Home

vBulletin 3 upgrade issues thread

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little experimentaion on my part has shown the new version to run far better and far, far faster with Firefox than IE,.. confirming the results posted by others in this thread.

This was done at the same time of day, with both browsers open and running the forum at the same time.

In Firefox page load times are practically instantaneous. I've had IE bog down to the point where the images never load at all (although I was able read threads and to post replies.)

I will post here using Firefox from now on.

I have noticed that my PM's read receipts aren't getting returned (perhaps by choice..hehe) but all of them?? I know they're being read because I get replies on them... nobody likes me... hehehe :xp:

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Nevermind... hehehe... found out "why" The recipient(s) didn't click 'send receipt' since they were answering it already.. :fist:

Images and hyperlinks can be done on these forums with bbcode. For a hyperlink, you type:

[u r l]http://www.yoursite.com[/u r l] (without spaces in [u r l])

And for images it's:

[i m g]http://www.yoursite.com[/i m g] (again without spaces)

Although, those buttons should work too, all they would do is insert bbcode tags into your post.

Thanks buddy, I got it to work.

When I couldn't get the button to work I tried to do it manually. When it still didn't work, I thought something was broken. Thats when I posted here.

The whole time, I was forgetting the backslash in the [/img]. One little "/"....... anyway, thanks again.

Edit: The site is running very fast now!

Kind of.

We don't have the addon implemented which will merge a second post directly after another from the same user, which I'm quite happy with, but the forum won't let you post a duplicate post within five minutes. That is, if somebody submits their post for a second time, believing for some reason that the last one didn't get through, it'll get declined and they'll just be redirected back to the existing post.

Don't rush, they are aware of the problem and it's most likely being adressed, asking about it won't make things go faster... If it's really unbarable, I suggest you simply use a different browser while the problem is being fixed, and come back to your old browser when it's fixed (or don't ;)).

I've just disabled the javascript which fixes the PNG images. Has it stopped the freezing? (note: ignore fubared banners which will have occured in some forums because of this).

If it does, which I suspect it will, then I'll reenable the javascript so it stops screwing up all the images and then start moving towards getting the PNGs replaced with gifs (which may take overnight).

Right, I have completely removed the offending javascript and also any PNG images across the forums. There should be no visible change since I took care to keep it that way, but hopefully the Internet Explorer users of you will find it a lot faster to browse now.

Archived