Home

The Legend of Monkey Island (Sea of Thieves)

Gins

• Gins changed the title to The Legend of Monkey Island (Sea of Thieves)

-I couldn’t quite tell, is that jess harnell back as lechuck?

-can you buy this seperate or do you need the full game?

-this will be incredible for no other reason than having the ability to walk around a fully 3d melee and monkey island in first person. I know escape had these places in 3d but they were so different from secret it’s difficult to count them. 

-looks like we carry murray around with us

-not a huge fan of the art style but i’ll be damned if i’m going to reopen that can of worms. I’ll just respectfully stfu and wait for it to grow on me like last time. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

-can you buy this seperate or do you need the full game?

You need the full game, but this expansion is free. You're only making one purchase.

EDIT: Interesting that they are using the relaunch logo instead of the original one used in Return.

Edited by Radogol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In before the Mojo news post!!

Woah, another out of the blue announcement! Was literally just thinking moments before that the time to strike with a new Monkey Island may be sooner rather than later (so that we can make the most of the vocal talent while they’re with us, etc.) and it sounds like LucasFilmGames agrees!

I’m getting the impression that this is more of a DLC than a full game (particularly since it appears to be free to those who own Sea of Thieves) so I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being on the short side, but all the same, any way that means Monkey Island continues is good enough for me!

I never played Sea of Thieves, by the way, but this will certainly change that decision. The animation from the trailer isn’t exactly Pixar quality, but seeing these classic locations from MI1 being able to be explored in full 3D is surely going to be wonderful. Sounds like mostly all of the characters’ voice actors from Return specifically are in this too. Makes me wonder how/if it fits into the plot of that game.

Just over a month to go! Will keep an eye on this closely!

EDIT: Also this means the LimitedRun set is out of date again, GDI. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a super-smart tie in... but who the fuck is this, because it sure isn't Guybrush. (And Corina doesn't look right, either.)

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 19.25.40.png

8 minutes ago, fentongames said:

EDIT: Also this means the LimitedRun set is out of date again, GDI. :p

Ha!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

1 minute ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

This is a super-smart tie in... but who the fuck is this, because it sure isn't Guybrush

Based on what little we got it looks like he’s become govenor but lost elaine. He’s held in high regard as a pirate but seems to have lost everything in the process. I don’t mind the design choices if this is supposed to be a disheveled loner guybrush who’s fallen on hard times. Not in keeping with the character but i assume this isn’t canon so it’s a nice “what if” scenario to delve into. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

This is a super-smart tie in... but who the fuck is this, because it sure isn't Guybrush

This Guybrush looks exactly how I'd imagine a Guybrush who'd continue on the same path MI2 Guybrush was. Older, more unkempt, bigger beard, more full of himself but also more down about not getting the recognition he wanted, and still broken up with Elaine.

Besides, after all these Guybrush designs we've had in the last 30 years the majority of them don't look like one another, so 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Gins said:

This Guybrush looks exactly how I'd imagine a Guybrush who'd continue on the same path MI2 Guybrush was. Older, more unkempt, bigger beard, more full of himself but also more down about not getting the recognition he wanted, and still broken up with Elaine.

It does really make me question where exactly this fits into the storyline. Granted, Return thankfully made those details less important with the way the stories are framed, but even aside from that, you ever notice that there's genuinely no consistency at all with G/E's relationship between games?!

Secret: Guybrush smitten with Elaine.

Revenge: Elaine angry at Guybrush.

Curse: Guybrush is the only man Elaine ever loved.

Escape: G/E are in love like a 1970's sitcom married couple.

Tales: Some potential trust issues but G/E are still in love.

Return: G/E are in love and as cute with each other as could possibly be.

If they're hinting that Guybrush and Elaine are broken up, or worse, that can only place this game after Return. But still, their relationship is a real rollercoaster between games, and it feels like we miss huge chunks of it based on how they interact! Their overly-cutesy interactions with each other in Return almost felt like a overcorrection after they decided to change it from G/E being separated from each other.

And yeah, Guybrush's appearance in this checks out when combined with the line about him being locked away in the mansion for a year. It makes me think there's been a tragedy, or the like, in his life to the degree that he wants to distance himself from the rest of the island, despite being Governor, apparently!

Edited by fentongames
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fentongames said:

It does really make me question where exactly this fits into the storyline. Granted, Return thankfully made those details less important with the way the stories are framed, but even aside from that, you ever notice that there's genuinely no consistency at all with G/E's relationship between games?!

If they're hinting that Guybrush and Elaine are broken up, or worse, that can only place this game after Return. But still, their relationship is a real rollercoaster between games, and it feels like we miss huge chunks of it based on how they interact! Their overly-cutesy interactions with each other in Return almost felt like a overcorrection after they decided to change it from G/E being separated from each other.

I’m assuming this doesn’t fit in at all. This is the sea of thieves continuity and seemingly isn’t set in the traditional world of monkey island. The melee island circus is still in business, stan is still working at stans previously owned vessels, the pirate leaders are still in charge and lechuck is still a zombie. These all seem to suggest it takes place early in the series but also guybrush is govenor and murrays lost his body already. None of it adds up but i don’t think it needs to. 

• Like 1

There's an interview with Creative Director Mike Chapman, where he goes into more detail.

Timeline-wise, it's set after the end of Curse of Monkey Island:

The story takes place when Guybrush gets to marry the love of his life, Elaine. At the end of the third game, The Curse of Monkey Island, Guybrush sails off to the horizon on a galleon with “Just Married” on the back, and they go off to presumably have their honeymoon. It’s a really interesting entry point for our story – what if Guybrush and Elaine had their honeymoon in the Sea of Thieves? What if they had been invited to the Sea of Thieves to have this ultimate pirate honeymoon? And that’s where our story picks up.

So could be an interesting 'what if'. Maybe these aren't the 'real' Melee Island/Monkey Island and instead are versions within the Sea of Thieves. Either way I am hyped and here for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, fentongames said:

Yeah, one of the things I do more often than I should, is to imagine what happens between Secret and Revenge and what would have happened after Revenge if there hadn't been the "Curse correction" of Guybrush's character.

The Guybrush in Secret was a naive young guy who had a good heart, tried to be a pirate as well as a hero. He wanted to be a pirate and have adventures.

Revenge Guybrush was a collossal dick, the more often I play it, and adventure only served him as a source for stories to brag about  Guybrush didn't want to BE a pirate anymore, he WAS one. And he'd realized no one gave a damn about it.

Guybrush was still the same person from Secret to Revenge. In Secret he'd already screwed people over if he'd think they'd deserve it: the shopkeeper, Bob, the Sheriff, even Elaine (before he met her).

What changed was simply the "deserves  it" needle, that moved from a quite average position all the way to "almost everybody".

Wally did nothing wrong 🧐

• Like 1

Hm. I’m surprised, but not overly enthusiastic. It seems like a huge love letter to Monkey Island, without really bringing anything new to the table. I love the amount of detail they put into this, with getting the original cast (although, is that Jess Harnell? He sounds different,) and the amount of locations and winks to the lore, but the trailer doesn’t seem to do anything but “show fan favourites” and, to me, seems kinda fan arty because of it. The art style doesn’t help either.

I’m curious to how this unfolds, but seeing I don’t have an XBox nor Steam, I doubt I’ll ever play it.

(Btw. Guess we’ll finally know for sure which way the alley is connected to the main street in Mêlée Island.)

Edited by Lagomorph01
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

without really bringing anything new to the table

Given it’s a crossover event expansion for an unrelated MMO, I hope it’s more love letter, vibes, etc, and not trying to do a lot new with the series. (Hope it’s more “what if” than trying to stake a claim in continuity.) It’s fun reading interviews and tweets from the team, who are all clearly excited. 

• Like 2

Wow, it's been a great year for Monkey Island and I'm all for this. Only 9 months after Return's release and we already have more Monkey Island content.

I love that whenever I think the series is over, it continues in another way. I was really happy with how the main series concluded and the answers that were given, so I'm fine with this just being a love letter for the series and its characters in general. 

It sounds like they are trying to connect it to the series lore and if they can, that's awesome, but either way, this is a really cool way to continue Monkey Island content. 

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't think we'd get new MI content this soon...is this the fastest turnaround since Secret to LeChuck's Revenge? Very cool that all the voice cast is back, and I've read that there WILL be point and click puzzles. This will bring a lot of new eyes to the series that hadn't even heard of it before, which can only mean more good things for the series going forward. Your move, Skunkape ;) I just hope that I'll actually be able to play it because I tried to play the standard Sea of Thieves and couldn't get off the first island without getting shot 😂

I have a feeling that now Disney has been made aware there's an active audience for this particular thing they own, we're going to have more and more Monkey Island "content" shoved down our throats in perpetuity, until we find ourselves longing for the days when we only got one of these every few years to a decade and each one meant something. If you don't believe me, I invite you to Google "Disney's entire business model for the past 15 years or so"