Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Obsidian's home page, they recently announced a partnership with SEGA to produce an origional next gen RPG. This means that either Obsidian is going to finish Neverwinter nights 2, while still working on KOTOR 3 AND start on this new project, (which is unlikely unless this is what they are hiring for, due to the small size of the company), or They are not going to be producing KOTOR 3.

Who can seriously believe that they are already working on Kotor3 anyway? Have a look at this article from february 18th:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/684/684902p1.html

It's stated out by OE's CEO that they hire people to become able to develop three games in parallel by the end of 2006. That means that by now they're capable to work on two games at a time and we already know that none of them is Kotor3. One is NWN2 and the other is OE's own thing and no franchise.

Yet still Obsidian is the logical choice to make Kotor3 and the graphics engine of NWN2 is the logical choice for Kotor3 (remember NWN, K1 and K2 share the same roleplaying engine and pretty much the same graphics engine). Let's have a look at NWN2: They got the renderer running for some time - the engine as whole should be done except minor detail work, it seems they got the creature modelling done so it is likely that they got the (N)PCs too, the screenshots on the official site show finished maps and it can't be long until they show the first trailers... I assume NWN2 is going to be published in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter 2006 and that's the time they can actually begin to work seriously on Kotor3 and/or the title they develop for SEGA.

Obsidian Entertainment has 3 projects now.

- Neverwinter Nights 2(Project Pennsylvania) in full production mode

- Project New Jersey: a new IP with an unannounced publisher, a next-gen console action RPG based on Unreal engine 3, in full production mode

- Project Georgia: a new IP with a publisher SEGA, in pre-production mode(working on core concepts)

Well, I guess that pretty much covers what Feargus Urquhart said he wanted Obsidian to do. Two games in full production and one in pre-production. Doesn't sound like any of these games are the next KotOR.

Hey, dowon. What's your source for Obsidian Entertainment's project names and info that you listed?

Yet still Obsidian is the logical choice to make Kotor3 and the graphics engine of NWN2 is the logical choice for Kotor3 (remember NWN, K1 and K2 share the same roleplaying engine and pretty much the same graphics engine). Let's have a look at NWN2: They got the renderer running for some time - the engine as whole should be done except minor detail work, it seems they got the creature modelling done so it is likely that they got the (N)PCs too, the screenshots on the official site show finished maps and it can't be long until they show the first trailers... I assume NWN2 is going to be published in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter 2006 and that's the time they can actually begin to work seriously on Kotor3 and/or the title they develop for SEGA.
If this is true then I wouldn't expect KotOR 3 to be released until sometime in 2008. I just have a hard time believing that LucasArts would wait that long. IMO if LA doesn't get KotOR 3 out by end of 2007 then they're really messed up in the collective head. Of course I'll probably still buy the next KotOR even if it does debut in 2008...

I still want to find out what Project New Jersey is before I will completely rule out it's potential to be the next KotOR. I know. Word on the street is that PNJ is an original IP title but there is always the potential for misinformation, a.k.a. propaganda.

About project new jersey...

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=32776&st=15&p=319780entry319780

[project new jersey] is not going to be kotor 3. Obsidian has said that their next game isn't a sequel.

True and true.

About project georgia...

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=40776&st=63#

Ok, MYSTERY solved thanks to Feargus [urquhart]:

Q: Is the Sega game PNJ?

FU: Actually - just to be confusing. this one is PG (PG=Project Georgia). So, as stated in the IGN interview, PNJ & PG are likely console oriented. NWN2/PP is the PC team

and obsidian's games at wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment

Obsidian Entertainment code-names its projects after a list of U.S. states by date of statehood.

Project Delaware - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (KotOR II), released in 2004 for Xbox and in 2005 for PC, is Obsidian's first production.

Project Pennsylvania - Neverwinter Nights 2 is currently in development.

Both are sequels to products originally engineered by BioWare.

There is also a game to be announced, codenamed "Project New Jersey", confirmed by Obsidian employee John Morgan not to be a sequel. Also by words of Urquhart, the company hopes to be around 115 employees by the end of 2006, forming in 2 and a half teams, who will be working on three projects simultaneously. Knights of the Old Republic III is also in the plans of the company, should LucasArts desire it in the future.

On March 23, 2006, Obsidian and Sega announced that they will co-develop a role-playing game (codename: "Project Georgia") based on a new intellectual property. It is currently slated for release on the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.

This is rediculous, I mean now that OE has three projects up their sleeves they're probably going to have their hand full for a very long time. Why the heck didn't they choose to do Kotor III? they know that a lot of people want it, is it LA's fault? dam it! very frustrating. Well guys OE has their hands full for probably the next three years. Games take like a year each to make? I'm probably wrong but I think OE will be too busy to make Kotor III.Dam only if I was the boss of OE I would've chose Kotor III over some other s***y games.Well guys lets continue too enjoy the loooooooooooooong wait.

@ dowon - Thanks for providing such detailed sources! :thumbsup:

That seems to pretty much squash the possibility of KotOR 3 being in any form of current development at Obsidian Entertainment. Oh well. :giveup:

So I see current possibilities as:

1) LucasArts has commissioned another developer for the next KotOR but hasn't announced it yet.

2) LucasArts hasn't commissioned a developer for the next KotOR.

3) LucasArts plans to develop the next KotOR in-house.

4) Obsidian Entertainment is developing the next KotOR but isn't saying that they are.

Hmmm... That really narrows it down, doesn't it? [/sarcasm] :roleyess:

Why the heck didn't they choose to do Kotor III?

Because it's not their choice. They said they would like to do it but it was always clear that NWN2 would come first.

Well guys OE has their hands full for probably the next three years.

Why? I believe NWN2 is getting into the final state of production soon and project NJ is in full production for some time now and maybe they show it at the E3. If they do it will likely be published before xmas or in the late 1st quarter 2007. I think it's not a tough prediction to say that both games that are in full production now will be published within one year and probably earlier.

Long time no talk, so I figure I'll throw my hat into the fire....we'll hear about Kotor 3 by Christmas, and it'll be out next Summer.

While I would appreciate that, my guess is more coservative: We'll hear about a new project for LA around september/october 2006, hear that it is in fact Kotor3 in 12 months from now and get it in the 4th quarter 2007.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Obsidian_On_Star_Wars:_Knights_of_The_Old_Republic_3_9640_5665_0.htm

Obsidian On Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3

We'd be happy to do KOTOR3 if that's what LucasArts wants us to do...

Speaking to TVG about the in-development NeverWinter Nights 2, Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart was also happy to discuss with TVG the current "will it/won't it" situation surrounding LucasArts Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.

"We have been talking with LucasArts to do KOTOR3 since August 2004 and we hoped to do it since KOTOR2 was done. LucasArts is thinking what they want to do with it and we would happily make KOTOR3, if that's what LucasArts wants to do."

So it seems ideas are on the table, whether or not LucasArts will conclude this trilogy faster than they do with others, however, remains to be seen.

We'll have the full interview with Urquhart soon...

Excellent find, dowon! Well it's good info anyway even if it's not great news...

Awww man! What a disappointment to hear Obsidian's CEO say they have been talking with LucasArts about doing KotOR 3 since August 2004 and they're still talking about it. :( If this is the case then I'm back to wondering if the next KotOR will even be made. Or it's also possible that LA is considering another company instead of Obsidian Entertainment to make the next KotOR.

I wonder what Lucas Arts has to officially say. My reasoning is that there have been several rumors that Obsidian Ent. has been working on KotOR III for some time, and now Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment comes out and says they have been in talks since August 2004. I think there is a contradiction somewhere.

Some questions that come up:

1. Are they or are they not working on KIII?

2. How long have they 'been working' on KotOR III?

3. Why all the cloak and dagger? Why don't just tell everyone they have been working on KotOR III?

For a company that has been denying they are not in anyway connected to KotOR III, Obsidian has a intresting way of showing there is no connection.

Edit:

This could be Obsidian's way of trying to keep connected to the KotOR series. If you go to LucasArts.com, their Flash advertising no longer has KotOR II. KotOR II was removed from the Flash advertising about a week ago. Obsidian could be trying to keep the KotOR series going.

Therefore, I would take what Obsidian has to say about KotOR III as speculation. Until I hear something from Lucas Arts, I don't know what to believe.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/NeverWinter_Nights_2_Feature_9679_3995_0_0_0_40_60.htm

Q: Also, staying on the subject of deals, has LucasArts approached you to develop Knights of the Old Republic III?

Feargus Urquhart: We have been in talks with LucasArts to do KOTOR3 since August 2004 and we'd had hopes to start on it after KOTOR2. LucasArts are currently thinking about it, but we'd be really happy to do KOTOR3 if that's what LucasArts wants.

Q: But nothing's been set in stone?

Feargus Urquhart: No.

Archived