Home

Return of the Commodore 64

Has anyone seen this? They are introducing a new version of the Commodore 64 with new guts but the same old shell. Hilarious. I'm showing my age, but I had one of these. I had this game...Raid Over Moscow...pretty cool game for a young midwesterner caught up in the hype of the Cold War.

What's next the VIC 20?

im no tech wiz. but what would those specs play? are we talking really low quality, older games. or are we talking CoD, Mass Effect 2 etc..

well, I'd hold off buying that Crysis game hehe.. but the specs have been revved up for today's standards.. for a small form factor that is.

Clicking the "technology" descriptor sums up some of the stats and I was a little surprised for what the tiny beast offered. Blu-Ray, up to 4gb ram, CUDA, SATA raid, WiFi and 1080p capable. Pretty impressive for what it is.

I want one just to screw around with. Nostalgia for nostalgia's sake :lol:

Note: Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available. In the meantime, units come with the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on CD ready to install.

Yeah I remember something today about this on Yahoo news.

Funny that, I actually had one of those commodore hi-res ultra sharp CRT monitors floating about in my warehouse of stuff. Had to get rid of it last summer, so whoever inherited it at no-e-waste, got a working crisp perfect condition piece of computing history.

Yes, I still have a CRT for a TV.

*braces for bombardment of ridicule for not "getting" with the 21st century*

Yeah, as nice a nostalgia trip as this is, I'm happy with my current computer setup of powerful desktop for games and stuff at home, light netbook for when I need something portable, and my low-end even 7 years ago, blast furnace heat producing laptop for when I start finding my other PCs' load times or behavior annoying and need some perspective. I'm not really sure where the Commodoremake would fit in.

Yeah I remember something today about this on Yahoo news.

Funny that, I actually had one of those commodore hi-res ultra sharp CRT monitors floating about in my warehouse of stuff. Had to get rid of it last summer, so whoever inherited it at no-e-waste, got a working crisp perfect condition piece of computing history.

Yes, I still have a CRT for a TV.

*braces for bombardment of ridicule for not "getting" with the 21st century*

My house has so much variation in technology levels it's absurd. On one hand, you've got the gaming pc, the massive plasma tv, stuff like that. On the other, you've got the record player, the VHS player, and the various old PCs and CRT TVs, some used, some hidden away in the basement. The largest CRT TV actually gets used a lot, since it's in the same room as the dining table.

Oh wait, my VHS player died last week. Damn. I'm still going to stick with my DVD player and Tivo until Blu-Ray players are cheap, or I can score one from some guy who's really desperate to sell it within a day, like I did with my 360. (He was so desperate to sell that I got him to drop the price down to $70 with a controller and 3 games; I guess he had some debts he needed to pay or something. Either that or I bought a stolen Xbox.)

I had this game...Raid Over Moscow...pretty cool game for a young midwesterner caught up in the hype of the Cold War.
Raid Over Moscow was awesome. I seem to remember struggling at first trying to get my damn plane out of the space station hanger. And what was up with the Tron-like disk throwing? Go C64!

My house has so much variation in technology levels it's absurd. On one hand, you've got the gaming pc, the massive plasma tv, stuff like that.

Just see no reason to get all the ultra high end stuff. Personally.

My pad is a workshop and storage department. :p

I have all kinds of junk I play with. I love playing with my junk. :dev9:

And I have built a secret hideout full of munitions. Gotta be ready for the zombie apocalypse. :ninja2:

People ask why I don' have HDTV or plasma or LED tvs and blu ray and all that jazz. I have internet and I am happy enough with my T5274 emachines desktop. Though I am wanting other machines at this point to dedicate to other things. And my freshly acquired atari 2600 next to my older gen PS2. :D

On the other, you've got the record player, the VHS player, and the various old PCs and CRT TVs, some used, some hidden away in the basement. The largest CRT TV actually gets used a lot, since it's in the same room as the dining table.

Similar sitch at my parents' place. Most my gaming consoles are there.

Mine...heheh... Somne CRTs. One for regular use, 2 portable mini CRT and a handheld casio lcd TV. GoVideo dvd VHS dual player. Gameboy color. A few NES consoles.

Oh wait, my VHS player died last week. Damn.

Why not read up and fix it? Drop me a line and maybe I can help.

I'm still going to stick with my DVD player and Tivo until Blu-Ray players are cheap, or I can score one from some guy who's really desperate to sell it within a day, like I did with my 360. (He was so desperate to sell that I got him to drop the price down to $70 with a controller and 3 games; I guess he had some debts he needed to pay or something. Either that or I bought a stolen Xbox.)

Don' care about blu ray right now. Never got into tivo or that.

I got a couple 360s for free with the same RROD problems. Instructables has a more permanent fixit for these without the use of towels or their pointless, money-sucking, P.O.S. warranty repair programscam.

BTW make sure your new 360 console isn't XBL banned. Far as hot goods...ehh, your call.

Well, I just got a new avatar...

Why you do that? I was enjoying making Dave Chapelle references.

Why not read up and fix it? Drop me a line and maybe I can help.

Well, normally, I'd try that, but it broke in a way that I doubt will be fixable. I have no clue what could have caused it, but it semi-exploded. Opening up the casing, a lot of the parts were in smaller pieces than they should've been. Even before that, it would occasionally destroy a tape for no good reason. Next time I visit my family, I'm going to take an old one they don't use that's sitting in their basement. However, that website is awesome and I'm sure it will be useful in the future.

I got a couple 360s for free with the same RROD problems. Instructables has a more permanent fixit for these without the use of towels or their pointless, money-sucking, P.O.S. warranty repair programscam.

BTW make sure your new 360 console isn't XBL banned. Far as hot goods...ehh, your call.

This one seems to be RROD-free so far, even after playing a decent amount on it. I don't think it's XBL banned, but I refuse to pay for multiplayer, so that doesn't matter much. I don't really think it's stolen, the guy I bought it from seemed pretty legit, just really wanted to raise funds soon. Also, I picked it up from his house, which wasn't in a bad neighborhood, and allowed me to test it out there (someone trying to unload junk or stolen stuff on me probably wouldn't want to do it at their home).

And to stay on topic: Does anyone else think that 4 GB of DDR3 is a bit wasted in a computer with an only 1.8 GHz netbook processor?

Also, I've decided that I don't want a new computer in a Cray X-MP casing. I want an actual Cray X-MP. Or any supercomputer that can double as a modular chair/bench system.

Archived