Home

The XWA.net One-Year Thread VIII: Heir to the Forum

Wildstar

Realistically, the Tea Party, backed by the Koch Brothers and other very very wealthy American's aiming to continue to keep the status quo of Washington has failed. Miserably. The extreme rhetoric of the Tea Party Republicans have essentially backed them into the corner. If they sit down and negotiate and let the Affordable Care Act continue, and it is a success, they will be voted out off office by their jury rigged constituency. Their only option is to, essentially, hold the government hostage.

Due to the need for the debt ceiling to be raised by Congress, it is critical legislation. If it is not passed, the government, and the Affordable Care Act, slowly bankrupts itself as it will default on it's loans. By holding the debt ceiling legislation up, the Tea Party Republicans have Obama by the nutsack.

HOWEVER, Obama is not an idiot. He, and his White House staff, are FINALLY playing somewhat dirty with the Tea Party Republicans. Does it look childish? **** yeah, but this case you have to fight the fire with a bigger fire.

Obama is essentially painting the Tea Party Republican's as obstructionist, and has come out stating, "Acknowledging this tactic would set a precedent for hostage level politics. They can come to the White House to negotiate, or the government shuts down." This put everything BACK onto the Republicans. Which let the government shutdown.

Note, the Republicans were hoping that the government shutdown would ruin Obama with the polls and public opinion. What they did not count on is the day the Affordable Care Act went live for signups.... the American Public DDoS'd the website. It is one of the MOST POPULAR government programs launched since Social Security and Medicaid. Add in the loss of parks, revocation of veteran's benefits, the Republican's look like a bunch of retards.

So, yeah, this sucks. Big time. But most of it comes from, if you look at the recent history, the upholding of Citizen's United in the Supreme Court, which let corporations and the wealthy have no limits on campaign donations. You though Washington was Buy a Politician before? Well look at it since. It's worse. Far worse. And it's come to this.

God I hate being a Republican right now. >.<

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, the First Amendment of the Constitution does NOT cover mandated services from the Federal Government, or else Social Security ID numbers would have been made illegal many many years ago, along with the Social Security Program that EVERY CITIZEN FROM BIRTH is apart of.

The First Amendment only covers right to express ones self with impunity via press and speech, within limits of public safety. Like, you can't scream "FIRE" in a public building and NOT expect to be arrested for disturbing the peace.

1st amendment right violation:

forcing people to have health insurance, by imposing a fine without having it.

You might believe that, but your wrong. The supreme court supported the constitutionality of the Affordable care act

The government is not providing the health insurance, it is still being provided by private insurance companies

Thus your argument that the Government is violation the first amendment is invalid.

And please tell me what federal law has been passed since 2009 that has restricted the 2nd amendment? Oh wait, there was none. Even with the Sandy Hook shootings nothing was done on the federal level

Sorry to say, but the average person is not the deciding factor on whether a law is constitutional or not. it is the US supreme court does that. Just because you THINK, have a gut feeling, or something goes contrary to you interpretation of the laws, does not invalidate the law.

meh whatever. :joy:

im still getting my veterans benefits, so **** all.

i obviously don't know a damn thing about what's going on in d.c., or politics or anything. :confused: i just don't watch the news anymore because it's full of fear inspiring lies. maybe i gave into some of them *shrug*.

anyways. going to virginia after my buddy gets outta work today. should be fun. gotta pack after class today...love road trips, might stop at d.c. on the way back and check out the closed down stuff. see it for myself. that would be cool i guess. i'll take pics.

Realistically, the Tea Party, backed by the Koch Brothers and other very very wealthy American's aiming to continue to keep the status quo of Washington has failed. Miserably.

How has the Tea Party been aiming to maintain the status quo? The Tea Party is arguing for fiscal responsibility, which is the exact opposite of the status quo. Both the Democrats and Republicans have spent well above our means when they have been in power in recent years.

getting ready for my trip to VA. looks like that chick ive been texting, or rather appears she is living with her ex boyfriend...turned me down to go to philly, maybe i'm assuming but i asked what brought her to PA and she said 'a guy' and proceeded to say it didnt work out romantically so i'm assuming that's her roommate, and her roommates bday is next week, thinking of just dropping her, not sure if she's worth my time...doesn't like hunting or fishing, which is a big part of PA for me, meh i'm one picky ****er....but if we go on a date, it'll be fun either way i prolly won't pursue it if i get turned down again, however she does seem like a nice girl..so we'll see. if i get turned down again by her, i'm gonna move on to the next one. my goal is at least 1 date a month, and so far since i been back it has been that way. i dated my ex for about a week, got 1 date last month, and should have a date this month. my confidence increases with each date. lol

think next week i'll put more hours in at the gym. this week was lacking!!!

How has the Tea Party been aiming to maintain the status quo? The Tea Party is arguing for fiscal responsibility, which is the exact opposite of the status quo. Both the Democrats and Republicans have spent well above our means when they have been in power in recent years.

The Current "Tea Party" has no plan. They want less taxes and less spending, but cannot agree on what to cut. it is all stump speeches and talking points without any real plan. heck, even the Paul Ryan budget put the savings from the affordable care act into it.

THe only thing they could agree on was to push a dead budget that defunded the Affordable Care act

The Current "Tea Party" has no plan. They want less taxes and less spending, but cannot agree on what to cut. it is all stump speeches and talking points without any real plan. heck, even the Paul Ryan budget put the savings from the affordable care act into it.

Agreement is always difficult, but individuals certainly do have plans. But in any case, this is certainly not "maintaining the status quo." Taxing and spending less would be unprecedented for either Republicans or Democrats.

THe only thing they could agree on was to push a dead budget that defunded the Affordable Care act

Since that's what a lot of them were specifically elected for in the first place, I'd say they did at least the minimum of what they were supposed to do. There is too much division in the Republican party to accomplish much of anything. But the Tea Partiers are at least offering an alternative, fiscally conservative approach, if only in principle. I'm not sure what the rest of the Republicans are doing...trying to maintain the status quo, it looks like. I don't see how they will ever win another presidential election if they keep putting people like John McCain and Mitt Romney up there. What do they have to offer that we haven't seen (and experienced the failure of) a dozen times before?

Since that's what a lot of them were specifically elected for in the first place, I'd say they did at least the minimum of what they were supposed to do.
The biggest obstacle to that agenda:

1.) This is Obama's signature legislation that he managed to get though, and will, for better or worse, be the primary legacy of his Presidency. All Presidents think about the legacy they are leaving in the 2nd term... pretty much above everything else.

And:

2.) He's not up for re-election. Since he can't run again, he can be as obstructionist as he wishes to whatever the opposition brings to the table. It might hurt his own party politically... but short of impeachment proceedings, there's very little anyone can do to him personally in the arena of politics that can damage his career from this point on. So what does he have to lose by holding out on this one? If the economy goes bust from a default, it's unlikely the way things have been framed and positioned that he will take the brunt of the blame, or the fallout at the next election cycle.

Always fun.

On the one hand, I never want to go through the act of moving ever again... on the other hand, I'd love to be in a bigger place.

Maybe someday... but until then I just have to reorganize this place better to make it a bit more livable.

Spent the day pulling my bedroom and office totally apart. Re-arranging furniture. Emptying drawers and sorting through the contents...

It was a lot of work, I'm totally exhausted... and I'm only about a quarter done. But it's already a pretty big difference.

I'll do some more tomorrow... but I want to get out and do something fun too...

visited my buddy in virginia over the last 3 days, that was a good time. It was a great thing to see that he is finally doing well for himself. :) On the way back today me and my main homie visited D.C. memorials that were "barrycaded" it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be/look. wish i could've made it to the million vet march, or met some of the designers of the tshirts i wear (rangerup and grunt style). got alot of nice pictures i'll post up on facebook later, took some pics of secret service people who got the job of being snipers on the white hours. But is it really necessary to shove it in the american peoples' faces? snipers aren't supposed to be seen...

Archived