Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

yeah it got really hot and rained like a mother****er...

my foot is still hurt like hell, so just going to stop running altogether....guess i'll "crosstrain" on the elliptical and bike til it heals up. :( i'm happy with my arms, they're getting nice and toned from the workouts, gotta come up with an ab workout so my core can at least get solid, not really gung-ho for 6-pack because the diet required for that will never stick, just want to get rid of the "sag"

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started work on Monday 22 hours into my work week already. (Our weeks are clocked from Sat. - Fri.) By the time Friday rolls around, it will be 3 times that.

3 nights of musical theater fun on our stage. Long days. Very long days. Very VERY long days.

Then I figured out this morning that the first full weekend day I am likely to get off in the near future is Nov. 23. There is a giant event at work booked for every single Saturday and Sunday up until that point.

I'm exhausted just thinking about what my life has become.

i got drunk thursday and i got annihilated on saturday...so yep, no more drinking for this guy in a while....saturday was funny though..apparently i tried putting the moves on the girl that best friend-zoned me. i don't remember any of it. i dont even care...just more depressed that i'm in that zone forever and there aren't any single girls like her left on this planet. oh well, i guess that's why god made anti-depressants. heh once college is over don't really know what i am going to do if i don't get a car by then.

well there's a single girl that's sortof showing me interest, she's also in the national guard, only downside is she has a kid. she's pretty hot to my standards, red hair green eyes...likes to work out. i'm probably going to see where it goes...if she wasn't military, i'd not even consider it...

At the stage where I'm not sure if I'm actually depressed or just burnt out.

Maybe a bit of both. Constant work and no fun is getting to me.

I actually forget what it's like to have a social life and free time... and I've given up all hope that I'll ever be able to have a love life again. Months of 7 day work weeks, where you clock 70 hours and never get home before midnight tend to put a serious dent into all these things.

Blah...

I could make my mortgage on a straight 35 hour week... that isn't the problem.

The problem is that the college went and added 2 new concert venues in the last 5 years without adding any new staff to make up the added concerts. Now those venues (and the other 5 we already had...) are running shows morning, noon, and night 7 days a week... and somebody has to staff them. We have crossed the 2,000 concert a year (technically 48 weeks...) threshold. And we are losing a manager at the end of the month.

So basically, if I want to stay employed, I have to keep working when they tell me to work, or go looking for a new job.

Hopefully they will be hiring more help to make up for the deficit soon. But that doesn't help my mental and physical exhaustion right now.

For the last couple of months, yes. One of the other managers (the one who mixes opposite nights from me, actually...) is quitting because it's getting to be too much and she has 3 kids.

But yeah, it's gotten ridiculous.

There are a lot of weekend shifts that are for extra money that are technically "optional."

However: last couple of times I wanted one off, it backfired on me. First time they had to bring in somebody out of one the other halls to work that day. Then I was scheduled to cover his shifts that day, and I ended up working a much longer, harder shift for no extra money.

The second time I tried to get out of one of them, nobody else would take it, and I was scheduled on it anyway. So yeah... "optional."

I don't even try to get out of them anymore, and just take the extra long days and extra money. And those hours don't count towards our salary hours. I could work 20-something hours over Sat. and Sun., but still have to clock in a full 35 M-F... or be forced to take a PTO day.

And when one of the outside shifts occurs on a weekday, I have to declare it as a full day off, since that day they don't consider me as "doing work for the college."

It's a very weird and confusing system. But if I can push through, I can make a couple of thousand dollars each pay period above and beyond my normal salary. It's better than having a part-time job.

It just means I have no life outside work. Ever.

And I'm starting to question if the exhaustion and loneliness is actually worth the extra income anymore. But to find myself getting put on just as many stupid long days and long weeks for straight salary if I refuse the extra work... that sucks even worse.

The other problem: There is one person in our entire department who doesn't have kids, a spouse, or at least a fiance. Wanna guess who that is?

That person gets scheduled the suckiest shifts because everybody else needs to try to make "family time." Of course, as that person gets placed on those shifts, it becomes a spiral: This person has no "family" so lets put him at the times when family folks want off, late nights and weekends... guaranteeing that the hope of this person ever finding a fiance, spouse, and having kids becomes a statistical impossibility.

There's really no win/win.

ed, you deserve a sugar-momma. lol

postponing my trip to virginia to see my buddy til november...i'll be all caught up on my rent and have money to spare...after that, going to start putting money aside to save up for a car. :rolleyes: i dont like saving for a car because every time i get ****ed....and that money would just go to more partying and good times and less depression induced by said car breaking down.

keeping my hopes up that i can find a decent girl before i turn 31. lol 3 more months...

made it to the gym this morning...very surprising considering i went to bed a little later than usual. woke up at 4 and decided that going would make me feel better than not going. :) that's the only motivation i need to get to the gym. and my feet aren't hurting...stopped running outside and switched back onto the elliptical...til my feet get 100% better.

Yeah... but I figure working 30+ hours in the last 3 days must count for something...

Then there the matter of the off-campus 4-to-midnight shift I'm working on salary on Saturday night... Where I'm going to have to wear a (*gag*) suit, of all things!!!!!1111one

I deserve a month off for that outrage.

:dozey:

I like wearing suits, but I hate wearing them in the context where I usually have to wear them - musical performances. The pants are all slippery when sitting on a organ bench, so playing becomes a lot harder. And I feel like the coat restricts arm movement, so playing the violin is awkward. Maybe not restricts it, but...I notice it while I'm playing.

Also, you should wear the vest over the suit. That will not only look tight as hell, but also show "The Man" that you cannot be constrained by his protocols, while at the same time making a profound statement on the relationship between form and function.

That would take a while... ;P

I signed up on OK Cupid tonight. I'm not sure what I think... but something had to be done. I've had a couple of messages so far. We'll see if it's anything to raise my hopes... or just to make my worldview even more bleak and blasted.

Time will tell. Wish me luck. :dozey:

yeah idk what to think of okcupid...but i do get better matches than on plenty of fish. they're not all fat white trash.

my buddy is gonna go with me to look at my tracker to see if we can do something about the rust on it so it passes inspection n i'll have a car again if i'm lucky. that would be nice!

I had a week...ran more brackets than usual Monday night (26), and, for last week's bowling, I got $20 back on brackets for a $15 profit (my league has $1 brackets, and I usually get in five of them, with the "usually" part meaning there are times when my league's secretary can't run that many and I get a refund).

had to work overtime every day (except sundays). I would complain, but it seems rather pointless in comparison to Ed. it is just an hour. And what sucks is my Monday from 5 to 2 is unofficially being changed into 5 to 3.. with a chance of leaving at 3 sometimes later in the week instead of 4

I am waking up before my wife, and she is getting home from work before me.

Archived