Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work ended early, and I used the extra time to get a few things done, and talk a bit with a co-worker I don't work with often.

I still left much earlier that I normally do, and hit the train platform feeling pretty good about my use of unexpecected time.

I am a fool.

Fenway Park disgorged it's contents into the streets of Boston at the same moment I left work. The subway station I normally use is only one stop downstream from Kennmore. Almost 45 minutes of waiting for a train that wasn't bulging at the seams with baseball fans already.

My commute has been over a half hour longer than it normally is, and I'm not even a third of the way home yet.

I'm now wishing I chose to sleep on the floor of my office tonight.

:rolleyes:

gonna go workout this morning. got ethics class today, think i'll try and read a little of the book so i am not lost in the sauce. i REALLY ****ing hate this class.

i have a goal this summer, going to spend my time i'd be in classes down at the armory working on army online classes, earning promotion points. i could probably make E5 (Sergeant) by next year if I really devote myself to it. Unsure if that's what I want though...but having E4 and below call me Sergeant and standing at parade rest when speaking to me could be fun times, but i know being an NCO is alot of responsibility and i'm not sure i want that yet, i wanna get myself squared away first.

picked up more blu rays today...of course i wanted the ones i bought but there's a cute girl that works there, she's pretty friendly. meh lol

anyways, i got 300, Alexander, The Patriot, Conan the Barbarian, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Brave Heart, and another copy of Troy (it was included in a 300/Troy/Alexander 3 pack). I'm still looking for Beowulf, and any other movies based on mythological warriors and ancient wars. anybody have any good suggestions?

is the movie "The Eagle" any good? i wanted to see it at the theatre but nobody wanted to go with me.

Troy is about the coolest movie of that type ever. The Eagle is also very good, but it isn't as much of a spectacle as Troy is. If you're interested in Roman times and how things were in Britain, the Eagle is a must-see. Just wait till you get a look at the *seal people.*

My commute has been over a half hour longer than it normally is, and I'm not even a third of the way home yet.

I'm now wishing I chose to sleep on the floor of my office tonight.

:rolleyes:

Wow. :max: I am so glad I don't live in the big city. My small city in Orygun life seems better now.

Of course, I did have to run off three huge raccoons who were stealing cat food the other night. Huge. No fear of humans. I drove them off with large rocks.

Worked hard today, with a fourteen top (14 people) coming in at the tail end of lunch, right when I'm trying to clean up and go home. It's stuff like that that make cooks go crazy, or take drugs. Sometimes both. :dozey:

The irony of my looking for full time work elsewhere is that right now, I'm getting full time work. The only catch is, it takes one of our cooks being off for medical reasons, another taking vacation and a third quitting before we can get the hours. When their backs are up against the wall, though, the rat bastards will work us, because the food has to go out the window when the customers order it.

And that won't happen without a cook standing there. Obvious, but not to a bean-counter in his office somewhere...

I have wasted an incredible amount of time this week interviewing people who have managed to get degrees in computer science and yet cannot solve a problem you should be able to solve after like...one day of school. Some of these people even have masters degrees and PhDs. In fact, the more degrees they have, the more worthless they are at actually doing work. Surely these people had to take exams or something at some point. Right? I mean...how did they graduate? I don't understand. From now on, if you have even been to graduate school I am putting your resume directly into the circular file.

I find with some of the folks we hire the more education and experience they have, the bigger the hindrance to getting things done.

When people come in with a lot of pre-conceived notions about live concerts, we kinda have to beat that out of them if we can to get a decent employee out of it at the end.

Our job is a meat grinder. A lot of the stuff you learned somewhere else just doesn't apply here. Do it our way and no one gets hurt...

We've all spent the last 20+ years figuring out how to do over 2,000 live events in 5 halls a year, and just because you think the way you did it before was better, I can tell you now that at that rate of show turnover, there's really a very limited number of ways to show up and reinvent the wheel.

Trust us... We've already been over it before, tried it, and moved on to the way we are doing it now.

Yeah, we get some people who have their own ideas about the ways things should work and don't get with the program. But this is different. This is...people who got a degree in something, and maybe have worked in that field for a number of years, but know literally nothing about it. It would be like a guy who got a degree in live sound engineering (Does that exist? I don't know, but let's say it does.), but he doesn't know what faders are or what to do with them. I can't imagine how these people passed their first programming class, much less ALL of them. And this isn't just the occasional guy. This is the vast majority of people who apply for jobs.

For the restaurant industry, I know that the guys with culinary degrees but no work experience are absolutely the worst kind of cook to train. They keep insisting that things should be the way they were taught, and have to learn that a kitchen which makes money is not the nice and ordered fantasy they were sold at school. No one makes pasta from scratch (waste of time) and no one peels and seeds a tomato before dicing (no one even cares to.) They discover that their knife skills are insufficient. They might know the french word for every food item in the place, but they need to know the spanish.

So...you just graduated from culinary school? :max: Fabulous. Go try to impress the HR people in their clueless offices that you should be in charge around here. I'm only going to splash you with hot grease and lock you in the freezer.

(Just kidding about the last bit.) :dozey:

A little knowledge is a deadly thing. ;)

Took the day off from work. Slept late. Ate a giant omelet. Did the grocery shopping and stocked up on enough for the next month that I will be working more-or-less non-stop. (Though the eggs fell on the floor before I got them to the fridge, and every single one broke. Oops...) Took a somewhat chilly, brutal-wind-in-my-face walk along the beach. Napped when I got home.

I think I'll watch a movie and then go back to bed.

I'm also trying to stock up on rest for the coming work-a-palooza.

more movies were bought today. i got the eagle and the last samurai. didn't know the eagle starred channel tantrum in it. should be a good movie anyway. best movie he played in was red dawn, love that movie. and on the topic of that movie store, i decided to look on my receipt since the girl that works there is kind of cute...well this led me to google her name and i found her on linkd, kinda stopped dead there with pursuing that. i don't think i'd get along with her views on life. (huge obama sucker) think i'll just pursue this chick i found on the tinder app (she liked me first and i swiped her pic n she gave me her number), i hope it goes somewhere good, i just can't see myself being with someone whose views opposes gun/rifle/etc ownership and the wars we fight. i need someone that supports my views on life and society.

Rogue15, you need Sarah Connor. :dozey:

Heck, I'll settle for a woman who can calmly reload magazines for me under fire...

"upgrading" to windows 8.1 tonight. was thinking of saving the money and moving to Ubuntu. Thoughts anyone?

I am also in the XP bucket. Let us move all to Narnia, henceforth! :D

Windows 8.1 isn't bad. It's actually well optimized.

The tile screen is a giant pain in the ass, but the start menu is officially coming back full force in an update to Windows 8.1 later this April, which is the last big complaint about the OS GUI.

Unless you can find a copy of 7.

I'd go with Ubuntu over 8... but that's just me. I really like the price, and if it's an older PC, and you don't need to run a lot of Microsoft software, it blazes in comparison to running a new OS on an old machine.

There are ways to run Windows software in Ubuntu as well... though I've never actually tried it.

Just got through mixing a 2-hour-long electronic music concert.

It sounded like an orgy of R2 units on stage. Or maybe R2 units having an orgy... Beep Boop Bonk Skweeeeeeeee! :rolleyes:

Good times... if you ARE an R2 unit :dozey:

I was going to grab a copy of Windows 7 from IT at work today, but I decided on 8.1. Quick install, very quick. Took me about 4 hours of prep work (including a full XP backup) and the install took less than 30 minutes. I'm going to install Ubuntu on my wife's netbook, all she uses it for is to go on the interwebs anyway. So far I'm liking 8.1.

Zoom, anytime you want to tra-la-la over to Narnia you know I'm down.

I'm off tomorrow, so I'm staying up late and drinking beer. Whee! I played some Battlefront 2 today, and got my kill/death ratio up to 37.89. Don't believe me? Look:

Sothere_zpsa3de2328.jpg

I'm completely stupid, so I'll try to run this old Dell on XP until it crashes, then go out and get a new tablet. It's what I really want, anyway...

god i just LOOOOOOOOOVE having dreams about my ex fiance/girlfriend. geez god why don't you just put us back together so i can end up homeless again? **** that ****, TIME FOR SOME HEAVY LIFTING!!!!!!!

15 minutes of that+15 minutes of walking on 7.0 incline at 3.5-4mph almost made me throw up on the 30 minute walk back. but i'm feeling good feeling like i could throw vending machines at people today.

Archived