Home

Do some AIM Profiles go to far?

The Cheat

i was wondering what you all think, i have read some rather racist coments in some profiles

in the profile of NOSman308 i found a rather racist comment saying "I am a Natzi, no not a nazi, a natzi. I just kill Jew's for fun"

untitled.php

now i dont know what this person was thinking for i dont see what is funny in that sentance. a friend of mine (who is jewish) showed me the profile and it made me rather angry.

what do you all think? do some of these profiles go too far? and if so how do you think it should be dealt with?

well I think peope take a lot of things said in profiles too seriously too. I mean come on, what are you going to do about it?

There are Neo-Nazi groups in the US that are rather scarry you cant just tell them to simply quit because its not right. It is their beliefs, no matter how weird/messed up they are.

My friends and I all happen to be a little bit racist towards hispanics and african americans. It is the way we were brought up in the South and I cant help it. But I am mature enough to know when it is appropriate to say certian things and when it is not.

Personally I find his name NOSman to be more annoying than his profile comments. I just think its silly nowadays that kids put the words entry level import jap car and fast together. I also think that the fast and furious movies are silly.

Well, I don't care if people say racist comments. Or sexist comments. Or any "ist" comments. Doesnt bother me at all. Even when people talk crap bout white people. If thats how they feel, its alright with me. Thats what they believe, then they can stick to it. It's not up to me to change them, because if someone tried to change the way I felt, then you got trouble coming to ya.

And, you can't take things too seriously...

like South Park. If you take things like that too seriously then, you must be messed up.

While certainly tasteless and disagreeable, I have to agree with Matt. The guy has Freedom of Speech as a far as I'm concerned.

Interestingly enough, his poor taste in describing himself gives incite to what kind of person his is, even if it is only a joke. So, in a sense, the profile worked.

Censoring him would only make it that much easier to censor that which someone else finds disagreeable later, and again, and again...... eventually we'd be censoring those who spoke out against the majority, simply because it was disagreeable. That is what people who really think like this guy want.

Originally posted by ZBomber

You''l find a lot of jerks like that in your life. You will learn to ignore them. :)

or learn to punch them. sometimes the best therapy is to release your emotions.

anyways. I don't agree with what he says, but I will defend his right to say it. (voltaire for those who don't know)

He has as much a right to say that as we do to criticize him for what he has said.

Actually that was a quote from a book on Voltaire. "...as if he were to say 'I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'." Damned if I can remember who wrote it though. I found that little factoid while looking up a Neizche quote of all things, and was rather surprised. But essentially yep, that attitude is the epitome of Voltaire.

And it's a sentiment I agree with as well. Who gives a crap what this ass has in his profile? People say things to me every day. Sometimes it's rascist, sometimes just merely intended to be hurtful. But it kind of loses its effect when you stop and realize that something might have been said not for its truth, even if it might ring true at times, but for the sole intent to hurt. And when I stop and think of it in those terms, the sting goes away and it just becomes a pathetic attempt at getting a rise out of me. I don't let people get the best of me. Do you?

So screw em'. People can say what they want. But if they don't like me, or they don't like something associated with me, then they can just simply fornicate themselves with a hot iron rod.

And besides, there's another famous quote that goes "It is better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to speak and remove all doubt." I think it can apply to this guy.

Originally posted by The Cheat

that would be how i am a little yellow guy from another planet that makes cakes for strong bad and watchs tv while lying in a crisper drawer

Yes exactly. ;)

We all think its wrong and everything, but, tehres nothing we can do. He can make an ass out of himself all he wants.... =S

Many good points made here.

On these forums we try to balance free speech with a civil & fun community atmosphere, but the fact is that you can't control everyone, everywhere, eventually you have to decide to stick up for yourself and not let the petty predjudices of others get you down. Now if we're talking about people attacking you on the street, yes that's definately bad, but small minded opinions can be refuted in debate or simply ignored.

Of course, if somebody were to post something like that in their profile HERE, you can bet they'd be hearing from us. ; p

PS: This is almost something that belongs in Senate Chambers...

that would be how i am a little yellow guy from another planet that makes cakes for strong bad and watchs tv while lying in a crisper drawer

That has a uzi. :D

This stuff really hurts me. It seems lame too me that it does...I just get hurt at the ammount of racisom on the internet. i wonder...If I gave the IP to the police action could be done. I could/others that livein the US could prolly sue him. Its the US remember..:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi

That has a uzi. :D

This stuff really hurts me. It seems lame too me that it does...I just get hurt at the ammount of racisom on the internet. i wonder...If I gave the IP to the police action could be done. I could/others that livein the US could prolly sue him. Its the US remember..:rolleyes:

Yes, it IS the US. He is entitled to a little thing called Freedom of Speach. His profile is not threatening a specific person, and therefore absolutely NOTHING can be done to him, nor SHOULD anything be done.

People are, and always will be ***-holes. Deal.

i was wondering what you all think, i have read some rather racist coments in some profiles

in the profile of NOSman308 i found a rather racist comment saying "I am a Natzi, no not a nazi, a natzi. I just kill Jew's for fun"

untitled.php

now i dont know what this person was thinking for i dont see what is funny in that sentance. a friend of mine (who is jewish) showed me the profile and it made me rather angry.

what do you all think? do some of these profiles go too far? and if so how do you think it should be dealt with?

The profile is simply disgusting. This guy doesn't know what he's written there!

Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi

What do you think I always do? I have to put up with being called a "nig**r jew" more than most people. I'm good in a HL mod TS, and I get called by some jerkoff a nig jew because I' m doing good. I take this VERY personnaly and his profile IS VERY offensive to jewish people.

Well, ya know, if someone said "I kill white people for fun" Does it look like I'd give a rat's ass? No. Because it doesnt mean they want to kill me. So, like ET said, he has freedom of speech and is entitled to his/her opinion.

So just deal with it. :rolleyes:

Archived