Home

V for Vendetta talkback (SPOILERZ)

Zappa_0

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back and thought it was excellent. Highly recommended.

Not entirely sure what to compare it to though... its not really an action flick, or a popcorn flick, or a serious drama.. though it has small elements of each of those in it.

I liked the whole film, and it did kind of remind me of 1984 in places... though not anyhere near as depressing. The music and editing were pretty cool too.

After watching the SW prequels I assumed Natalie had lost her early acting ability and become wooden.. but after seeing this and Garden State recently I've gotta say that she is an excellent actress after all. I thought that Hugo Weaving did excellently with what was basically a voice part, and I also liked all the supporting cast - especially the cops who were after them.

From my point of view (in the UK) it was very refreshing to have it set in the UK an not in the USA for once, and they made it pretty realistic with no stupid dick-van-dyke accents or bad stereotypes.

A few of the political parrallels were a little heavy handed - but on the whole i thought well done for a not-entirely-serious film.

Not sure why Alam Moore had his name removed from the credits - I haven't read the graphic novel (which is suppsed to be great) so i don't know how many liberties they took with the plot - but its sure better than the mess they made of LXG and the averageness of From Hell and Constantine. (side note: Constantine would have been much more interesting if they had kept the UK setting as well, just for a change of setting).

Theres nudity in it, lesbian stuff, plus harsh story lines, also the violence.

I didn't notice any nudity or sex scenes or lesbian sex or anything... did we get a cut version in the UK? There was one lesbian kiss and that was it. A lot less explicit than lesbian kisses you see every day on primetime tv series. Plus a few dead bodies going into mass graves that i suppose may have been naked. A bit of blood in the fight scenes, but no more than any other 12A movie i've seen recently, such as LOTR.

Only thing i can think of that might get it bumped up to R (or 15 in the UK) is some bad language.

I thought it was quite good, as well as surprisingly intelligent. Top-notch acting, even though Natalie Portman's ever-changing accent annoyed me. I haven't read the comic, but as I understand it they made some pretty drastic changes, especially towards the ending.

The ending was also the only part I didn't like, since it got very cliche. Anyways, I think you have to be pretty thick to not get the political agenda in the movie, as it obviously wan't just a 'popcorn flick'.

Controversy is in. I think it's in because most people now love to bitch, moan and groan about every damn thing no matter how big or small it is.

But what I want to know is how this movie is going to be the most controversial of the year. I mean it's only March for crying out loud.

Tho I haven't seen the movie yet cuz it's not showing where I live yet, I doubt about this. I think that the most controversial movie of the year will be The Da Vinci Code.

I can't say it seemed particularly controversial to me... and i live in the UK. Though i guess i'm pretty laid back about these kind of things. I suppose some right wing people might get a bit flustered about it - but i can't say i ever thought "ohh, this is gonna be controversial" when watching it.

DVC might well be controversial in fundamentailist religious countries such as america i guess, though its been pretty much debunked for ages and i doubt the more secular parts of the world wil be that bothered anyway.

Theres nudity in it, lesbian stuff, plus harsh story lines, also the violence. Its worth seeing, the story is just awesome, plus the action stuff.

theres nudity? when?...and what lesbian stuff? i saw this movie like a week ago, and tought it was very good. though was a bit hard to understand some of stuff thast happened to him.

I thought it was quite good, as well as surprisingly intelligent. Top-notch acting, even though Natalie Portman's ever-changing accent annoyed me. I haven't read the comic, but as I understand it they made some pretty drastic changes, especially towards the ending.

The ending was also the only part I didn't like, since it got very cliche. Anyways, I think you have to be pretty thick to not get the political agenda in the movie, as it obviously wan't just a 'popcorn flick'.

^I love it when someone else writes the posts for you.

I saw this last Friday and I loved it. It was both thought provoking and exciting which is a hard combination to pull off for a movie. And people for the love of God let's get this right: actors work under the orders of directors and script supervisors. How she acted in SW was how she was TOLD to act and what she said was told to her and not only that but HOW to say it. Don't blame her for GL f@#$ up.

I'll go if it gets good reviews. The trailer looked pants - but with the people involved it SHOULD be much better than it looks.

The actual story is pretty interesting (just not sure how well it will work as a film) but the guy can't write for toffee. (and since he nicked the story from Holy Blood Holy Grail he doesn't even get credit for that).

Frankly I can't see why its caused all the controversy. Its an interesting idea - made into a fantastical and badly written novel - but its hardly controversial. I've seen numerous books and films based on similar concepts over the years. Big fuss over nothing from the same sort of religious nuts who burn harry potter books for inciting witchcraft.

It's a fairly long movie, clocking in around 2.25 hours long. I never read the comic, but I've heard they did deviate from it a pretty decent amount.

It's still a great movie, I'm going to see it again tonight with a few friends who haven't managed to get to it. I think it'll end up being one of those movies that gets even better with repeated viewings.

What did we exagerate about? Was it about that scene where Natalie Portman stripped down naked and started to make sweet sweet love to that suit of armor? Because I personally think that scene could have been at least 10 minutes shorter. :p

lol. Umm....okay, maybe not so much. It just sounded like you guys said it was like some 18A movie with all the lesbians making love and nudity( which there practically wasn't any). Meh.

I'm gonna have to grab the graphic novel and check it out some time... though i still haven't managed to get around to checking out League of Extraordinary Gentlemen either - which is supposed to be light years better than the pants film.

Turns out that after LXG Alan Moore decided that he was happy for them to pay him money to make films of his comic books, but that he didn't want to be involved or associated in any way. So I don't think he had a particular problem with V, infact he may not even have seen it.

Which would be a shame as it seems like the first decent translation of one of his novels. (Fram Hell wasn't bad exactly - just predicatable and nothing special).

I do have Watchmen at home, but haven't got around to reading it yet. Its generally thought to be the best graphic novel ever apparently.

At the risk of offending the mighty ET, did anyone see Mirrormask? Its another movie related to comic books (though not a direct adaption) and i was really excited to see it when it came out last month - except I never saw a single sign of it in any cinema near me.

Looks like i might have to import the US dvd to check it out.

J

From my point of view (in the UK) it was very refreshing to have it set in the UK an not in the USA for once, and they made it pretty realistic with no stupid dick-van-dyke accents or bad stereotypes.

Totaly agree with you! T'was a grand film, and i heartly recomend it to all

Archived