Home

Alternative Energy Source

Q

OK: We all know that the oil supply isn't going to last forever, and we can't keep polluting the environment by burning oil and coal to generate electricity, so I was wondering what solutions my fellow Ahtonauts are in favor of?

In the short term, I'm an advocate of ethanol production. It's renewable, relatively clean-burning an can be produced from corn, which the US has in abundance. It is also well within the scope of current technology, as automobile engine designs can be modified to run on it at a low cost to the consumer. It would also be a great boon for farmers in the US.

Brazil has already done this (their ethanol comes from sugar cane) and has drastically reduced their dependence on foreign oil importation.

It seems to be a more cost-effective solution than hydrogen fuel cells, at least at present.

I'm also an advocate of nuclear power, and have always envied France and its effcient implementation of this technology, along with their program of nuclear waste recycling, thereby drastically reducing the amount waste actually produced in the end (why don't US facilities do this?).

I want to say that the government has already stated that we don't have enough corn to both feed people with and use it for ethanol. Another possible energy source would be hydrogen, but then I'd pity anyone who got in a crash with that in their engine. So that would probably be too risky to use.

I'd just stick to those resources that are renewable and have a very slim chance of being reduced for a while. Such as Wind or Solar power. Though, it isn't as effective as some resources such as oil, gasoline, etc.

And, I don't mean to say this to offend you in one way what so ever, but I don't think the government really cares to much about it at the moment. There concerns are in other places at the moment.

And, I don't mean to say this to offend you in one way what so ever, but I don't think the government really cares to much about it at the moment. There concerns are in other places at the moment.

They should care. This is a very serious problem. Anyway, I do my best to save all sources of energy. I prefer walking myself, except for places far away (Like School) and I always turn off my Computer, PS2 when I'm not using them. I also turn off lights in the house if I'm not using them.

Another possible energy source would be hydrogen, but then I'd pity anyone who got in a crash with that in their engine. So that would probably be too risky to use.

Hydrogen cells used to power an automobile would be different than those in say... the hydrogen bomb. So chances of a freeway collision causing the destruction of a major city are very small.

It'd mostly just piss the other person off.

They should care. This is a very serious problem. Anyway, I do my best to save all sources of energy. I prefer walking myself, except for places far away (Like School) and I always turn off my Computer, PS2 when I'm not using them. I also turn off lights in the house if I'm not using them.

Your right, they should care. But, they worrry about other things, like the war in Iraq and the issues in Lebanon. Maybe we should take after some countries like the Scandinavian countries.

I always turn off my Computer, PS2 when I'm not using them. I also turn off lights in the house if I'm not using them.

I leave all the lights on in my house 24/7, then I break into my neighbours' house and turn their blender on. :p

I have to say I'm very interested in the ethanol idea, particulary because it can be donw with different plants.

Revan's two cents:

While ethanol is a good starting point it won't be a reliable source of energy, due to the fact that it relies heavily on nature being nice.

I'm more towards Fuel cells for cars, which we can use the most abundant and renewable resource on the planet, Water.

For Residential and commercial power use I suggest working on developing coldfusion. While it will take some time to develop it will be a far greater energy source than any other option to date.

Granted my Ideas are a little ways off it would be a great place to end up.

If you ask me, the U.S. should have a huge tax on gasoline, and said tax should be used for research into alternative fuel sources. But, no politician in the country will do such a thing, because the oil companies would throw all over the place to prevent anything like that from happening.

Hydrogen powered cars would be a good alternative, car companies just need to get bahind the technology. We also need to phase out power plants that fume smoke and pollution.

could use hamsters...

Seriously though when there will be absolute need there will be someone who will think of somethig that can fix that. Besides there are thousands of oil lakes underground, just right now the are too small to gain profit from them. Of course i haven't been a big fan of oil anyways. I don't know much about physics or chemestry so i will stay out of further conversation.

If you ask me, the U.S. should have a huge tax on gasoline, and said tax should be used for research into alternative fuel sources. But, no politician in the country will do such a thing, because the oil companies would throw all over the place to prevent anything like that from happening.

Hydrogen powered cars would be a good alternative, car companies just need to get bahind the technology. We also need to phase out power plants that fume smoke and pollution.

What about people who need to drive to school/work who can't afford to pay for gasoline if it had such a tax placed on it? Should they just stop going or get a job closer to their home (even though they're probably lucky to even have a job in this economy)?

Public transportation? Exercise? Those people should be lucky they're only paying 3 bucks or so a gallon. It is my understanding Europeans pay a whole heck of a lot more. Upward 7 bucks a gallon.

-Not everyone lives/works near where they can get to public transportation.

-An hour drive to work could take several hours to walk/bike to.

-I don't agree with European energy policies either.

I just think a stable power supply should be researched and be able to be used as a viable replacement for gasoline before we start to tax the hell out of gasoline and make it even harder to afford than it is now.

Just a little information here... having repeatedly driven a Hydrogen Fuel-Cell vehicle they are likely the vehicles we should switch to.

To address some of what was stated above... they are actually less explosive than a gasoline vehicle, and at least have a safety system that if something does occur the force is projected away from the passenger compartment. You can't say the same for a punctured gas tank on todays cars.

They are the greenest vehicles around with only pure water being released from the vehicle.

For those worried about performance, being the vehicle has no transmission the acceleration could startle many. All that is different is the starting of the vehicle, it takes a few additional seconds, other than that it drives like a normal car. And for you Fast and the Furious types they are capable of being souped-up like any other vehicle. There will be after market things that come out for these vehicles just like now.

I see it as the only real vehicle alternative.

Archived