Home

Simple question; Is LucasForums dead in all but name?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This place was built for an era of the Internet that is no longer sustainable, unfortunately... if it ever wants to continue, it needs to make a new start... but to do that, there needs to be enough people who are willing and actually have the time to see it through long term.

I've tried to breathe life into this place several times and each time I've failed for the reasons stated above. People aren't willing to let go of this archive we have, these old communities that are just hollow tombs now and there aren't enough people who have the time or will to put together something that will actually last.

It sucks too cause we could actually do something really good with LFN if we had the people to do it. I still believe this network can be brought back to life, but only if certain conditions are met which will never be met due to various reasons out of my control.

Well it IS partly my fault. I tried to do a lot of things but found that I didn't have the time to do all of them for the site due to real life things I had to take care of... so I shouldn't have even tried to begin with, to be honest :S

The last attempt I made wasted a lot of effort from myself and a lot of other people which I regret. Though, truthfully, we can still salvage all that effort if we could actually find enough people to run this place in a long term venture.

We've got a lot of great things Star Wars related coming and I wish we had the people to relaunch this community as something new for all of that new stuff coming.

"Gaf, why should I like this game?" "Gaf, I want to watch this movie. How should I proceed?" "Gaf, I got stabbed three times in the chest and am at this very moment slowly bleeding out. What should I do?"

It's useful to get the latest gaming news, but I'd rather be part of this ghost community, to be honest.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. This place isn't dead, we had over 16 new members in last 24 hours and two pages of new post. Only problem is acdcfanbill and me banned 16 and deleted at least that many post.

I'll admit I don't read posts very often outside spambots posts before banning and deleting. It feels more like a obligation than a place for me to enjoy now. It isn't all moderating either I loath Kavars and even to think about it. I do miss many of the friends I met here. I wish I had the skills Lynk and others needed to bring this place back, but I simply do not.

Ahto and Outlander's were the two main KotOR forums I went to and there are days between posts on these. I think the most active is maybe X-Wing but even that seems a bit of a shell.

It IS a shame but I agree that the internet is moving on and forums in general aren't as prevalent as they used to be, and personally NeoGAF is akin to 4chan or reddit in many ways, and therefore to be avoided like the plague. I was trying to find the old LucasCast episodes but they don't appear to be hosted anywhere anymore!

That's a pretty warped view of NeoGAF if you really do believe that. I view GAF as the single best source of video game news on the Internet for the simple fact that people in the industry get involved there and another big thing... if you post news that isn't actually newsworthy or is incorrect or full of lies, you straight up get banned and they don't care how much of a history you have there, it's 0 tolerance.

The fact that this happens makes it more reliable than other sources where people can simply post up anything they like no matter how stupid it is and think they can get away with it.

And sure, the off-topic and opinion piece stuff people post up is crazy, but at one time, when this place was super active, it was no different. Back in its prime, LF was just as crazy and had just as many crazy people as GAF does now. The crazies are a sign of a very active and healthy forum because the sheer number of people posting and discussions being had attracted the crazies.

No, I've seen this before... when you get people in a thread to start talking about how the forum is dead and then someone says "it doesn't look so dead to me" because the thread talking about the forum being dead is particularly active... may as well start nailing down the coffin.

Now if people were posting threads about other things, then things would be better.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'd love to try and breathe life into this place. I still come at least 3 times a week, but I seldom have anything to post.

Lynk, if you have any plans and need more people to help out with them, I am a web developer-part time currently while I finish school- and I'd love to help out with the site in any way I can. This place holds too many memories for me to sit idly by as it fades into obscurity.

I've got a lot of plans, but sadly, what is missing is a force large enough to enact it and support (from within the high ranking staff) deep enough to make sure it goes all the way through in long term measures.

The most I can do is manage to gather up a small group of people enough to get the ball rolling, but getting the ball rolling is never enough. To get things back on track again, big changes need to be made and there are too many roadblocks in the way to do any of what needs to be done.

After trying to revitalise this place time and time again, I've finally gotten it through my thick skull that it's going to take a lot more than myself and a handful of others to do it.

*sighs* It's really frustrating.

I'm alive. Just not active. :) I got burned out on SWTOR really badly and started hanging out in Gaiscioch guild for GW2. That being said, I read the threads here from time to time. :)

And I miss you all!!

Hey Jae! I went back to SWTOR after a few years away but burned out again after a few months. Still loyal to WoW, although I'm going to be downloading Final Fantasy XIV today and trying that out :)

And yeah it is very sad that the community is dying off, but to be honest I think the fact of the matter is that the subject matter for the forum is largely irrelevant now, and that's why. LucasArts is dead minus the name and logo, and most games represented on LucasForums are 10+ years old and those that aren't have more active forums that people go to. I think if something like KOTOR 3 ever happened, this place might revitalize. That, or something as significant. Unfortunately I don't think that's ever going to happen.

LucasArts is still around, the brand name exists and is being used with Star Wars games. You will see the LucasArts logo at the start of all those games being made by EA along with any other Star Wars games that are made in the future.

This place still represents all that past history and can represent the future of Star Wars games that falls under that LucasArts name and logo. Disney is BIG on milking Star Wars for all its worth so we'll definitely see a lot more Star Wars games in the future, not just the handful we know of coming from EA.

LFN doesn't have to die, we just need the people power to remake these old ruins of a place into something new and relevant for 2015 onwards.

Too many people are thinking of the past and not enough are thinking of the future. And out of the people thinking of the future, not enough either have the time or the skill enough to help out and prepare LFN for that future.

There is SO MUCH we can capitalise on that is coming in the future that can revitalise this place and make it packed full of Star Wars fans again, we just need to get enough people together with the time and skill to make it happen to begin with.

And yes, we also need to let go of some of the things from the past to do it.

This place was built for an era of the Internet that is no longer sustainable, unfortunately... if it ever wants to continue, it needs to make a new start... but to do that, there needs to be enough people who are willing and actually have the time to see it through long term.

I've tried to breathe life into this place several times and each time I've failed for the reasons stated above. People aren't willing to let go of this archive we have, these old communities that are just hollow tombs now and there aren't enough people who have the time or will to put together something that will actually last.

It sucks too cause we could actually do something really good with LFN if we had the people to do it. I still believe this network can be brought back to life, but only if certain conditions are met which will never be met due to various reasons out of my control.

It's a very sad thing. I'm a moderator on a forum (AoK Heavengames) facing a similar fate (even though it started far earlier there), whose software seems to be from the last millenium. The game is from 1999, and even though there's a sturdy fan base, I wouldn't count the regularly active members to be over 35 in either of the 2 main subforums we have... whose communities not really overlap. And thanks to the owners and IT guys not really caring anymore, we site mods can't do much to bring the site to the current century. Well, that and the game being long past it's glory. It's frustrating at times.

Archived