Home

The Legend of Monkey Island (Sea of Thieves)

Gins

played it yesterday till he checkpoint ticket par, it was pretty fun, though could have used a bit more world interactions and dialogues felt a bit blend. Otherwise loved the atmosphere and music 🙂

6 hours ago, Huz said:

There is a checkpoint system. It only saves your progress once you get to certain points - then you can resume from there. It's a bit rubbish that you can't save and load at will, but I guess the multiplayer aspect makes that hard.

Also, regarding checkpoints - to continue the game you dont have to goto Kate, you have to go to your ship and continue the tell tale using quest table in your cabin on the ship. That was my problem (didnt understand how to continue) when i frist played tales back in the day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Not playing the game myself, bit I am curious. Does anyone know if Jess Harnell voices LeChuck in this, or did they get someone else?

Seems like it, yeah. Apparently he's just the Official LeChuck Voice now?

• Thanks 1

For those who don't want to play, it is a bit fun to watch those who a) know their way around Sea of Thieves and b) are a lifelong MI fan. Like Andy from OutsideXbox and he, Jane, and newcomer to MI Ellen, go through Tale 1 on their YouTube channel. 

• Like 2

So, in the course of watching some playthroughs of "The Legend of Monkey Island" (I really liked what I saw and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much of the original voice cast came back, right down to very minor characters), I ended up going down a rabbit hole and started to really dive into the lore of Sea of Thieves in general. I have to say, in the years since the initial release of this game, they've developed a pretty interesting and rich mythology and having other properties like POTC and now Monkey Island part of it makes it uniquely nostalgic for me.

Once all the Monkey Island chapters are out, I might pick this game up for PC, because the amount of content and story alone seems well worth the price. These story expansions being free additions also further show just how passionate the staff is for these characters and stories and the respect they have for the original source material.

Slight side not, but I love the graphics, it's like playing an enhanced animated movie or series, and particularly the water, waves, and sea in general all look amazing.

Edited by demone
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, demone said:

Slight side not, but I love the graphics, it's like playing an enhanced animated movie or series, and particularly the water, waves, and sea in general all look amazing.

I'm still not entirely sure if I like the way the characters look, but yeah, the sea, sky, and clouds are absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 1

Yeah, I lost all of my progress the first time, then got a little further and ran into a glitch where I couldn't use the second interaction/talk key with specific key characters (which worked the first time I played it). I had some minor glitches like that when I first played the other day, but interacting with another object first usually fixed it, whereas todays' glitch remained constant even after dying. I was told that my "quest book had been updated with a checkpoint" or something, so I restarted the game hoping it'd load where I left off, and it put me back at the beginning of the level again with no sign of my progress.

I AM really enjoying the atmosphere, the returning voice actors, the environments and the MUSIC (I wish there was a way to put this supplementary music into the MI1SE!) and it's undeniable how much love and effort went into this DLC, but yeah, between the glitches and the lack of saving/loading options, in terms of progressing through the story, it's pretty much unplayable as it is. The glitches were probably a freak accident and don't affect everybody, but they didn't exactly give me the best first impression of Sea of Thieves. If saving/loading REALLY works like that in the standard Sea of Thieves, that's pretty damn abysmal imo.

I must be a total idiot because I genuinely can't see any log book on my ship. Only a book that I can use to "Cancel The Tall Tale" which I'm scared to press.  I can open my "Quest Book" in my inventory to reveal a drawing of Scabb/Phatt/Booty, but if it's supposed to be useful to gameplay, then I've got nothing.

Also maybe the interface is easier on consoles, but on PC it's a real chore. Really makes me appreciate ReMI's interface all the more.

• 2 weeks later...

So i just watched kinda funny’s playthrough with one of the rare devs. If it wasn’t obvious already it really did feel like the guy cares about monkey island. 

He confirmed what everyone had already assumed. Part 2 will be the entirety of melee island, including the village we’ve already played through. Part 3 will be monkey island. 

What I wasn’t expecting however was that parts 2 & 3 will apparently be substantially bigger than part 1. To hear him speak, this is basically the intro. The next part is where the game starts in earnest. I think when this is all said and done it’s going to be longer than most entries in the series. 

• Wow 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MurraySchull said:

Next Tall Tale coming 31st August!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwUr0j8OTv8/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Am very curious if voiceover for Part 3 was able to be completed before the actor strikes began. The fact that Part 2 is coming so soon makes me hopeful that it was.

While voice actors are part of SAG-AFTRA, I don't get the impression that the current strike against the Hollywood studios and streamers impacts games directly, since it's a different set of companies and negotiations involved. Video game voice actors went on strike separately in 2016-2017.

Edited by LuigiHann

I very much doubt video games will be affected. I’m not going to pretend to understand how all of this works but the writers/actors strike doesn’t even affect all scripted tv stuff (animation and wrestling, for example are continuing business as usual) so I can’t imagine there’s much to worry about here. 

Edited by JacquesSparkyTail

According to this FAQ on the SAG-AFTRA strike website, the strike doesn't cover 'interactive media', including video game voice-overs, so that shouldn't affect Legend Of Monkey Island's release schedule at all.

Though I also imagine that most if not all the voice work has already been recorded, because making games is a lot of hard work, so I doubt they're leaving something as principal as voices to the last minute. Then again, I'm not a game developer, so I could be wrong.

Isn't recording voice overs one of the last phases in making a game? I mean, if you've got the text, you're able to see where the story goes, and you can work from there. You'd want the actors to come in at the very last point, because after that you can't change any lines anymore (or else it'd be a pretty pricey change).

Sweet!

I'm not sure whether it was common knowledge that

Spoiler

insult sword fighting

is going to be in the next part. I found out when I played around ripping some of the voice lines from the resource files (they're already in there, along with the music for the Part 2 locations and the Monkey Island map music). As @Didero said in the spoiler thread when we were talking about it - it's a bit sad that this has become such a "thing" in the universe, and here we are AGAIN with another permutation, and I kinda agree - but I'm still excited about this for one reason only, it's a DIALOGUE PUZZLE! I'm hoping they take advantage of whatever programming they've done for it to make the rest of the dialogue a bit more engaging.

Having recently played Death Stranding, I can't get enough of zip lines. As long as they make the exact same noise as Meathook's on the Amiga, I'll be happy.

• Chef's Kiss 2

2 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Isn't recording voice overs one of the last phases in making a game? I mean, if you've got the text, you're able to see where the story goes, and you can work from there. You'd want the actors to come in at the very last point, because after that you can't change any lines anymore (or else it'd be a pretty pricey change).

Anything that depends on animation timing needs to have the voices early, not late. Depending on a games specific needs and production pipeline, voice can happen in many points in production. Odds are good they did all 3 chapters of this a long while back though. My guess is content for an MMO like this needs a lot of testing before release. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New trailer for Episode 2! In particular, a sneak peek at some of the returning characters. Loved that pirate leaders line!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwh99jsq1nP/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

There was also an earlier posts that confirms Carla (she shares a voice actress with the Voodoo Lady, so it was probably a safe bet that she’d appear, but it’s cool to see it confirmed!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwh5B-0NKkp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by MurraySchull
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 3:18 AM, JacquesSparkyTail said:

Spotted bob in there too. It really feels like every character from the original is going to appear. Can’t wait to see what they do with the cannibals in part 3. 

And Herman. At this point in the timeline, he's probably suffering from Amnesia already :p 

• Like 1

Wot no views on the second instalment of The Legend of Monkey Island??

Completed it m8. Thought it was great! Exploring Melee Island was really nice - they've struck just the right balance between it being big enough to explore without being overwhelming. The way they've squeezed the Melee forest "maze" into quite a small area is clever!

And some spoilery bits...

Spoiler

The treasure hunting was a good way to "force" you to explore, serving the same purpose as the pieces o' eight search in the last episode but 10000% more fun. The moment the fog cleared and I saw the island stretched out in front of me was a special moment, enough to make me want to explore on its own!

Our fears about insult sword fighting were misplaced - it was treated exactly the same as in The Secret of Monkey Island, not its own "thing" like in the sequels. And having Murray along as a trainer was a great touch.

I really enjoyed the way the joke with The Beast was rehashed. Obviously we knew exactly what was coming, but I can imagine new players finding it hilarious. Great to see a direct reference to Return in that section, too.

Oh, and wasn't this a reference to On Stranger Tides?

Spoiler

image.jpeg

• Like 2