Home

The Olympics

RevanA4

since the Olympics are starting tomorrow I'm wondering who is gonna watch them and what parts are they interested in

me I'm pretty much only gonna seriously watch men and womens hockey

and I'm discounting every team except Canada and the US for the gold in Hockey(no offense meant by that)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canada will get it again. No doubt!

We won't win much else though, I don't think. You never know, though.

:eyeraise: what do you mean again?

we traded metals last time.

US mens won the gold, and The Canadan women's team be us for the gold.

I'm gonna have to go with the same results as the last time

I'm a very "girly girl". I'm only going to watch the figure skating.

Call me unpatriotic, but I want Irina Slutskaya to win the gold,

and Sasha Cohen the silver. Michelle Kwan? Maybe bronze. :)

As for the men, I SO wish Alexei Yagudin was going to be in

the Olympics again this year. Unfortunately, he's gone pro.

That DOESN'T mean I'm going to root for his bitter rival,

Yevgeny Plushenko, to win the gold. I'll find someone else.

Am I an American Russophile? Da. You bet your bottom dollarov!

You gotta love the whole idea of the Olympics. No matter what is happening in the world, allies and enemies unite to play sports in a friendly competition.

As for myself, I'll probably follow the luge and skiing. I don't know (nor care) who's favored, but it should be interesting to watch none the less. Go USA! :usa:

Anybody heard about the event "skeleton?" I read about it in Sports Illustrated, it basically requires no athletic ability at all. You just lay on a small sled and go down a hill.

And the funny thing is, one of the athletes on the US skeleton team was banned because he tested positive for a substance that hides performance-enhancing drugs >_>

Primary interests: 1. Figure skating of any flavor (pairs is my favorite) and ice dancing (although I don't think anyone could ever beat Torville and Dean's performance). I don't care who wins as long as they did the best job and don't get the gold because of judges cheating.

2. Speedskating

3. Bobsledding and luge--gotta love something with absolutely no safety devices that is meant to hurtle you down an icy track at 90 mph.

4. Downhill skiing

5. Ski-jump

6. Hockey if the US is in the finals, or if there's a good brawl. :) I actually saw the 'Miracle on Ice' game, so while I generally enjoy hockey, that one's a bit tough to live up to.

I'm going to pass on curling this time. :)

Anybody heard about the event "skeleton?" I read about it in Sports Illustrated, it basically requires no athletic ability at all. You just lay on a small sled and go down a hill.

And the funny thing is, one of the athletes on the US skeleton team was banned because he tested positive for a substance that hides performance-enhancing drugs >_>

Yeah. I heard of the skeleton. If I am in the Olympics I'll be competing in that sport. :xp:

I don't agree with Olympic drug policy. You're disqualified if you test positive for marijuana use. And it's on their list of performance enhancing drugs.

The way I see it, if you win a relay after smoking a few joints, you deserve a ****ing medal.

But enough of that completely random rant, I'm betting Canada will take hockey and come in silver in curling.

oh, this is about the Winter Olympics...

well Canada & Norway need to kick a$$ in something!! This is it :p

I'll definitely watch the hockey though... Hopefully those Maple Leafs will show the US what hockey is all "aboot" :p

After that, bring on the World Cup I say....the greatest sporting event known to man/woman/goat/fish :)

mtfbwya

I'll definitely watch the hockey though... Hopefully those Maple Leafs will show the US what hockey is all "aboot" :p

:confused: Who says 'aboot'?

After that, bring on the World Cup I say....the greatest sporting event known to man/woman/goat/fish :)

True, but those damn dolphines never shut up. :p

I'm not much of a fan of the Olympics, but I always hope that Canada wins gets that gold medal for hockey, seeing as it is one of our national sports. But I might be more interested in 2010.

My opinion on the opening ceremony so far:

I didn't like the very beginning of the ceremony - it reminded me of a bunch of pagans worshipping fire; though I did like the the skaters that were aflame.

The part that had to do with the Alps was cut short by -suprise suprise- ads. :rolleyes:

The segment with the Italian flag was nice, especially the singing.

When the performers acted as one giant airborne skier, that was AWESOME and quite orignal IMO.

The 5 Olympic rings platforms was... interesting, to say the least, though when they erupted in fireworks was cool.

The Parade of Nations was nice as always, though the some of the songs were absolutely dreadful. [/simon Cowell] Why do we have to hear overplayed, cheesy 1970's American songs? But, the thing that pissed me off the most was: Brian Williams, the American commentator. He brought up the Muhammad cartoon controversey and the London bombings when Denmark and Great Britain appeared, respectively. And Iran. And Israel. He only spoke on a nation if it was in the news and controversial. C'mon, I don't want to hear the news all over again at, of all places, the Olympics. :mad:

Archived