1. 1. Best FPS Game?

• Unreal Tournament 2004
    • Farcry
    • Call Of Duty
    • Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
    • Battlefield Vietnam
    • Deus Ex: Invisible War

Originally posted by txa1265

- Call of Duty is, to me, MoHAA++ (if you take my meaning ... see computer geek thread ;) ). Great game, really short, really, really short ... did I mention it was short?

Ok, fyi, Call of Duty was done by the MoH guys that left (some of the best people, too), so it is logical that it is similar.

As far as it being short, I guess it was a little short, but I've played much shorter games. You also have to factor in that you not only play as an American G.I., but also a British soldier and a Russian as well. They had to add in elements to make each unique, so it naturally took away from the length. CoD is by far my favorite shooter (though I have Farcry sitting on my desk at home, waiting to be installed...stupid work keeping me from my gaming).

I have MoH: Frontline on Xbox & it is great, picked up Rising Sun on xbox as well, but I can only play it for about half an hour before feeling sick to my stomach, anyone else get this?

The 'Best FPS' game for me has to be Deus Ex. Yes, I know it was a hybrid FPS/RPG, but it's sheer detail and the level of interaction it allows, makes it the front runner in my book. And it is still very much an FPS. Other favourites include Jedi Knight, NOLF/NOLF2, Unreal, UT, and Clive Barker's Undying.

Having said that, from the choices available in the poll, I voted for Far Cry. Jedi Academy is a very good game, and I really enjoyed the SP campaign, and the MP side. However, I'm playing through Far Cry at the moment, and it's pretty slick. You've got some good choices and freedom in how you tackle the levels, it looks great even on low settings, and it's just plain fun.

Originally posted by sabretooth

That's strange...

I expected UT2004 and Farcry to be having a lot of votes. Gues JKA is rockin' currently...

JA doesn't deserve it. Believe me, it's only because this is LucasForums. If the same pole were posted anywhere else, it would be laughed off as a joke for even being listed as an option. If anyone voted for it, it would be for a goof. A "sympathy" vote.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

[THICK SARCASM]I'm dissapointed that one of the Mario games isn't listed as a choice, because you can switch to first person mode in some of those, and they're far more entertaining than that hunk of poo JA.[/THICK SARCASM]

....Did somebody run over your dog or something?

Originally posted by leXX

^What he said^

You missed out so many great FPS's.

Half-Life

No One Lives Forever 2

Elite Force

Alien vs Predator 2

DOOM

Quake

Duke Nukem 3D

GoldenEye 007

Red Faction

etc etc etc

You played Doom? :confused:

I voted COD, Since it captures the perfect war feel

Originally posted by TheHobGoblin

You played Doom? :confused:

You don't have to be all that old to have played DOOM when it first came out. Probably born in ~1980 would make you 13 when it came out or 14 when it was big. That's just 24 now ... oops that's also ~8 years older than the mean age here ...

Oh well, then I guess you'll never really be able to 'get it' with FPS or ever claim ' in the day' ... like us old fogeys can (sorry leXX!)

;)

Mike

*pats TheHobGoblin on the head and ruffles his hair*

My first game was PONG. I have been playing video games since the first ones appeared. DOOM was my first PC game, followed by Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. DOOM will always hold a very very special place in my heart. :)

Originally posted by txa1265

You don't have to be all that old to have played DOOM when it first came out. Probably born in ~1980 would make you 13 when it came out or 14 when it was big. That's just 24 now

79 actually, but apart from that you're spot on :thumbsup::D

i liked doom & duke alot, it was fun and of course pioneered the FPS. but it wasn't until dark forces came out a couple of years later i really got into first person shooters.

dark forces... now that is the best FPS ever.

maybe someone should start a new poll with the best FPS of all time.

Originally posted by leXX

*pats TheHobGoblin on the head and ruffles his hair*

My first game was PONG. I have been playing video games since the first ones appeared. DOOM was my first PC game, followed by Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. DOOM will always hold a very very special place in my heart. :)

They're so cute when they're young, eh leXX? ;)

DOOM wasn't my first PC game ... and funny enough, my first PC FPS game addiction was a 'nostalgia trip' in itself - it was Wolfenstein 3D in 1992, the year I got married. It was nostalgia from my first computer gaming addiction - Castle Wolfenstein in the mid 80's.

A funny factoid about that game is that it required a form of stealth, which has been reported to have been an influence in the making of Thief.

Mike

Originally posted by Siv

I'm actually playing through Dark Forces again with my daughter on the PSOne. :)

They're so cute when they're young, eh leXX?

Indeed. Hehehehe. :D

Originally posted by Siv

Amen to that!

Wolf 3D may have started my FPS addiction, and DOOM was great fun, but Dark Forces is the one that I can *still* play as a genuinely fun experience, better than many new games today.

The others - like Wolf3D, DOOM, Quake, and even Duke 3D, are all just nostalgia at this point.

I would have liked CoD more if it tried less to be like MoHAA++ in every way ... while I loved the tense action, tight weapons, and great immersion that took MoHAA to the next level, the fact that it was the same non-length was a real issue for me.

Mike

Originally posted by The_One

You'll have to wait for the Dark Forces Mod for a nice dose of nostalgia in a half-decent game engine ;)

... or play it on a Mac, where the double-resolution and enhanced audio make it still decent, and it runs perfectly in 'classic' (old Mac OS running inside of OS X)

Mike

Wow...the nostalgia is definitely ripe in here. :D

My first PC game was, if I recall, Sopwith (played on an 8086). A 4kb side-scrolling game in glorious CGA (4 colours). Until the advent of CPU killers, I recall when the 286 came out it killed the game, because it ran much too fast to be playable.

As for my first FPS game - I wonder if Eye Of The Beholder really counts? You went forward in 'blocks' to be sure, and you could only do 90 degree turns - but essentially you were seeing things from a first person view.

Other than that, I guess Wolf3D will always remain as the classic that kick-started it all. I wrecked my eyeballs by systematically side-stepping along every wall to try and find all the secrets. Not to be recommended, I might add. The trackball I had at the time was perfect for the game - I used to give it a whack to spin it in order to turn more quickly to get the drop on the bad guys. Hehe.

DOOM, of course, was a bit of a milestone too. Dark Forces was great. Damn...I'm getting all misty-eyed and senile... :p

Archived