Home

Very Serious Question For People In England

The Cheat

Since Americans drive on the right side of the road we also walk on the right side of the hallways while in school and at many other public locations like malls.

I was just curious, do people in England walk on the left side of halls since they drive on they left side of the road, i figured that would make the most sense but i was just curious as to if it was true or not.

my one neighbor is from england and she does not remember so she said she would call her nephew and ask him this serious question

Well, I try to walk on the right side when I can... But you know how people are. Somehow two kids manage to take up a whole hall width. So then I generally end darting everywhere through halls trying to get to where I'm going...

In malls I think there's a general flow on the right side, but some people just walk down on either side...

I couldn't imagine it being any different in England. Unless maybe they were driving CARS in the mall. Hmm.

And another thing.. it's almost not like driving on the other side of the road, because they also have the wheel on the right side. So if you're driving a European car in Europe, your wheel will be closest to the center, and if you're driving in America with an American car, it will also be closest to the center.

Well, obviously if there is a two way walkway, then we're usually designated to walk on the left, though it doesn't happen often. At places like the airport, where there are divided walkways. So, generally speaking, we walk on the left the same way you walk on the right when it is appropriate:)

Originally posted by Captain Wilson

well...i mostly happen to walk on the road over here (England) Playing Dodge the car :p. Really we just walk where we want (either side of the road, Shopping place, ice cream van, dirt track ect.)

True. Though, people usually walk/drive on the left side. I drive on the right side. I'm an individual, not a friggin' sheep, dammit.

Originally posted by Darklighter

True. Though, people usually walk/drive on the left side. I drive on the right side. I'm an individual, not a friggin' sheep, dammit.

it wouled be kinda odd if you were a sheep. All your typing would say baa. That is of course, if sheep could type. And by this i prove....Nothing.

You fight the goverment. Fight it good.i carnt say about driving as i carnt :( ...yet

I don't know about England, but we here in Wales walk all over the place. If someone is in the way, they move, unless they are bigger, then you move. Unless you are being polite, or it is a teacher.

Anyway, you weren't asking what welsh people do, unless you were being ignorant and calling the British, English

'British' people walk where they please. The only place I ever had to walk on any particular side of a hall was in school...and that's such a far-off distant memory it's hard to even recall the school, let alone which side of the 'corridors' I walked on.

Anyway...I consider myself a World Citizen, so this obviously has nothing to do with me. :p

Well, here in Australia we also drive on the left side of the road, so we have our right hand drive cars. I think it can usually add another 5-10k on top of the price of an expensive left hand drive only car to be converted to right hand drive.

Anyway, I tend to think that people do usually follow the "rule" of walking on the same side that they drive. It's force of habit, and feeling more comfortable to most people. Not everyone does it, but it really depends where you know you are going next.

oh yeah, most of london is the same.

anyone who has seen the verve's bittersweet symphony video were richard ashcroft doesn't move out of anyones way and knocks people over, well imagine thosands of people doing the same and thats what walking down a street in london is like.

scary stuff :(

Originally posted by Sivy B

oh yeah, most of london is the same.

anyone who has seen the verve's bittersweet symphony video were richard ashcroft doesn't move out of anyones way and knocks people over, well imagine thosands of people doing the same and thats what walking down a street in london is like.

scary stuff :(

:lol:

Still a bloody good song though...... :D

P.S. R.A....... get a feckin haircut eh?! :p

Archived