Home

Catherine (X360/PS3)

Ctrl Alt Del

It's public knowledge that people here seldomly care for japanese games. Add that to the fact that this game certainly has some content that is way out of the PG13 tier and you'll understand my hesitation before deciding to post this. At any rate, it's Atlus (Shin Megami Tensei series, Persona series) we're talking about here, one of the few game companies worth following nowadays; plus it seems that this game has something of fresh we're so desperate for.

In the latest issue of the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, the well-known publisher/developer Atlus has revealed Catherine, a new and extremely adult-centric action adventure game for the PS3 and Xbox 360. With key members of the Persona team working on Catherine, the game could be more than a trippy adventure filled with some anime t&a.

Catherine doesn’t have the typical plot one would expect from an Atlus game let alone a Japanese action adventure title. Gamers follow Vincent, a 32 year-old man who’s at a stage in his life in which he doesn’t know what he wants from love. But this changes when Vincent meets Catherine, a buxom 22 year-old lady. Despite meeting Catherine and her being his type, Vincent ends up having nightmares, which surprisingly is where the core of the gameplay takes place.

Vincent’s dream world is indeed an odd one based on the Famitsu screens. With a world that consists of never-ending staircases, bi-pedal goats and pure traumatic events (Vincent walking around in just his boxers), it looks like we’re going to get an experience that hasn’t yet been shown before in games.

If it wasn’t obvious by now, Catherine is a game that’s being made directly with a mature audience in mind. And by mature I don’t mean for the type that likes dudebro games and tons of blood. With a focus on nightmares, relationships, a healthy amount of anime cleavage and an underlying mystery, Catherine kind of seems like a mix of a David Cronenberg movie and a Suda 51 game.

Catherine is currently set for a winter release in Japan for the PS3 and Xbox 360. A North American/European release wasn’t discussed but is likely to happen as Atlus’ previous games have been released outside of Japan.

http://www.shogungamer.com/news/atlus-announces-catherine-trippy-new-adventure-game

Trailer: (This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

And this site here should contain translations of some images: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/19/first_look_catherine/

• 4 weeks later...

New trailer, may be a bit close to NSFW territory, but you should be ok XD

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Having seen both trailers now I can say 2 things. 1.) I have no ****ing idea what is going on and 2.) I want this game...

Nobody does weird quite like the Japanese.

Btw, the sub for the last scene (しかし,このポーズ) should translate to something like "But, this pose". Presumably something doesn't quite gel in the picture he received.

EDIT: Someone put an English subbed version up over at GameTrailers - http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/catherine-tgs-trailer-subbed/349876?playlist=featured

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's an Adventure game, or so the devs claim. It seems like a collection of minigames of sorts. There's also a texting gameplay, as seen here:(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

As much as it looks bizarre, I have an almost unhealthy trust in those guys. I know some peeps who are kinda disappointed at the shown gameplay but I remain faithful. Persona always looked bizarre too and look at what they did. 'Sides, who knows, if this block-hiking thing is really the core gameplay (which it probably is once you look at the achievements list - highly "spoilerful" or so I'm told), it might be fun.

Finally, a remarkable quote from Destructoid on these leaked achievements:

The ones I can tell you about, though, are the bits that reveal more about how this action-puzzler will play. Achievements for using special "Jump Stones" and triggering chain explosions also abound, including helping other characters with their problems. Methinks Vincent might not be exploring just his own nightmares.

Other, quirkier achievements include outlasting all other patrons at the Stray Sheep bar, answering texts, and listening to information about the many drink mixes available at the bar. Incidentally, getting plastered at the bar does in fact make Vincent more agile in the nightmare world.

I can't wait for some folks to freak out about Catherine supposedly promoting alcoholism. Then again, given what happens to men who cheat on their girlfriends in the game, you could also say it promotes monogamy.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/catherine-s-leaked-achievements-are-utterly-spoileriffic-188702.phtml

In other news tonight, there are rumors of a Demo coming for the XBL. Let's expect it for before the scheduled japanese release date, but I ain't holding my breath.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived