Home

Cantina Part 10: The Dawning

Deac

Demon: I am Sejhan. And I must correct you; I am not in your way, I am here to...well, to kill you.

Gilian: I tremble in fear. I guess we'll just have to kill you first, then? *She extends her arm and hurls several throwing stars. The stars pass through the demon as if he were made of smoke*

Sejhan: One thing: I am, unfortunately, immaterial. However, they are not.

*A portal opens behind the demon. A tall, blue-green gargoyle with white hair steps out. Rwos immediately recognizes him*

Rwos: K'Warra!

*The gargoyle makes no answer. His face is terrifyingly blank and unresponsive. He carries himself as if he were sleepwalking*

Gilian: This is some kind of joke...right?

Another figure steps out of the portal, and it closes. The man's clothing looked oddly 18th-century Earth-ish, with a coat of armor of unusual make covering it. He carries a strange crossbow and a sword*

Man: Who are these? They are not my quarry...

Sejhan: No, but she *pointing to Gilian* Is a vampire. Those two *pointing to Cracken and Starr* Are Sith. And he *pointing to Rwos* Holds the information that you need to carry out your precious vengeance. All you need to do is subdue the others long enough for us to get it from him.

Rwos: *Startled* It's him. It's the "hunter" from the Shadow's ship...

*Beside him, Gilian looks shocked*

Him! But...that's impossible! ...how?

----------

Ulna Shardes

*Farran's ship lifts up and ignites its engines. A cloak descends over it's exterior and the ship shoots out of the atmosphere, leaving the old lives of Farran and Artemis burning up with the capital city of Ulna Shardes.

Farran stares out of a window at the receding planet*

The second time this has happened to me. Leaving an old life behind for a new. I don't know where I'm going to go...but then again, I didn't last time, either?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Greer stopped the veichle, took out his sword and blaster, and quietly sneaked into the library. Once at the entrance, he hid and saw the gargoyle and hunter step out of the portal. He sighed, it was going to be one of those days again.*

Greer: Managed to get yourself into trouble not 15 minutes since we parted.

*Cracken sneers* Oh, i'm much more than a Sith Lord now...

*Cracken draws his lightfoil out, ignites it, and points to the man in the 18th century style armor*

To get you vengence, and your bounty, you must go through ME!

*Cracken dissapears with a flash, only to re-appear behind the stunned man, and slashes down.*

((OOS: No reaction description, Cracken.

Also his clothes are 18th century style. Ish. His armor isn't ^.^))

*The man dodges, inhumanly quick*

Man: What you are matters not. *He fires a glowing net at Cracken, distracting him for a moment, and leaps from the balcony down to the ground level*

Gilian: *staring* Cyrus Duncan. How...

Duncan: Enelya. The Angel Scourge. Isn't that what they called you? What are you doing here?

Gilian: I'm not... *Duncan fires his crossbow at her. In an instant, her sword is out, blocking the green-glowing bolt. The bolt flies into the wall, burning a hole there*

Duncan: You're a Blade as well...how interesting. I was told the Blades were warriors for good and justice. I remember you used take such delight in killing those who stood for such things...

Gilian: And I remember you used to work with men.

*Anger shows on the man's face. He shoots at Gilian again. She dodges*

Rwos: Stop this. Who are you?

Starr: Whoever he is, he's dead.

*The highly sophisticated communications equipment in the fighter Hildr listens in on the converstation. The mention of the Sith had her slightly concerned. She was tempted to call in an airstrike but decided to wait to see how things played out. Besides she needed more information*

Ulna Shardes

*Farran startles, hearing Kioet behind him. Then he smiles*

Farran: Well, I'm not losing everything from that life, at least...and I'm not being chased away this time. *seeing that Kioet has no idea what he's talking about* About your suit. I don't know how well I can fix it, but it should be back in good condition at least, if not full power. At least for the moment. I wonder what will happen to the Vanguard now that no one's around to control them, or make more...

*The ship prepares to enter warp-space. The engine begins powering up...

Then, suddenly, the ship jolts, and the engine glow dims*

Farran: What's happening?

Artemis: *showing a view of the outside of the ship - with several smaller craft surrounding it* We have a problem! And company, it seems...

Farran: What? This is - or was - a top-of-the-line cloaking device. Who are they?

Artemis: They couldn't be...

Farran: *finishes* No, not Blades. But who?

Artemis: They're...they're hailing us.

*A holographic image of a tall woman in a business suit appears on a platform in the center of the deck* Greetings, Ariel Kasen. Or is it Farran Darkholme now?

Redwing, guys, sorry, too little sleep. Redwing, thanks for clearing that up.

My basic problem is that Scar is trying to raise his Vamps to a level above the average Jedi. No they are not Gods, no they are not invincible. However, they are incredibly powerful, they certainly represent the top end of power.

Scar has his Vamps running slightly faster, jumping slightly higher, I'm sorry but it doesn't cut it.

Something I should have mentioned, which I honestly thought I had.

Flax was not trained under Skywalker, he was trained by his father after the fall of the Republic, so was Sophae, which is how they first knew each other. Later Flax' parents were killed when he went off to join the Alliance 1 BBY, he was trusted enough that he was allowed to fly his Headhunter to the rally point.

The shuttle was attacked by GTs and Hal forght them off. For this he earned imidiate promotion to Flt Officer and activation in Red Squadron.

Sophae initiated a romantic relationship with Flax after he saved her life, they were married in the celebrations after Yavin, Flax was promoted to Captain and made Red XO under Farlander. Hal was born durring the evacuation of Hoth.

When Farlander left, after the establishment of Echo Base Flax was made Red CO. Since Wedge got the slot at Endor Flax took a position as turret gunner on the Falcon.

After Endor Flax was made Wing CO and after the first treaty with the Empire he was made CAG of the entire Second Fleet.

This is the position he currently fills.

Got off track there, however, the point is the Flax is a true Jedi, rather than a New Jedi.

((Yes, but show me where EXACTLY that tells where and what spots a vampire's maximum abilties are? What do I have to base on if I don't have any hard guide lines? Under this explanation, I have to second guess myself to what I orignally thought how powerful a vampire would be, not only that, if they are as powerful as you say they would be. They'd be a decent match agenst a jedi, in a few numbers. How ever! I made the rule about the age of the vampire early on that depending on the age of the vampire, his 'gifts', 'powers' and 'natural abilties' would increase, over time.

Vertmor Sertmor are brothers, even when human. They are at the same level, how ever they are still VERY VERY old vampire. Not 300-400 year old ones. I'm talking about 4-5 thousand year old vamps. Vorador is about 8-9 thousand, but which can't be really recorded since he's trapped inside a sword...

Their age's even though I haven't clearly thought of an appropreate age for them yet. But this also goes back to Mrear 2, cus Vertmor, Sertmor AND YES Kvana will somewhere die, and be held by Spectures for nearly an eternity til c9))

((OOS: That's alright @ BD. And no, I didn't realize that bit about Flax. Don't think it was ever mentioned. Curious: did you create your character for purposes other than this RPG? Most of mine were, and I'm kind of getting that vibe off of Sophae and Flax. ^_^

However, I must disagree that Jedi have to represent the top end of power. :) After all, a central theme of this RPG has been the Avatars, and they are certainly more powerful than your average Jedi.

And in the NJO, Vong clearly are more powerful than your average Jedi.

I guess my point is, since this RPG isn't based on Jedi, people should have the freedom to create new players that can match or overpower Jedi. I think we've stayed in acceptable parameters - i.e. Admiral's Aesir come from outside the outer regions, all the vampires come from millennia in the past (perhaps before the Force existed), most of my characters come from another dimension, the Avatars are from higher planes of existence, and everything else (such as the Vanguard) can be chalked up to new technology. :)

Scar: I don't understand why you're arguing, as since you killed all your oldest vampires it's irrelevant now ;)))

*Cracken teleports between Irvine and Duncan, and round houses Duncan to the head. WHAT IN THE HELL!? He dodged it!!!!!!!! Cracken crated a force push that extended 10 ft up, and 10 ft sideways, in hoeps he could knock the guy off his feet for a few seconds. He turns to Irvine.*

You and Starr go help Gilian find what she needs. The rest of us will stay here. Go! NOW!

Gilian! you'd better get your other dimensional ass in gear! Rwos, take down your buddy thing.... whatever...

*Sneers at Duncan. Something was odd about this guy. he couldn't place it, but it wasn't the Force... something... else...*

You don't hear very well, do you buddy. you have to go through.. ME!

*Using the force, and his new powers, he accelerates quicker than any one before him, and slashes down at Duncan*

((OOS: JM, I'm assuming Greer doesn't have any extranormal powers. If he does, tell me and I'll edit. [because I assume he was farther away than RH Irvine, who couldn't have avoided getting hit] If he doesn't, his hands should be numbed but he won't be injured.

Scar: Up to you where exactly Irvine got hit.))

Gilian: ...Very well. Let's go! *Starr joins the vampire as she runs from the room, following the "scent" of the books*

*Duncan dodges Cracken's blow again. He turns to Irvine and fires point-blank at his chest. Irvine's saber clips the bolt, but it still hits.

Duncan begins to sidestep away, moving faster than humanly possible. As Cracken pursues him, he turns his crossbow on the nearest person - Greer - and fires. The glowing bolt hits and knocks the sword from his hands.

Another two bolts are sent at Gilian and Starr. The bolt clips the fleeing vampire in the back, but her body armor protects her. Starr is hit in the arm. Stunned, he looks at the neat hole in his flesh, not feeling a thing as the green "fire" around the bolt had numbed it somehow. His arm is immobile.

I should have sensed that...what is that man?

Another bolt is sent at Kalidor.

Two more bolts are fired at Deac.

All this happened in the space of about three seconds.

Sejhan stands watching above, K'Warra next to him.*

Sejhan: When he subdues them...you know what to do.

*K'Warra's eyes twitch*

Kaildors processer saw the bolt coming and screamed at his body to move. turning, kaildor manged to dodge the bolt from hitting his cheast but his sholder was struck instead.drawing the bolt out he looked at the dent in his arm, his cyborg frame had prevented it damginig anything or even gong through the arm. Snarling he holstered his pistols, drew a glowing sword and ran at duncan

*Deac has just enough time to say "K'warra? How many times is it now?" before the bolts hit him in the chest, shunting him into the nearest wall. He looks up*

Deac: You'll regret that.

*Deac force leaps into the air and ignites his sabers as he moves swiftly down...*

*RH Irvine attempts to deflect the bolt, and he just barely manages to clip it. He falls, the saber deactivates. He pauses for a few seconds, eyes closed. Then he rolls slightly back, to roll back to his feet, in a croutching stance. He stands, still eyes closed, a wound dead center on his chest, blood staining his robes. He opens his eyes to a glare as the wound closes.*

---------------

[flashback: Planet Duriel, Fifteen years ago]

Master Hojo'Din: "Are you really that certain that you should train the boy? Haven't you seen what heppened when he got angry?"

Master Chi'Din: "It not that, the training will help him control himself. Besides I heard from one of the adults supervising the inccident, that the child deeply regrets in doing so. And I sense from the boy it is true. I looked into the matter that he's ususaly sub-conscious even about the little matters. He is quite politie."

Master Hojo'Din: "You'd understand with something like this, it will improve on his techique if he does become angry."

Master Chi'Din: "He really looks forward in starting the traininig. In time his sense of duty will help him control himself, just incase he does."

Master Hojo'Din: "Very well then. It's your ass." *smiling while walking away*

*Standing behind a corner, listening was a young red-headed child. He bolt out down the hall away from the corner, jumping and feeling happy with the little secretive game he played.*

[/flashback]

-----------------

*Parts of the walls and ceiling begin to crack. But nothing more. RH Irvine shakes his head, while force pulling his saber back.*

RH Irvine: "Starr, let's get out of here..."

*Cracken blinks, dumbfounded, and regains his composure.*

Nice, you have good form, now, let's dance! *He glares at Irvine* Boy, get moving!

*Cracken looks at Duncan, and begins his attack, he teleports behind duncan, swings, teleports again, attacks from a different angle. slow at first, he picks up speed as he gets more comfortable with it, and soon, it's nothing more than a blur.*

((I think that generally the new characters have stayed exceptable, however my gripe was with Vermor and Sertmor, the way Scar would keep upping the power every time I countered got stupid. I don't mean that new characters shouldn't be more powerful than the average Jedi, however lines like "Barely faster than the fastest force runner" are clearly meant to place Vamps above all Jedi, had the line been "Almost as fast as the fastest force runner" or even "as fast" I wouldn't really be bothered.

As to Flax, I was writing a NJO book called *searches through dusty hardrive.* Starfighter Command I: Hard Arm.

The Working title refers to an operation the crew will undertake in later chapters hat never got written. It needs a lot of work, however, here is the opening paragraph:

Hard Arm

I

General Taklin Flax looked out of the internal view port at the DefianceII’s main fighter bay. He ran his fingers through his bristling crew cut, his brown eyes taking in the busy confusion that always presided a combat mission. Flax was the commander of Red squadron and in-fact all squadrons in the DefianceII task force. The General allowed himself a small smile; today we will show the Admirals and bureaucrats that rebuilding Red squadron has been a worthwhile use of state funds.

“Sir?” The voice brought Flax out of his contemplations.

He turned around “Yes ensign?” Flax looked the man over. He was slightly below average height with a slim build and a nervous disposition.

The man saluted “Your ship is ready sir.”

Flax returned the salute “Thank you ensign.” The young man saluted again, turned smartly to his left and marched away. Flax shook his head and sighed, then he picked up his helmet and left the control room.

((Ahhh. I see your problem with that - it implies that even if a Jedi had powers like no Jedi before him/her, then according to the "Rules" that would make the vampire just faster. I misunderstood what you were upset about ;)

As for my characters, with the exception of say, Starr, Misae, and a few others, my characters were created for my own (as yet unwritten) story, designed for comicbooks))

*Duncan dodges the blows and blaster bolts sent at him easily. He stops Kalidor's charge with several more bolts, temporarily shorting out the cyborg's components. He continues to evade Cracken's attacks, although the Sith lord had now outstripped his speed. Duncan was out of range before Cracken could get there, as if knowing ahead of time from where the hit would come*

Duncan: You're fast, Sith, but not fast enough.

*Rwos takes out what could be throwing stars, except shaped more like axe blades. He throws them at the hunter. The blades illuminate as they fly, actively chasing Duncan as he dodges*

Duncan: Creative weapon you have there, Blade. *He fires his crossbow at the blades. They explode on contact* But I would have thought one of you could do better.

*Cracken crouched, amazed, dumbfounded, but most of all, humiliated, and angry. No one could have dodged that, no matter what. Yet he did, as if he knew where he was going to strike.

Well, I haven't had to use everything i had in quite awhile.

Gritting his teeth, he bowed his head, and concentrated. Dark energies swirled about him, filling him, consuming him. The building started to shake a bit as he stood up, with a dark glow about him. He opened his eyes, and looked at Duncan. His eyes where errily completly black.

Suddenly, he burst forward with such speed, the very ground tore up behind him. He cought up with Duncan, and screamed*

FIGHT ME LIKE A MAN YOU COWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Using Sith powers not used for years, he attacked Duncan with a furry like none other.*

((OOS: Before anyone makes an argument, this is Dark Rage. it's a power in JKII:JO that dark jedi and sith a like can use to make themselves faster, and stronger. Because Cracken has a wierd sorta magic use, he can make it even better than those before.))

Archived