Home

Oblivion [warning: contains some spoilers]

Fuu

That's weird. Didn't took me long. Are you practising your major skills? You'll gain one level per 10 major skills you level up.

Yes, though I picked mostly Magic related skills as major (plus Blade) since I'm playing as a Breton Sorceress, and those seem to go up pretty slow. At least while in the city, not much fighting and spellcasting there. At least not that I've run into yet.

So I had to go outside and make one lap on the road circling the lake the Imperial City is located in. After another 8 hours of playing, exploring all the dungeons, caves and ruins I found along the road I finally got to level 2, with a body count of around 250 or so. :)

20 hours to advance from level 1 to 2 has to be the slowest leveling in any RPG I've experienced so far.

By the way, what does the "Tower Stone" do? It asked something about stars and destiny but was kind of daedric/evil-looking so I didn't dare to activate it with a level 1 character. :)

You'll get some nice equipment once you level up. The loot and the creatures you encounter follow your level.

I finally managed to loot some clothing that looks somewhat decent, though it makes the character look more like someone from the 21th century Earth than a sorceress in a fantasy setting :)

I suppose I'll have to put armor wearing on hold until I go up a few levels and gain access to better loot then. Leather armor seems to be the only thing available thus far, and while it offers almost no protection it makes you about as sneaky and stealthy as a rampaging bull in a china shop. Even with a Chameleon spell to help out everyone seems to notice me if I'm wearing leather armor while trying to be unseen.

I agree. There is one point in the main quest that is almost impossible to complete past level 9 if you play a stealthy character. The ennemies are just too strong. I had to lower the difficulty setting to survive. The thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood quests however, are made specifically for stealthy characters.

Seems like my good-natured Sorceress will have to accept being a serial-assaulter then. Sneak-attacking and Invisibility is too much fun to avoid doing. Unless there is some kind of console command to allow you to correct that mistake and fix the stats screen entry? :)

If the Thieves Guild are somewhat benevolent like they were in Morrowind maybe they are worth checking out. Where can their quests be found? I haven't managed to find any guild halls/bases in the Imperial City yet.

As for the Dark Brotherhood, since they tried to kill me troughout Morrowind and Tribunal and seems to be an all-around evil organization I'm not too keen on doing anything with them except put them out of their misery. :p

I tend to use 1st person inside buildings for exploration and 3rd when running in the wildderness or riding a horse as it gives a broader view angle.

I haven't had the opportunity to try using a horse yet, but what's the point of horses when they seem to have a very efficient rapid transit system in Cyrodiil (clicking the icons on the world map to warp there immediately)?

Is it like in Morrowind where they use some peculiar way of calculating passing time in "rapid" transit, where you could generally crawl to your destination and arrive earlier than if you'd used Stilt Striders or boats? :)

So whats the interface like? The things that turned me off morrow wind was that I couldnt figure out the interface - as in there wasnt any... and the character creation was REALLY long... ok, so I kinda liked that. It seemed to be in first person, either that or I couldnt figure out how to get out of it...

It's bigger than the one in Morrowind, and, at least as far as I've been able to figure out, a bit clumsier. There's a lot of clicking to switch spells, inventory items and check the map(s) since they are all displayed in the same window. (Unlike in morrowind where you could access them all simultaneously by right-clicking.)

Character creation takes a long time and almost requires an anatomy degree (or a lot of patience for trial&error), but I suppose it'll be a lot more fun to tinker with on a replay when you aren't so curious about the rest of the game that you just want to get it over with without looking like a freak. There are like 10 screens with sliders that affects the shape and dimensions of your face. :)

My only real complaint about it is that the face on the character generation screen doesn't have the same facial expression as your character has in-game, so my character turned out a lot more aggressive looking in-game than I intended. :)

As in Morrowind the game has both first person and third person mode. Though for some unexplainable reason they saw fit to remove the crosshair in third person mode, so it's almost impossible to do any fighting (or theft-aware looting) in Third person (which happens to be the one I used exclusively in Morrowind). :( But I guess I'll get uses to toggling back and forth between 1st/3rd person view eventually.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, though I picked mostly Magic related skills as major (plus Blade) since I'm playing as a Breton Sorceress, and those seem to go up pretty slow.

If your walking around a city you can cast the spells you have that won't harm anyone, that way they will eventually increase. Taking all magic was never easy in morrowing either, since the Skills only increase in level as you use them its really a better Idea to only take a few magic skill as majors, or if you do want to take all magic then also take one easy to level skill like athletics, acrobatic's, sneak, light armor, alchemy.

For my first char I took:

1)Blade -Strength

2)Marksman -Agility

3)BLOCK -Endurance

4)Light Armor -Speed

5)Restoration -Willpower

6)Alchemy -Intelligence

7)Alteration -Willpower

Block and Blade has been the most difficult to level for me since I will use my bow first and only switch to my blade when I can't run backwards fast enough from a charging monster. Alchemy is a sinch to level, just pick or buy ingredients and make as many potions as you can, don't worry to much about making negative effect potions either, those will sell for just as much. However if you take marksman you can use the negative effect potions to poison the next shot from your bow. Damage health 5 points for 15 seconds can really help to bring down a beasty fast. :) Skills like light armor will level only if your getting hit so if your not getting into alot of fights then it will be slow to level.

20 hours to advance from level 1 to 2 has to be the slowest leveling in any RPG I've experienced so far.

I have about the same amount of time in the game and I'm up to level 8 now, I hate to say this but if I were you I would start over and take a couple easyer to level skills instead of mostly magic.

If the Thieves Guild are somewhat benevolent like they were in Morrowind maybe they are worth checking out. Where can their quests be found? I haven't managed to find any guild halls/bases in the Imperial City yet.

They only approach you if your a known thief.

You have to be a bad thief, steal something and go to jail :rolleyes: you don't even need to steal anything to get caught for stealing just grab something with the Z key in front of an npc and they will think your trying to steal it. After a little while that you've been out of jail an npc will approach you and give you a letter from the thiefs guild. I don't even want anything to do with the thieves guild but I had to go to jail for a quest and now that quest is always going to be in my active quests list.

I haven't had the opportunity to try using a horse yet, but what's the point of horses when they seem to have a very efficient rapid transit system in Cyrodiil (clicking the icons on the world map to warp there immediately)?

Is it like in Morrowind where they use some peculiar way of calculating passing time in "rapid" transit, where you could generally crawl to your destination and arrive earlier than if you'd used Stilt Striders or boats? :)

Horses are fun, but its annoying that you have to dismount to fight, if something is already attacking you while your riding you will take some damage as you dismount or your horse will.

The fast travel system will calculate how much time it takes to travel to a location and yes it would probably take less time for you char if they crawled there, but the fast travel will only allow you to travel to places that you know about, aside from the large cities you will need to visit a place before you can fast travel to it. If you rely soly on fast travel you will end up missing alot of stuff.

There's a lot of clicking to switch spells, inventory items and check the map(s) since they are all displayed in the same window.

You can set up to 8 items in your quick select dohicky. When your in your spells or inventory screen hold down a number from 1-8 then left click on the spell or item you want to bind that number to. 8 doesn't sound like alot, but I find its enough to have my sword and bow bound to 1 & 2 and 3-8 be reserved for spells.

As in Morrowind the game has both first person and third person mode. Though for some unexplainable reason they saw fit to remove the crosshair in third person mode

Morrowind didn't have a crosshair for 3rd person either. It would have been a nice option though as its impossible to use a bow effectively in 3rd person. But I find combat is much easyer in first so i will only go into vanity mode ;) when I'm not fighting or about to.

If your walking around a city you can cast the spells you have that won't harm anyone, that way they will eventually increase. Taking all magic was never easy in Morrowind either, since the Skills only increase in level as you use them its really a better

It's easier to "cheat the system" in Morrowind though since your magic skills there go up just by casting the spells, you don't really have to use them on a valid target or in a dangerous situation. In Oblivion it seems your spells must actually take effect for the skill to increase. Merely casting "Flare" over and over without a living target doesn't seem to increase the Destruction skill. (Which is probably a good thing in the end :))

I've used some lock opening, chameleon and charm spells in the city so far, but those occasions result in so relatively few castings that it takes quite a while to accumulate skillpoints in those skills.

I think part of my problem with leveling up is due to being a Breton and having the magic skills as Major. Thus the Magic skills starts out fairly high, and requires more skillpoints to advance than they would if they were low. (It takes more work to increase a skill the higher it is, correct?) I'm also mixing spellcasting with sword swinging, which might slow things down further since it means not just one skill is seeing all the use in fights.

If I remember correctly my character has these as major skills: Destruction, Mysticism, Alteration, Restoration, Conjuration, Blade, Light Armor (useless so far).

I have about the same amount of time in the game and I'm up to level 8 now, I hate to say this but if I were you I would start over and take a couple easyer to level skills instead of mostly magic.

Too much work to start over now, but I'll keep it in mind for my next playthrough, since it doesn't seem to have any real negative effects to be low level so far. The enemies seem to be scaling after your level since I haven't really run into anything I couldn't handle yet during my dungeon/ruin/cave tour around the city lake. (Though I didn't pick a fight with "Umbra" who I ran into in one of the elven ruins, and she didn't seem interested in starting a fight either.) My minor skills (particularily Athletics, Acrobatics and Sneak) are increasing at a rapid rate as well and have caught up with my major skills (35-40) by now. :)

The lack of any decent loot seems to be the only drawback so far, but that means the enemies don't have much dangerous items to use against me either. It's probably the most skilled level 1 character I've played as in an RPG by now. :)

They only approach you if your a known thief.

I guess that rules out those quests then, since I prefer to play "good" character (hence my annoyance at my steadily growing Assault record). My sorceress has already been in prison once (at the start of the game) and has no plans for a return visit. :)

Horses are fun, but its annoying that you have to dismount to fight, if something is already attacking you while your riding you will take some damage as you dismount or your horse will.

Is riding a horse noticably faster than running? I assume your Athletics skill doesn't increase while riding? If it doesn't, wouldn't it actually penalize your character development to ride rather than run? :)

I'll probably try it out for myself soon, all the loot I've gathered should probably give enough gold to buy a horse once I drag it back to the city and sell it.

You can set up to 8 items in your quick select dohicky. When your in your spells or inventory screen hold down a number from 1-8 then left click on the spell or item you want to bind that number to. 8 doesn't sound like alot, but I find its enough to have my sword and bow bound to 1 & 2 and 3-8 be reserved for spells.

I try to use those. While probably sufficient for a warrior type character, unfortunately those 8 quickslots are awefully inadequate if you play primarily as a spellcaster. At least if you try to vary your spell usage a bit like I do. (And I thought the 24 quickslots in NWN were too few for my Sorceress there. :)) So, unfortunately there is a lot of interface juggling to flip spells, check where you are on the map and equip/unequip weapons. :/

Morrowind didn't have a crosshair for 3rd person either. It would have been a nice option though as its impossible to use a bow effectively in 3rd person. But I find combat is much easyer in first so i will only go into vanity mode ;) when I'm not fighting or about to.

Hmm, maybe I'm mixing it up with VtM:Bloodlines which had a crosshair in 3rd person mode. At any rate it seems a lot harder to target spells and connect swings in Oblivion's 3rd person mode than the one in Morrowind. In Morrowind I only had to switch to 1st person mode when shooting a bow.) It's happened more than once that I have missed with spells against enemies who are at pointblank range while in 3rd person mode in Oblivion. :)

By the way, is it possible to re-bind the "Cast" button to the right mouse button? I don't use a shield so using it as a block button feels kind of wasted, while I cast spells all the time and have to use the keyboard for that.

I made a more combat oriented character and after 20 hours I was at level 9. It seems that some skills level up faster than others.

You can change your stats with the command showracemenu but your minor skills will be reset. You could always try this mod: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307903&view=findpost&p=5105948

I use the fast travel system only when I am too lazy. I like to travel by foot or by horse and discover new spots and killing those highwaymen and selling their glass armors pays a lot of $$$. Plus I am a horse person and I just love travelling by horse. Apart the jump landing which is a bit rough, riding feels realistic. The horse movements are well done :D . Horses have different stats and speeds. The best one is the black horse...well there's a better one but it's part of a quest

you get it if you join the DarkBrotherhood and reach the level of silencer. It's a pretty fast black horse with red eyes. It's fun to escape a city riding this horse with all the guards pursuing you. It's also fast enough to let you avoid all the beasts if you want.

Even if you gain infamy when doing their quests, I don't consider the thieves a truly evil faction like the dark brotherhood. Killing is badly seen. They rob from the rich to give to the poor and they protect the beggars.

To add to what t7 said, you can also join the thieves guild the nice way:

Just give the beggars a coin and raise their disposition over 70 and ask them for the gray fox.

Edit: I believe you should be able to bind the cast button to the rmb through to the options menu>controls.

I've played through all the thieves guild quests, started the mages guild quests, am a Knight-Errant and a Vampire hunter so far... I haven't started the other guilds yet or the main quest... It's a really good game, when they said it was open ended, they weren't kidding...

Some of the npc's in the game are pretty fun too, a couple of them probably have they intellig. of a 5 yr old... it's sooo funny...

Well, off to play Oblivion... later y'all...

I installed the CS before the game and already made a few tweaks :D

Unfortunately, we can't create new weapon models at this time because there is no .nif exporter due to some legal issues between Bethesda and some 3rd parties (Havok is one of them). It seems that they discussing the issue so we can still hope. However, new skins are possible. You need tes4bsa to unpack bsa files and extract texture files: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=277237

There's a photoshop plug-in for .dds files. To make new items with new stats and effect, it's more or less like KotOR but easier. Select an existing similar item, change the entries and save it under a new name.

0o*

Okay..that explains alot.

I just created a new weapon slot, gave it all the properties, but from that point is got stuck. I needed to load 2 things...

Isn't it possible to duplicate a nomal weapon, give it another name and properties? Just the same skin and model?

I've tried the arena fights and have made it to Champion, where the next step is to challenge the Grand Champion, the "Gray Prince". However, since I made his quest earlier, finding out the truth about his parents, he doesn't fight back in the arena. He just stands there saying "Please, kill me..." and there is no way to reason with him, the conversation ends directly after he says his piece.

If I kill him in that match, without him fighting back, it is treated as a Murder, despite it being in a deathmatch in an arena made for deathmatches. However if I attempt to spare him and abort the match I am unable to exit the arena, since the door says I must slay my opponent first.

Do anyone have any advice on how to solve this quest? I do not want my character to be written up for murder just to be able to continue playing.

If I kill him in that match, without him fighting back, it is treated as a Murder, despite it being in a deathmatch in an arena made for deathmatches. However if I attempt to spare him and abort the match I am unable to exit the arena, since the door says I must slay my opponent first.

Do you mean it appears as a murder in the stats sheet or do you get a bounty as well? I don't know about the stats sheet but I didn't get any bounty for killing him. NPCs won't treat it as a murder.

They'll recognize you as the arena champion who has defeated the Gray Prince.

Do you mean it appears as a murder in the stats sheet or do you get a bounty as well?

I don't get any bounty, but the "Murder" counter on the stat page goes up to 1, and I get a message on screen saying something like "Your murder has been witnessed by forces unknown".

I just find it very strange if there is no other way of doing this since you can't finish the Arena quest without challenging the Grand Champion, and none of the other fights have been counted as a murder to win. I've tried talking to him both before and during the match and I was never given any options to say something to him about it. It he just monologues for a bit about his unflattering ancestry and then the conversation ends.

He appears to be dead-set on not fighting as well. I tried using a Frenzy spell on him but that didn't make any difference. It seems like he isn't in combat mode since you can talk to him, and yielding doesn't work.

He just stands there begging you to kill him without making the slightest attempt at attacking or fighting back. So you have to choose between murdering him or spending the rest of eternity inside the Arena. Highly anticlimactic way to end all those fights. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to figure out a console command to get him to fight back, finally. A more challenging match worthy of finishing the quest and no murder this way. :)

If someone else strongly disagrees with that particular design decision, you can get around it by opening the Console, clicking on the Gray Prince and typing:

SetRestrained 0

SetActorValue Aggression 100

StartCombat Player

While he keeps urging you to kill him, at least he gives you a good reason to by attacking you and giving you a good fight. :)

Okay guys, i have played forsome hours, en came to a shocking conslusion.

Enemy's level with you, but it ruins the story :(

A little thug attacked me yesterday, and he had the full Ebon Armotr equiped. What ge wanted? 'Give me 100 gold!'

The guy had armor woth thousands of gold! Zomg!

Also, i found some serious evil bugs.

I also encountered the arena bug mentioned above, the hautend house quest in Anvil is bugged as well, and if you get exp/skill point for a quest, i won't go up any more.

I think some of them ruin gameplay experience...

You play the game to level, but it will only turn up the difficulty. One of my mate's finished Oblivion at level 3, to show it's fairly easy if you don't level.

Another point of critic:

Fighting a bear is harder then fighting a criminal, because of this 'ai'

Enemy's level with you, but it ruins the story :(

A little thug attacked me yesterday, and he had the full Ebon Armor equiped. What ge wanted? 'Give me 100 gold!'

Perhaps it's a good thing to level up slowly then, so you won't have to tangle with lowly street thugs dressed in armor and weapons worth a small country, or simple patrol cops that would put an elite special ops commando to shame. :) (Simple guard duty seems to be very prestigious work in Cyrodiil since every town guard seem to be made up entirely of hardened elite warriors.)

Leveling of opponents can be a good thing, if it's done reasonably. I.e. not every single opponent is leveled, and their equipment is based on their station and background to make it plausible. Blanket leveling of all enemies and loot just kills suspension of disbelief.

and if you get exp/skill point for a quest, i won't go up any more.

Hmm, what do you mean by this? Is there some quest that should be avoided, that is a game stopper?

You play the game to level, but it will only turn up the difficulty. One of my mate's finished Oblivion at level 3, to show it's fairly easy if you don't level.

Indeed. I've passed through a couple of Oblivion gates so far, and was fairly surprised that my level 3 character managed to survive without any trouble. I remember Dremora being fairly tough opponents in Morrowind, but they fell in just a couple of sword blows here.

Fighting a bear is harder then fighting a criminal

That seems pretty logical actually. Bears are hideously strong and powerful animals after all. :)

By the way, has the Armor system changed from Morrowind? The Armor rating numbers seem overall to be a lot lower than they were in that game, to the point where I didn't think it was worthwhile for my Sorceress to wear any armor at all. (But if the scale or use of the Armor rating has changed perhaps I should re-evaluate that decision...)

There are several quest you should avoid.

I've confirmed one: The very FIRST mission of the Fighters Guild. You'll get a free mercentile training if you finish it. Mine wouldn't go up anymore...

Some forums claim every quest wich grants you a free training in a certain skill.

Edit:

Found a mod to fix our problem :D

It removes the elite armors from the possible armor thugs can wear.

In other words: They will level, but keep their thuggish leather armor ;)

http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2130

Now realism is restored :)

*hail the nine!*

Another PS:

The B*ast*rds want you to register, but i've made an account for all of us:

Name: Lucasforums

Pass: kotor

Then you can d-load it without the spam ^^

I've played Oblivion for along time since it came out. I love almost everything about it, except one thing, the main quest. I liked it's story line, except it wasn't long enough. They said it was 20-25 hours long, but I completed it in under 10 hours.

^^^

True, but the thing I love about the game so far.. is that I'm level 3 (by choice).. and have spent absolutely no time whatsoever on the main quest... I've used about 15 "game days" and have progressed through half-way between both the Thieves' Guild & Dark Brotherhood quests... and I'm Champion of the Arena. Currently walking (riding) over to Crowhaven to complete the Gray Princes' story (which unfortunately by dumb-arse got spoiled reading a thread I know I shouldn't have been reading over at Morrowind Summit's Forums) :headbump

I'm leveling slowly so I can see the leveled creature spawn list (something I'm not too fond of).. yah, it gets a little boring every now and then seeing imps and goblins all the time, but when I see a "new" creature, it makes it much more "zOMG what is THAT?!" experience.. hehehe..

Of course, it's taken me this long because I broke my own rule and started modding/tweaking a few things beforehand ;) The CS is sweet, but I miss the preview window for model renders... ahh well, at least you can view creature/npc models and animations in their object file. I made my sniping zoom a little better so that the skill rank was actually worthwhile, changed the color of the night eye effect and made my birthsign I used in Morrowind since I'm playing a "relative" of the Nerevarine :D My Thief/Ranger-esque PC is quite the dead-eye, lethal at distance.. uber-wimp closeup. I tend to back-peddle alot... :o

I'm with Darth333.. I walk everywhere (when I'm not stealing a horse).. and I've used fast travel only a few times when I needed to drop some loot over at my overpriced hovel of a "home" in the Waterfront :rolleyes: even fully furnished I think I was the one who got robbed in that deal.. hehehe...

Saving my hard-stolen pennies for one of the nicer houses ;)

@T7, there's now a saddlebag mod for horses so you can have your "mule" now :D It's been a helping hand for me and I do a lot less fast traveling to drop off loot.

I'm liking the ranked skills too.. I too had a problem beeing spotted sneaking all the time until I raised to about Apprentice/Journeyman levels.. then your boot weight and movement doesn't affect your skill.

Water exploration (I was a big swimmer in Morrowind) was horrible until someone released a really nice water fog reduction mod. Now I enjoy it as much as I did in Morrowind.. though those clams seem to spawn a crapload of pearls. Pretty much an 80-20 split :rolleyes: There's tons of water mods out already, but the Blue Lagoon one is my favorite. Makes the water clear underwater, changes light diffusion.. and sets the visible water surface a nice matching color so that you're not jumping into murky water only to find it crystal clear underneath.. :D

So I finally scraped up the cash to upgrade my graphics card and purchase Oblivion.

Needless to say I'm in RPG heaven. The quality is unreal, and I'm blown away by the Radiant AI. Hopefully I wont get too sucked in seeing as how I have a mod to finish and a fic that I need to work on as well.

I havent really found anything that I dislike persay, allthough I should probably upgrade my memory <playing for hours on end the loading speeds get slower and eventually i have to exit and restart my compie.>

At this point I've already completed the first mission along the main quest thread, and I'm just wandering around checking out dungeons and such.

The only sucky thing: all the guys in my house have become addiced as well, and I have to fight with them to get in gametime XD.

I did go looking for some mods.... but unfortunately "Planet Elder Scrolls" is a paysite <You mean I have to pay for peoples unlicenced work? wha the deuce?> Its not that much, but I'm against having to pay for anything that wasnt released by the originator of the game. I did find a funny mod on the other site (Oblivionsource?), it eliminates the "Barbie Effect" of melded bras on the lady characters. Good for all the womangz loving gamers, or anyone <me> who wants more realisim..... haha.

Fuu

I did go looking for some mods.... but unfortunately "Planet Elder Scrolls" is a paysite <You mean I have to pay for peoples unlicenced work? wha the deuce?> Its not that much, but I'm against having to pay for anything that wasnt released by the originator of the game.

Hey Fuu,

Fileplanet does have free download servers.. and they're just as fast as the "pay" ones ;) Just thought you should know. Scroll further down the list of servers and you'll spot the free ones :D (may still need to register though)

Also, TESSOURCE is a good site for some mods as well.. they tend to mirror alot (or more) of what Planet has :)

Good to know XD. To be honest I did'nt spend all that much time looking....I was too anxious to play. <Tee-Heee> Now that I've put some time into it I think I'll check those out. Thanks!

Fuu

Thanks ChAiNz for both links, I was just thinking today how a horse could be given an inventory. It's nice to see someone is way ahead of me.

So far in my game I've already played around 30 hours and I have not done a single guild quest or joined any, But I am a member of 2 factions. :) npc's just keep comming up to me with something to do, But I have also been playing the main quest I think I'm half way through and I have closed 3 Oblivion gates, though I am seeing them all over the place now.

I don't think anyone mentioned this mod yet.

Color map

and

MD_Natural_Faces_v0.7

True, but the thing I love about the game so far.. is that I'm level 3 (by choice).. and have spent absolutely no time whatsoever on the main quest... I've used about 15 "game days"

(snip)

I'm leveling slowly so I can see the leveled creature spawn list (something I'm not too fond of)..

After some more playing I've found that I rather enjoy the slow leveling as well. Gives you time to explore the world and see what's there without half of it vanishing before being seen due to it becoming "obsolete" due to high levels. And it makes it more exciting to find nice loot when you won't find an Amulet of Godhood or a Daedric Dai-Katana in every other crate in some generic bandit cave. :)

Though some kinds of loot seems to be very rare, unless I'm just unlucky. I haven't found a single Katana anywhere so far beside the one I got from the Blades when I joined them. A bit evil since it looks a lot more elegant than those huge, clumsy long swords, more suited for a sneaky sorceress. Though I guess my Katana can last me a while longer since I enchanted it with one of the Oblivion Portal Sigil stones containing a 10 pt Absorb Health effect. :)

I'm currently level 9, about 40 days "in-game time" into the game. I have gotten a bit along the main quest though, about as far as getting to join the Blades, but now I'm taking some time off to explore the world (perhaps not very realistic since the main quest presses that time is of the essence, but whatever...) At least I have closed 10 Oblivion Gates that seems to pop up in the wilderness every now and then. (One time I was exiting a cave I has just explored and found that a Gate had opened right next to the cave entrance, that wasn't there when I entered. :))

Can you visit the town of Kvatch(sp?) before the main quest takes you there? Are there Oblivion Gates appearing out in the wilderness if you haven't done anything on the main quest?

made my birthsign I used in Morrowind since I'm playing a "relative" of the Nerevarine :D My Thief/Ranger-esque PC is quite the dead-eye, lethal at distance.. uber-wimp closeup. I tend to back-peddle alot... :o

Strange, I tried to re-create my Birthsign from Morrowind as well, but it never showed up in the list of available signs in-game when the Emperor asked me what sign I was born under.

I'm with Darth333.. I walk everywhere (when I'm not stealing a horse).. and I've used fast travel only a few times when I needed to drop some loot over at my overpriced hovel of a "home" in the Waterfront :rolleyes:

I tend to run where I want to go as well, got to work on increasing that Athletics skill. :) I bought a horse, but found it near-impossible to "steer", and it seems the thing didn't move noticably faster than my own character running, so I got rid of it again pretty quick. Do horses come in different speeds, or are they all that slow? :)

Compared to some of the other houses you can get in the game, the shack in the Imperial City is fairly cheap. The most ridiculously expensive I've come across so far is the one in Skingrad. 25000 gold just to buy the house without a single piece of furniture, and then another 28000 gold to fully furnish and staff it with the 11 or so "upgrades" available to purchase. Pretty steep.

Kind of fitting I suppose, since it appears to be the town with the highest concentration of jerks in all of Cyrodiil. (Like anyone in the castle, or the Primate in the chapel, who sure hasn't read the last of the 10 commandments of the 9 divines... the "Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes" one. More like "I am the primate of this chapel, but you may refer to me as God, and may grovel at my feet at your leisure".) :roleyess:

I'm liking the ranked skills too.. I too had a problem beeing spotted sneaking all the time until I raised to about Apprentice/Journeyman levels.. then your boot weight and movement doesn't affect your skill.

I've stayed away from armor completely so far... I play primarily as a sorceress who mixes spells with sneaking around and Sneak Attacking enemies, killing them with a single blow from my Katana before they have a chance to fight back. Since armor both decreases the effectiveness of spells and makes it harder to sneak it was just getting in the way. Sneaking in common clothing with sandals on my feet works fine most of the time, and in particularily dark ruins or dungeons you can often sneak right up to them without being noticed and sneak attack them even if they look your way. I was practically never sneaking around in Morrowind, but in Oblivion it's great fun. :)

Water exploration (I was a big swimmer in Morrowind) was horrible until someone released a really nice water fog reduction mod. Now I enjoy it as much as I did in Morrowind.. though those clams seem to spawn a crapload of pearls.

Nice, I'll have to check out that mod, though I usually avoid most Mods first time through a game. I've been using my "Special Ops" sneaking gear with Night Eye and Detect Life whenever under water too so far since I can't see a thing otherwise. Though I haven't found much underwater anyway, no caves or ruins. Seems like water plays less of a role in this game than in Morrowind. I have found a lot of pearls in clams as well, but they seem to be worth little more than dirt, selling for only a couple Gold a piece.

(I'll probably use the Arachnophobia mod as well... I hate games with spider-like creatures in them, spiders really unsettle me for some reason.)

EDIT: By the way, how do you affect the mood of your character? Most of the time my Breton Sorceress looks angrily frowning, and I assumed there was nothing to do about it. But suddenly I noticed that one day she was smiling, and kept smiling for roughly a day before returning to the normal "angry" look. It's a minor thing, but got me curious as to what could be the cause? (I'd rather keep the smiling face, looks a bit dumb when a character with High personality walks around with a big angry frown on her face constantly...)

Some tips:

Ask around for rumors. Almost every rumor will be followed by a side-quest. It got me a very neat shield ^^

Try to close Oblivion gates. At the end of every one, you'll get a cool sigil that can make ordinary weapons magical. Create your own weapon without having to donate your kidney to fund it!

Don't be sad if the cool armor doesn't drop for you. It will around lv 10-15.

Some mods i'm using atm:

This mod fixes one of the most anoying things of the game: NPC's that get new armor, as you do too. Cheap-ass bandits with full Ebony armor etc.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=234

I was very pissed when if found out you can't loot items from the arena. A guy fixed it :phttp://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=203

After becoming grand champion of the Arena, only ten people were watching my matches. It realy depressed me....this one adds more people:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=200

I'm overcumbered 90% of the time, so a storage would be nice...this one adds a chest that doesn't empty like the normal ones to every guild.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=106

This mod makes the sneak attacks a bit more powerfull. I thought they were a bit weak in the game...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=101

The Vampire-cure quest is bugged. So unless you like your new dental look, i suggest you install this mod. It makes the alchemy girl in Skingrad sell Vampire cure potions.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=47

Hope it helps a bit ;)

btw...When can we expect a 'Ultimate Sword Mod' for Oblivion? :p

Archived