Home

Barack Obama accused of snubbing Dalai Lama to placate China

jonathan7

TBH I'm not sure what all is going through people's heads on all sides.

How much does china actually have/own of US debt? Not sure if it is some kind of favoritism or cow-towing, but whatever.

However, such a in-your face thing as this discourteous ignoring the Dalai-Lama...this does not bode well. Questions were risen in the article about our president's priorities concerning human rights and religious freedom.

I, unlike other conservatives, won't fly off and accuse him of ignoring it on purpose. However, I will bring up that he had all of about 150 days in the senate of prior experience so I don't think it a stretch to call this lack of savvy or experience. Management problems as it were. So I call it ineptitude and perhaps an unwillingness to push back a little bit. Though the latter of that may just be my opinion. ;)

I would hope for future reference that we don't have any more mishaps like this one.

I think that given the importance for the US' to have a nice relationsip with China, and given how important it is for China that Obama doesen't meet the Dalai Lama compared to the importance for the US' that he meets him, I think the decision was a right one when you consider what is in the US' best interest. Still doesen't like it, as I think it'll make it easier for other countries/heads of state to not allow him entry/meet him (but even Obama didn't meet him, why should I?).

I think that given the importance for the US' to have a nice relationsip with China' date=' and given how important it is for China that Obama doesen't meet the Dalai Lama compared to the importance for the US' that he meets him, I think the decision was a right one when you consider what is in the US' best interest. [/quote'] Sorta what I said, though I wouldn't necessarily say it is so much a case of "best interests" as it is obligation and beholdenness to China and our subsequent damage control over our own situation as well as whatever is handed down.

Still doesen't like it, as I think it'll make it easier for other countries/heads of state to not allow him entry/meet him <snip>.

That's why I don't like it as well, because of the potential for closing doors. I mean that if what we are supposedly supposed to be ding is repairing outr image--potential revealing of positions on other alluded-to issues notwithstanding.

*paste* (but even Obama didn't meet him, why should I?)

Assuming you are in a similar position but don't have the same or similar obligations at the time, then why shouldn't you (unless you hold some kind of personal bias)?

Tibet’s spiritual leader arrived in Washington yesterday on his first visit since Mr Obama’s inauguration. For the first time since 1991 he will not be received at the White House. The Dalai Lama will eventually meet Mr Obama, but not until the US President returns from the Beijing meeting

WTF?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!??!?!

If he's there, then you meet him. Simple. As. That.

Maybe he is a little overblown, but even then he is arguably the one person in the world that is almost universally respected.

that human rights alone cannot be allowed to determine the US-Chinese relationship.

Huh? Am I the only one here that thinks Human Rights have a precedence over economics? Maybe it's okay to lock people up for no reason to the White House -prolly since the Chinese practically own us- but still, that's nuts!

I knew I didn't like Hillary for a reason.

Maybe the President had other guests or things on his plate at the same time? It's not like there aren't other important activities or meetings with other people that he can just cancel at the drop of a hat to meet with someone who just 'expects to be seen'. I don't think we have the entire story, of course. The article also mentions that Obama would be happy to meet with him after the China conference, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

So, according to the article, this is done just for political gain? Can't say I'm surprised, knowing politicians in general. The world is a very sad place. I'm half-Chinese myself, and I certainly wouldn't do something like Obama has been accused of doing.

damn obama snubbing the dalai lama to meet with the chinese, they could have solved the entire problem that afternoon but nooooo he had to meet with leaders of the country that takes up most of asia to discuss trade and diplomatic relations with north korea and perhaps even the situation in tibet.

(i don't give a **** even if he did snub the dalai lama because nothing would have come out of them meeting but a photo op)

Well, after what happened w/the Czechs and Poles, I'd say that there is an extremly strong case to be made for saying he "bowed to pressure" from China. The Russians have been quite clear that they don't like us "meddling" in what they consider their sphere of influence. Given that the Czechs, Poles and the DL pale in percieved importance to hoped for cooperation from Russia and the PRC on a host of global issues, it's not remotely unreasonable to conclude that this administration is approaching the issue from what it sees as a pragmatic position. I'd say HC's statement is a big clue about their thinking on this.

Considering the efforts are being made to relax China, it seems it would better suit the purpose of the Dalai Lama to be delayed in meeting, and as a wise Buddhist I know he knows this. You cannot attain peace by forcing it down the throats of your enemy, after all.

This is just another case of pandering to anti-Obama. Not that I don't find this situation disheartening, but it's more along the lines of my annoyance with China turning it's back on it's own culture.

Considering the efforts are being made to relax China, it seems it would better suit the purpose of the Dalai Lama to be delayed in meeting, and as a wise Buddhist I know he knows this. You cannot attain peace by forcing it down the throats of your enemy, after all.

They couldn't even if they wanted to. The only way peace will happen in this situation is if China wants it to.

When the Dali Lama starts running one of our biggest economic trading partners, political, military, and nuclear rivals, then any time he shows up he'll be greeted with open arms, until then, he can wait in line. The Dali Lama's a great guy and whatnot, but really, he thinks he's far more important than he really is. Yeah, it sucks that he was like, right in town at the time, but given the option between snubbing the Dali Lama or China, I'd snub the Dali Lama. Bart there is right, it woulda been a nice photo op, and that's it. This whole deal is nothing more than the anti-Obama-ists trying to find one more way to knock the guy down.

Frankly, I don't find there to be much ground for the charge of "snubbing" in the first place. While I believe this administration is something of a joke, I think that the symbiotic relationship I referenced above puts the PRC in the catbird seat. $$ talks, BS walks. Given the fact that the PRC would treat meeting the DL first as an insult of sorts and that we now need their cooperation (not that I believe they'll be very forthcoming in the end anyway) more than a photo-op, it puts the "human rights" crowd's concerns in an inferior position.

*anti-obamaism sounds like the left's answer to palin-derangement syndrome. :devsmoke:

The Dali Lama's a great guy and whatnot, but really, he thinks he's far more important than he really is.

You realize this post makes absolutely no sense, right?

He can't exactly be the Dalai Lama if he puts himself above others, that kind of defeats the purpose.

As for your other points, no **** we kinda went over that already.

It was a UK Times Online article, not a right-wing blog that hosted this article. Given the Times' leftist leanings, I doubt they're 'anti-Obama-ists'.

People in the UK have just as much potential for anti-Obama sentiment, many of them have expressed it as well. Remember how a lot of people in the US were very anti-Chavez?

The internet makes for great potential to dislike political powers in many countries around the world, and allow for greater reach in expressing your dislike of a politician.

You realize this post makes absolutely no sense, right?

He can't exactly be the Dalai Lama if he puts himself above others, that kind of defeats the purpose.

What defeats the purpose of his existence doesn't matter to me. The fact is, he and whoever parades him around play it up, and if it wasn't for a lot of bleeding hearts, nobody would care at all.

As for your other points, no **** we kinda went over that already.

Thank you mr freaking wizard. I wasn't making a point, I was just chucking out my opinion the same way EVERYONE ELSE WAS.

What defeats the purpose of his existence doesn't matter to me. The fact is, he and whoever parades him around play it up, and if it wasn't for a lot of bleeding hearts, nobody would care at all.

I don't really seem to recall the Dalai Lama making a big deal out of this. Mostly just the press and a couple idiots on the internet. So seems you have your facts wrong.

Archived