Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

Ah... I should have guessed...

Now that I have decided to spend a little money on some stuff I want (house repairs, new glasses, a wardrobe refresh, maybe a long-overdue cell phone upgrade...) everything else starts breaking at once (car, and now my laptop is reporting imminent hard drive failure...)

It never fails.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Inception last night. Not bad. It was a cool idea, but I feel like it failed in a couple of areas. You had the main character, and he had kind of a story, but the rest of the characters didn't really have any motives or arcs, making them pretty uninteresting. That's kind of understandable give the complex nature of what was going on, but that was the other problem - they didn't seem to actually follow the rules that they set up to make such an interesting premise in the first place. Maybe I missed some things, but on the first viewing I came away with the impression that there were things that didn't add up. Not bad, though.

While I was watching the movie, I was eating pizza from Pizza Hut off of a dirty plate that a dog was licking. But I paired it with an extremely fine cabernet sauvignon. It occurred to me that this is how I do everything - terribly, but with style :cool:

I remember seeing that movie and liking it, but then thinking about it later how it made almost zero sense... then not really being able to remember much of anything about it a couple of days after that.

I had a nice long frustrating afternoon. After my PC starting reporting my hard drive might fail, it pretty much changed all my plans for the day, and I gathered all the files I thought I'd need to backup.

First, I tried to write them to DVDs. However, the drive wouldn't see a blank disk in the drive. Then I had 2 mis-burns, and ended up with coasters.

My external hard drive kept telling me there was no space, even though the files I was moving weren't all that big. And then my network drive didn't show up at all.

After about 5 hours and getting nowhere, I showered and dressed and prepared to head out to go buy a new external hard drive, the network drive suddenly showed up as an option.

I thought I'd treat myself to a nice breakfast, seeing as I hadn't eaten all day dealing with this nonsense, so I called the place that delivers omelets. First couple of tries, no answer, from then on a busy signal. After about a half hour of that, I gave up on that idea...

At this point, after I dragged all the files over to the network drive, and saw that things would be tied up for a few hours, I did what I really should have done the second I got up this morning with big hopes and plans for the day:

I went back to bed. :dozey:

:rolleyes:

I keep trying to stay happy and positive, but this year it seems like my whole life appears to have become an endless stream of "One Of 'THOSE' Days..."

And now I have to figure out what to do if this thing does cash and burn. It's 4 years old, but it's still more processor and RAM than I'm ever likely to use, so replacing the drive seems like the sensible option...

But for the hassle of that, I could just get something else faster and lighter for not all that much... and it will be less likely to have some other component fail in a year or 2.

Or just do both, and keep this as a backup?

That is, if it fails at all. Lots of dire warnings... but other than the weirdness this morning, it really seems to be running OK.

get a decent laptop. my samsung lasted me over 2 years so far. no major issues other than a couple trojan viruses i had to clear out.

it got cold too fast....yesterday it was raining so i stayed inside all day and played my xbox one, Ghosts and Sniper. Did case analysis report homework. took me a second to figure out how to write it, but i think i'll get a good "grade" on it.

xbox live is about to expire for me....no funds yet to renew it, hopefully i get work study $$$ soon. going to get the xbox live, a tattoo, and a new pair of running shoes since both pairs i have are about done for.

deciding what i should eat for breakfast, i'm basically out of anything that is fulfilling, i could go to mcdonalds but i wouldn't have any food the rest of the week...so i think i'll end up walking down to the grocery store and getting a carton of eggs and a quart of milk. that should last me til my work study money comes. i hate being broke while waiting for money...by end of this month things will start looking better fo me. financially anyways. at least i managed to pay my gym membership. :)

i'm waiting for my friend to wake up, we were talking about going to the range today...but since it's cold and miserable-looking out, i don't really see that happening. though i could be wrong...it's pretty early...damn actually? not used to being a morning person!

I played a game of Twilight Imperium, which is a strategy board game.

Took from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. for the 5 of us to finish. It was a marathon.

Not many people are willing to play long drawn out strategy games.

one of my favorites is Talisman and can easily take 6 hours

Civilization is said to take 6 hours but more like 12

Supremacy Has no real time limit, and I have heard of games lasting MONTHS. Most people i have played it with give up after about 6 hours and just nuke someone

yea, really sucks when you are a fan of a team that is less then 20 years old. and has had numerous problems with its front office and finding good players and couches

Oh btw, the last two starting quarterbacks The packers have had (not counting flynn) now have careers with over 3000 completions.

and the packers have been around for over 90 years!

interesting classes today...decided to come home and eat something before going back in to work...4 extra miles i didn't need to walk i guess. boss isn't in today, so my paycheck gonna be delayed even more. :(

2 years ago i was at premobilization training doing individual movement tactics, personnel search, and vehicle search training...kind of a haze, i forget most of it...2 years went by fast. last year was me reintegrating with the civilian population.

hope things get better for you keyan.

i've been talking to my sister more recently via text message, it is nice because i haven't really talked to her since she got married.

trying to just not think of any relationship and just focus on getting in shape, losing my gut and being awesome.

Forum died... sad faces. Probably took a hit to the overall post count.

Air mattress is comfy. Best we can do until the lease is up in... June.

*sigh*

Regardless, I have an internal interview for an Executive Assistant job tomorrow morning. Hopefully I get it and it pays more.

So long as I'm not told I'm over-qualified (That's what Paychex told me. Kinda upset about that one), I'll be ok. If I hear that, I might just rage out hard.

I've had a decent couple of days. Not great, not epic... but certainly not full of soul breaking despair either. Net win.

Walked around Fenway Park today, on the field, and backstage (and onstage...) of the Jack White concert tonight.

Then I walked down to the waterfront, and traced a route along the harbor. It was a gorgeous evening, and I actually felt OK for a change.

And the work on the house is done. Yay improvements!

Work hasn't been too crazy, yet... but that all changes this weekend.

xbox live subscription expired this morning....work study timesheet was submitted yesterday. hopefully that comes back fast. morning workout routine is working for me, though i'm tired as **** by 8pm.

race for the cure is this saturday, and sunday i'm going paintballing. hopefully i can get my marker to a slower speed so i dont hurt anyone. got a chronograph that measures the speed.

started talking to another chick on pof...don't know if that'll go anywhere, would be cool if it did she likes similar things. or so it seems. i am really hating not having a car.

still didn't get a bus pass, so i'm doing at least 10 miles a day.

i gotta can my planet fitness black membership......biggest waste of 19.99...

Archived