Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you are over estimating the JA engine...

I don't think so at all. I know for a fact that even when you see the finished version of Asteroids, "you ain't seen nothin' yet."

; )

Besides, if you think that Asteroids can't be the start of bigger and better things for vehicle combat, why do you bother making suggestions like you just did?

The game doesn't have to be just like BF1942 to be good. If that's what you want, then just wait for "Star Wars Battlefront" because that's what it will be. BF1942: Star Wars Edition.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I don't think so at all. I know for a fact that even when you see the finished version of Asteroids, "you ain't seen nothin' yet."

; )

Besides, if you think that Asteroids can't be the start of bigger and better things for vehicle combat, why do you bother making suggestions like you just did?

The game doesn't have to be just like BF1942 to be good. If that's what you want, then just wait for "Star Wars Battlefront" because that's what it will be. BF1942: Star Wars Edition.

Or you can download the Battlefield1942 Star Wars mod.

Of course, neither have space combat :biggs:

Well, you can do that, but even assuming it isn't Foxed before it has a chance to get release, I highly doubt an amateur mod is going to beat out a professionally made commercial game.

Sort of like you could say 'why get Republic Commando, when you can just download the UT2k3 Troopers mod?...'

But each to his own. ; )

Yeh, to me Republic Commando looked liked a sci-fi shooter with the SW badge stamped on the front to remind you of the lisence. Looks more like a Halo wannabe than a game that actually feels like its in the SW Universe to me, from what we've seen so far. Still, if its anywhere near as good as Halo, it won't be half bad, and I guess you can't judge too much from early screenshots.

Apologies for getting off topic here, but... how do you figure?

I have seen the screenshots and I don't understand why you guys are saying it doesn't look like a Star Wars game.

What exactly does it have to have to qualify as a Star Wars game in your opinion?

Let's see (assuming for a minute the official liscense means nothing):

- Set in the Star Wars universe.

- Uses Star Wars locations.

- Uses Star Wars characters, aliens, etc.

- Uses Star Wars weapons, gadgets, etc.

- Set during the Clone Wars (a Star Wars canon event)

Granted, one cannot really judge how much fun a game is based on a few (early) screenshots and a rendered cutscene, but still it doesn't follow that this is somehow not an authentic Star Wars game.

Please explain why this same criticism can't be leveled at any other Star Wars games out there.

Actually SW Battlefront may have a slightly better interface, better vehiles, but because its being deved for consuls, it has bad graphics, and it will probably have annoying controls. I still don't think thats worth 50$. Mabey when it gets down to 10$ in the bargin bin.

I have seen the screenshots and I don't understand why you guys are saying it doesn't look like a Star Wars game.

What exactly does it have to have to qualify as a Star Wars game in your opinion?

Granted, one cannot really judge how much fun a game is based on a few (early) screenshots and a rendered cutscene, but still it doesn't follow that this is somehow not an authentic Star Wars game.

Please explain why this same criticism can't be leveled at any other Star Wars games out there.

I can say the same thing about Starfighter. Although it is a really fun game, it just doesn't feel like Star Wars.

[offtopic]i have to agree a little bit w/ kengo..it doesn't feel so much like star wars, because this is a side you won't see in the movies (the rep commandos) and the bad guys with those ninja lints on (you know, a black bandage with holes for your eyes in, like the teenage mutant ninja turtles) didn't look SW at all..the storyline/location etc can perfectly take place in a sw universe, it's just not seen in the movie which doesnt give it the sw feeling[/offtopic]

OK, this is the Official Asteroids Thread and it has gone horribly off-topic, so I must bring it back.

As you know, Asteroids is Team FFA, with a Red Team and a Blue Team. It has Imperial fighters (TIE fighters) and Rebel fighters (X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing).

Now, the question has come up, which team (Red or Blue) should fly which fighters (Imperial or Rebel). Should it be:

Red Team flying Imperial fighters, Blue Team flying Rebel Fighters

or

Red Team flying Rebel fighters, Blue Team flying Imperial Flyers

In other words, which team should be the Empire, Red or Blue? (or which team should be the Rebellion, Blue or Red?).

Everyone please vote by posting your opinion. I was going to make this a separate poll thread until this thread went horribly off-topic.

Amidala-redvsblue.JPG

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

In other words, which team should be the Empire, Red or Blue? (or which team should be the Rebellion, Blue or Red?).

Red Team flying Rebel fighters, Blue Team flying Imperial Flyers[/u] of course that's a question that never even should have been asked.

Sorry for going off topic, its just that the current topic was people complaining about delays in this mod and it seemed to me we might as well wander off topic until it actually comes out and people can talk about playing it as opposed to moaning at Andy and Manquesa! ;)

I would definately say Blue for the rebels Vs Red for the Imperials , as the Imperials are the Reds in normal JA right? Well, if nothing else you can go by saber colours in the original trilogy, blue for the good guys!

Errr....I can't really quantify it, it just doesn't look to have any kind of SW feel, from the admitedly limited info so far. I just can't see sci-fi survival horror as going that well with the SW Universe, and theres more to making it in SW than using a few locations and creatures from the films...it needs to actually look like something you can associate with the films in some way. As Alegis Gensan said, as we didn't see it in the movie it immediately feels distant.

I mean its hard to say why some games feel like they belong in the SW Universe(X-Wing for instance) wheras some feel like a generic game of a certain genre with a few SW bits bolted on to try to make you buy it. Anyway, thats just a subjective thing from what we've seen so far, it does seem a lot of people feel that way but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Originally posted by Kengo

Sorry for going off topic, its just that the current topic was people complaining about delays in this mod and it seemed to me we might as well wander off topic until it actually comes out and people can talk about playing it as opposed to moaning at Andy and Manquesa! ;)

I would definately say Blue for the rebels Vs Red for the Imperials , as the Imperials are the Reds in normal JA right? Well, if nothing else you can go by saber colours in the original trilogy, blue for the good guys!

Errr....I can't really quantify it, it just doesn't look to have any kind of SW feel, from the admitedly limited info so far. I just can't see sci-fi survival horror as going that well with the SW Universe, and theres more to making it in SW than using a few locations and creatures from the films...it needs to actually look like something you can associate with the films in some way. As Alegis Gensan said, as we didn't see it in the movie it immediately feels distant.

I mean its hard to say why some games feel like they belong in the SW Universe(X-Wing for instance) wheras some feel like a generic game of a certain genre with a few SW bits bolted on to try to make you buy it. Anyway, thats just a subjective thing from what we've seen so far, it does seem a lot of people feel that way but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

It's easy, prequels oriented games mostly don't feel like Star Wars.

BTW, Rebels Empire like in the movies.

originally posted by Kurgan:

Take a close look at the architecture in the screenshots. To me, the environments look more like something out of Quake III or Metriod Prime. Heck, to me the clone commando's visor looks like a total rip-off of Samus' visor from Metroid Prime.

Take a look...

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/images/screenshots/12.jpg

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/primeugenegc7.jpg

Another thing that detracts from that "Star Wars" feel in Commando is the "doom-'n-gloom" factor. Take a look at this screenshot of a clone commando blasting a Trandoshan. (at least, I think it's a Trandoshan.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/images/screenshots/3.jpg

When has anyone been so violently shot in the Star Wars movies? It's usually just a hole in the suit/armor, not this disintegration of the face. Moreover, I have yet to see a screenshot that has a halfway-bright environment. Sure, there's times in the movies where there's dimly lit rooms and heart-pounding tension, but this game looks like that's the only thing it focuses on. You just can't make a Star Wars game (or book, for that matter) that is all dark and disturbing. Star Wars was made so all ages can enjoy it, not just teenagers and older. The game simply looks too much like a generic sci-fi shooter rather than a Star Wars one.

EDIT: sorry for bringing us off-topic once again. btw, I think Imps should be red and Rebels should be blue, but it's not something that I'm overtly concerned about.

I personally feel that in order to grasp the "movie-feel" and incorporate it into Asteroids, it must be canon-based information, which is Red=Rebels (as noted by the red rebel logo on this picture

c3po_helmet.jpg

and also this official star wars collectable item

landspeeder.jpg

and as Amidala saw previously in an email, I had come across a blue Imperial Insignia. :)

[on a preview of rep commando, there can be read that comparisons were made at first to metroid prime, but after playig it was something totally different]

Does it matter actually the color? Only in the score tab you'll see something about it. If you look at the textures in JA, red is imperial and blue is rebel. Why change that?

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Umm, is anyone looking at my screenshots? Does anyone here play CTF or at least been to a CTF map?

seta ui_blueteam "Rebellion"

seta ui_redteam "Empire"

Hence my total agreement...

I didn't think about the rebels having red symbols though. I can see why they did it this way in the JK series - the saber colours right? I mean its not like the Imperials all wander round in blue armour...

It's no big deal either way, you're bound to upset someone :D

Oh, and what Neverhoodian said I wholeheartedly agree with, thats much better explained than what I was saying...

Archived