Home

Official Asteroids Thread

Andy867

Originally posted by manoman81

Slapnut...Relax...From what it looks like, Lucasfiles is down. So even if it is finished, they won't post it until LF.com is running correctly. So take a breather...Everyone can't wait for this to come out.

LucasFiles is not the only place to put files, you know, it's not hardly even the best.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well seeing as how I am a file poster for Lucasfiles as well as a Super Moderator for Lucasforums, you can have a safe bet that Lucasfiles will be the one of the first places to get Asteroids TFFA.

Our mapper went through to fix a slight glitch with the skyboxes and the vehicles have been tweaked to make them as balanaced as they can be so tonight (sunday night) and monday should be our FINAL nights of testing. I know it seems like we, well I, have been saying this for awhile, but believe me when I say that we are really wanting to get this out the door, and we are wanting to do it really, really soon. And consider that the hangars have been retextured, the Big asteroid has been remodelled to look a lot better, and the vehicles have completed their overhaul of tweaking and texturing. So really all we have left to do is finish up the readme on everything, which is 95-99% done anyways, and just make sure everything flows one last time.

Andy, please ignore these impatient young men. Take your time and get it right. I would much rather you do that than overlook some bug and be forced to issue an updated version. It will be hard enough to make this successful without having multiple versions floating around.

I tried to add the CTF Canyon map to my instagib server, so I gave people the addresses of two different sites where they could download it. Less than half of the regular players took the few minutes it takes to download the map. Then I saw that some of them had trouble joining the server, and some complained that the had downloaded the map but still couldn't join the server.

I downloaded the map from each of the two sites, and it turns out one of the files was a little larger and newer by two days! The author posted one version on one site, then an updated version on another site and didn't update the file on the first site. The server had the older version, and the people with the newer version couldn't join (it's a pure server). I ended up dropping the map from the rotation because it was too much trouble.

So take the time to get it right so there will be only ONE version available.

Ah yes, I remember that map incident. (I'm a regular Chop Shop instagib player) It was wierd, sometimes I could play the downloaded map, sometimes I couldn't. Now I know why.

"Version hell" is a terrible thing to do to players. I commend you for trying to ensure that Asteriods won't fall into such a snare.

Dont worry, we actually have been going through beta version of it:) But its really helped to ensure that we get the release version right the first time. We are going to be testing soon tonight, and then tomorrow night and then we want to call it the end if eveyrthing goes well these next 2 nights;)

Well, I should be getting my internet back tomorrow, just in time to play some Asteroids...

So if that shall be the release date, so be it!*

*(no pressure to my collegues of course, heh! Believe me impatient folks, it won't be released until it's "done")

Relax, obviously it was a mistake to mention any release dates at all, since we've had numerous delays, but hindsight is 20/20.

But rest assured that Asteroids will be released when it's ready, and not before.

I think (I hope) you'll find it worth the wait. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

Relax, obviously it was a mistake to mention any release dates at all, since we've had numerous delays, but hindsight is 20/20.

But rest assured that Asteroids will be released when it's ready, and not before.

I think (I hope) you'll find it worth the wait. ; )

Now that we have the first player made seige map, I hope there is another version of this (possibly done by other people if you're not interested.) As a seige map, or at least, it can be a basis for A seige map based on the droid control ship level from battle for nabbo.

Undoubtably Asteroids could be treated as a template or dare I say a "tutorial" for how a space combat scenario could be done or built up in JA.

Sure lots of mods have haphazardly enabled vehicles or attempted to do something with them, but they've only begun to scratch the surface. This too, should seem bare bones compared to what is possible out there, this should just help motivate people to apply those concepts.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Undoubtably Asteroids could be treated as a template or dare I say a "tutorial" for how a space combat scenario could be done or built up in JA.

Sure lots of mods have haphazardly enabled vehicles or attempted to do something with them, but they've only begun to scratch the surface. This too, should seem bare bones compared to what is possible out there, this should just help motivate people to apply those concepts.

I think you are over estimating the JA engine... :vadar:

I dunno, I think theres the potential to do an awful lot with the JA engine...I mean they have added some seriously cool gameplay additions for this mod. Still, its complex stuff for sure.

Iamyourfather/tFighterPilot - are you going to live up to your name and fly a tie fighter...? :)

Raven Done Awesome Job in adding the vehicles to the Q3 Engine, but JA is still in Childs Shoes in That Concept. The Map Skybox Thing Should be heavily Modified to fit in Engines(Ala Battlefield, where theres danger zone that kills ya automatically if ya don't leave it in given time, best concept what i seen so far). If raven could do that in patch it would liven up the game by alot, as would atleast One or Two maps what are Team-FFA and there would be swoops, at-st, maybe tie-bomber and z95. Also Team-FFA should be changed to Rebels Vs Imperials not the CTF concept of red vs blue. Also Lambda Shuttles in vehicle maps would be much more appreciated(lambda's can have passengers if ya guys haven't noticed, took passengers my self in the lambda in lugors server many times). Asteroids is a step forward, but Modifications to the Skybox Concept in Q3 Should be done. And andy if somebody makes a Stargate Siege map themed in space, no Colourful Deathgliders would be appreciated. In Stargate The Movie they had to use toys due Financial Things to make the deathglider scenes. I just hate it when people think Ra used those kinds of Gliders...The Toy was used extensively in the show to for long time until they got the CG version of glider, wich is alot better.

Originally posted by Kengo

I dunno, I think theres the potential to do an awful lot with the JA engine...I mean they have added some seriously cool gameplay additions for this mod. Still, its complex stuff for sure.

Iamyourfather/tFighterPilot - are you going to live up to your name and fly a tie fighter...? :)

It's not tie fighter pilot, it's tFighterPilot, a totally meaningless name that just came to my mind when registering to the original SWG forum :c3po:

Originally posted by Destroyder121

And andy if somebody makes a Stargate Siege map themed in space, no Colourful Deathgliders would be appreciated. In Stargate The Movie they had to use toys due Financial Things to make the deathglider scenes. I just hate it when people think Ra used those kinds of Gliders...The Toy was used extensively in the show to for long time until they got the CG version of glider, wich is alot better.

Well, for the SIEGE, the mapper was wanting the glider to be accurate from the movie, hence the purple and gold color scheme. But once the mod gets more recognition and better community support, then the grey/metallic skin will be included, as well as the F-302.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspUPDATE:

I have some information about the file size of asteroids for when it is released. It will be approximately 12.9-13.1 MB in size. So for you 56kers, you will only have to spend roughly an hour or so downloading Asteroids. This is bigger news than what it seems because we at one point thought that the file size zipped up at maximum compression might have been almost 20MB, but thanks to some quick thinking ideas. we were able to get the file size down without cutting anything out. :D

Archived