, slow but intense and thought-out battles, weapon load-out customization, armor layering, torso twisting goodness.

Give me a PPC cannon with some LRMs and I can roll any time.

Pro-tip: Aim for the legs. :V

Looks cool. I remember playing MechAssault (only mech game I've played besides that sega mech fighting game) on the xbox and enjoying it...

A next gen MechWarrior game should be good. Destructable environments, great graphics, and biig robots sounds like a recipe for success.

Mechwarrior 4 came out in 2000, but the graphics won't make your eyes bleed. In my opinion it's one of those rare games that still looks just fine (in a way, like OoT and DF2:JK) even after years of its graphics falling behind.

So I'll definitely grab a copy when it comes out for free. The problem is is that I used to play it with a 4-button joystick with a throttle, so I'll try getting it to work with my 360 controller or try it on the keyboard. Also, it'd be great if I could get it to run on my netbook, that'd be awesome.

Looks cool. I remember playing MechAssault (only mech game I've played besides that sega mech fighting game) on the xbox and enjoying it...

A next gen MechWarrior game should be good. Destructable environments, great graphics, and biig robots sounds like a recipe for success.

MechAssault is to MechWarrior as Medal of Honor is to Brothers in Arms. Arcade vs faux-sim. So I'm not sure how much you'd like it. But just know that as a MechWarrior fan at the age of 13 I was really disappointed when I played MechAssault. : P

I remember playing the MechWarrior 4 demo, pretty badass stuff, if I may say so.

I'm pretty interested in this new MechWarrior shindig, but what I don't get is the graphics style. Why are all the game developers jacking off over the dark-brown-but-shiny-with-bloom graphics?

mechwarrior-project-20090708042630559_640w.jpg

mechwarrior-project-20090708042703636_640w.jpg

mechwarrior-project-20090708042721323_640w.jpg

mechwarrior-project-20090708042717604_640w.jpg

Sure it is just one level, but still, we've seen that shade in Terminator Salvation already, can we get rid of Dystopia Brown already?

@TiE: Agreed with Dark Forces II. More so than the graphics itself, I think I'll commend the game's fluidity and speed. Kyle ran like a madman in the game, you seriously felt like you were controlling a Jedi, who is essentially a crazy-fast dude with a lightsaber. If LA decides to make a Jedi game again, they should have that crazy speed on by default.

mechwarrior-project-20090708042630559_640w.jpg
Why does that mech resemble Jet Jaguar?

jet_jaguar_2.jpg

Sure it is just one level, but still, we've seen that shade in Terminator Salvation already, can we get rid of Dystopia Brown already?
They're trying to appeal to Gears of War fanboys, obviously. You know that innovation has hit rock bottom when they willing use a limited color palette, especially when developers were trying to achieve the exact opposite years ago.

MechWarrior 5: Now with vibrant 256 color VGA graphics!

As too the palette, I think they were just trying to show off their city combat which has always been a little lackluster in previous titles imho. The games have always had wide palettes and wide locations ranges, from jungle/swamps to alpine highlands to deserts to forested coast lands and of course, urban warfare. Water/snow/cold were always a boon to mechs with primarily energy weapons while hot/desert conditions faviored more ammunition driven load outs. If I recall, Mech4: Vengeance even had some missions on a moon. Although I suppose with the lack of omnimechs, loadouts won't be necessary. :)

God, this brings back memories. I used to play the original back when I was in high school. It came on 2 floppy disks and and had good graphics for the time.

I'd certainly be interested in a modern version with all of the bells and whistles of a modern game.

Why are all the game developers jacking off over the dark-brown-but-shiny-with-bloom graphics?

It's probably something to do with Unreal Engine 3. Everyone's using it and it seems like something about that engine is hard-coded to make every game look the same.

Tsk. All the cool kids played Mech on PC.

All the cooler kids did both.

Well, in Mech 4 most of the levels happened in the mountains and forests. So don't expect every level to be a war-torn city.

All the cooler kids did both.

No, that just means you're a whore.

Oh wait, you're talking about MechWarrior? Whoops. Never mind.

YES! ...aw man, gotta change my underwear now. Bah, this announcement was *hella* worth it.

How about a real game?

3050.jpg

Aw HELL yeeea! +50 awesome points!

Awesomeness.

I hadn't played anything in a long while of the MW series. Not since I was forced to sell my copy of MW2:31st century combt for rent money. :( Least the dude who bought it from me knew the value of such a game and paid that much. I made a 100% profit, although it was originally for only bargain bin pricing, $15. But that $30 a few years ago saved my ass for another month.

Never played a Mechwarrior game, so I'll definately check it out.

Oh, you'll love it.

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat.

'Nuff said.

I miss that game. :(

I had Mechwarrior 3 back in the day. I never really played any of the other games, but I was a big fan of the 3rd one. Definitely looking forward to this.

I was actually just thinking about whether they had ever done another Mechwarrior sequel just the other day . . .

Archived