Home

vBulletin 3 upgrade issues thread

As you'll have noticed, LucasForums has just upgraded to the third version of vBulletin. This has involved a very long stretch of combined effort from many people, with the rebuilding of each community's design being necessary due to the old styles simply not being usable with the new forum software. Hopefully you'll enjoy the new look, and the new forum software gives us the oppertunity to develop the forums a lot more freely in the future.

Because of the extensive modifications we've made to the templates and such, there is a slim but undeniably feasible chance that you may spot something slightly broken, or generally wrong. If you do, try not to panic and go on some kind of rampage -- just make it known in this thread. It'll then be ironed out as quickly as possible, and life can go on! A few obvious examples of things to report include:

• A community using the general network forums design when it should have its own.
  • Broken images.
  • Obvious table/html issues, such as a table overlapping into another.
  • Functions not performing as they should. Eg: Avatars won't upload.

We've gone to great lengths to ensure that the process is problemless, but as we all know things always like to surprise you at the worst moments. So, if you do notice anything crazy, make a post in here -- the entirety of LucasForums will appreciate you for it! Note: Problems such as name changes, failure to receive registration emails, etc are not for this thread. This is for problems related directly to the upgrade only. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ranks/titles don't seem to be working (I think). For example, in this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149434

No one has a title except VampireNaomi and SteveBB (who is on 16 posts so it can't be a custom one. Unless you changed it now in VB3 so anyone can get a custom title, but I didn't see that option anywhere in the UserCP.)

But the rest is great. Thanks Thrik and everyone else who helped :D

two that i've noticed is that the roguesquadron.net is using the general network forums design (which i am assuming is the same one that the help and feedback forum does all the photographs of indy and vader and luke & leia and other games) and also in the user cp under edit profile for "web browser" i didn't have anything entered, when i went to type "fire fox" the text appeared up and to the left of the box i was supposed to be typing in. after i saved my preferences and went back later the text appeared in the box where it was supposed to.

Just a minor layout glitch...

The "Ads by Google" to the top right of the forums overlays on top of the header image (covering Indy)... leaving a blank black box to the far right side of the boards... (I assume this is where the ad is supposed to go?)

I'm using Firefox, though I also have my Resolution set to "Higher Than 1024x768" in the User CP > Edit Profile ... could that be the problem, or is the ad meant to overlay the header image? :)

Like I said, very minor... overall though, VB3 is rockin' guys.. fantastic work! :thumbsup:

What does it say when you try to edit it, Naomi? I've checked through all of your personal options and I can't spot anything irregular.

It doesn't say anything. It takes me back to the thread like it's supposed to, but the changes won't show up. Same happens when I try to delete a double post in the same thread.

The ad does overlay the header image by default, though it doesn't cause problems with the majority of the headers assuming that you're on at least 1024x768. There may be a specific problem to you know, so could you please take a screenshot? You can do this by simply hitting the print screen key on your keyboard, and then paste it into any image editing program such as Microsoft Paint. :)

If you have nowhere to upload it, I'll PM you my email address.

Naomi, if it's only that one post being affected that I can only put it down to some kind of database glitch from the changeover. If this continues with new posts made after the changeover, let me know.

The ad does overlay the header image by default, though it doesn't cause problems with the majority of the headers assuming that you're on at least 1024x768. There may be a specific problem to you know, so could you please take a screenshot? You can do this by simply hitting the print screen key on your keyboard, and then paste it into any image editing program such as Microsoft Paint. :)

If you have nowhere to upload it, I'll PM you my email address.

Not a prob ;)

I'm on a dual-screen setup so here's 2 pics:

2560x1024 Version

1280x1024 Version

Pardon the clutter.. modding is a messy job ;) hehehe...

Ah yes, that's indeed how it should be. The header will stretch to whatever your browser window's size is, so it'll tile on and on. You'll note that it's the same indy photo as the beginning of the header, and isn't usually visible for lower resolution users.

Certain headers across the forum will be optimized in the future to look a bit more varied for higher than 1024x768 users, though. At the moment they're designed mainly for the commonly used 1024x768, but there's clearly people who use higher and are noticing the repetition in the tiling headers. :~

Ah yes, that's indeed how it should be. The header will stretch to whatever your browser window's size is, so it'll tile on and on.

aaahh.. kewl! Thanks for clearing that up! :D

yah, it's not annoying at all... just wanted to make sure that's how it was supposed to be.. and the tiled header is a nice touch :thumbsup:

sure beats it ending 'abruptly' into oblivion ;)

Everytime I load a new page or load or refresh or ANYTHING that has to do with loading a page about LF it freezes up my browser for 3-4 secs then it goes back to normal.

I use MyIE2 its a addon to IE. I use IE6 with Windows XP Professional.

Same problem.

Whenever you load a page it freezes for a few seconds, seemingly to load all the images.

Also, certain threads have issues with not loading pictures. Avatars, sigs, and linked or attached images don't appear, or take way too long to show up. Then some threads just crash IE altogether.

Some people have said that this doesn't happen with Firefox... do I have to get Firefox just so I can browse LF smoothly? Why would vB3 be incompatable with IE?

The problem is possibly down to the png javascript which we've implemented to allow the use of full transparency supporting PNG images across the forums, which allows smooth blending shadows and such rather than the harsh transparency which gif images force. Sadly, Internet Explorer is the only browser in known existence to not support these transparency properties of PNGs, which is why the javascript addon is installed.

Unless we can find something server-side which is more efficient at doing the same thing (suggestions are welcome), we'll most probably have to just sacrifice the smooth blending images and revert to the sharpness of the gif. This a very frustrating flaw with Internet Explorer that won't be fixed until Microsoft release version 7.

We're not about to let you guys continue loading with incredibly slow loading pages though, don't worry. Every issue that's reported is to be looked into and resolved, so by all means continue.

Unless we can find something server-side which is more efficient at doing the same thing (suggestions are welcome), we'll most probably have to just sacrifice the smooth blending images and revert to the sharpness of the gif. This a very frustrating flaw with Internet Explorer that won't be fixed until Microsoft release version 7.

I'm sure you guys have done your research, but have you tried this?

http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

I've used it before for some of my client's PHP based sites and it seems to work fine. Though I should note that this fix will conflict with IE7 once it's implemented...

It's issued under GNU Lesser General Public License, but it's perhaps something at least worth checking out :)

The "add picture", "add hyperlink", ext. buttons are not working in in my edit signiture menu. I have a picture I wanted to use, but it won't let me. When I click on the buttons, nothing happens.

Thanks.

Images and hyperlinks can be done on these forums with bbcode. For a hyperlink, you type:

[u r l]http://www.yoursite.com[/u r l] (without spaces in [u r l])

And for images it's:

[i m g]http://www.yoursite.com[/i m g] (again without spaces)

Although, those buttons should work too, all they would do is insert bbcode tags into your post.

Edit My no rank/title problem was never addressed :(

It's not that they're not working, it's simply that the custom titles per forum on vBulletin 2 weren't part of the software at all -- it was a hacked in addon.

There seems to be similar functionality for vB3, but it means doing all the titles all over again, so it's kind of low on the priority list at the moment since we've still got some load issues, as well as various template fixes.

Incidentally, if anybody does notice that the page load times start to skyrocket, make it known in this thread. It should be more or less instant considering the hardware that we're on, so if it's not fast and you're sure that it's not your own connection, we'd really appreciate being told. :)

Archived