Home

Superstitious?

JediKnight707

Is anyone here superstitious? I'm not one of those people that carry around a shrunken skull or anything, but I don't like the number 13, 666, I'm really careful around mirrors, I don't walk under ladders, and stuff like that. Hey, call me paranoid, but my momma always said "better safe than sorry."

I don't walk under ladders because a. I might bump something accidentally and b. things on the ladder could fall down on me. I don't open umbrellas inside because up until about 5 years ago, we lived in apartments with relatively small rooms, and umbrellas would have hit stuff. I'm very practical about my superstitions.

I'm an atheist. If I'm skeptical enough to doubt what most of the world believes in, things like mirrors and ladders causing bad luck are something I'll never be convinced of. Supersticions are just that; superstitions. I found that out years ago, because as a child I grew up with black cats and lived in a house with more mirrors than most.

I don't walk under ladders because it's common sense not too, but I wont lie I have some superstitions. Let's see, I didn't wash my football undershirt all year senior season (only wore it for games not practice), we went undefeated all season, I lost it before our state semi-final game, we lost. I ran over a black cat with a golf cart… don't ask, anyway, I flipped my car 3 times about a week later. Lastly, not really a superstition, but a friend of mine and myself, played with crutches, cut our hair and found a 20$ on the ground all in the span of a week, and we both broke our ankles, mine significantly worse, but still… freaky

Supersition is stupid. Sure, I don't walk under ladders - but that's only because I'm 6'3", and it would hurt like hell. I don't like broken mirrors because I'm afraid someone's going to make me replace it. I don't open umbrellas indoors because... well... it's just stupid. I don't give a rats ass about the numbers 13 and 666. When I spill salt on the table, I wipe it off to the floor and put the shaker down. Supersitions just never made sense to me.

Not really, things like superstition belong in the 16th-century. Along with Religion.

You know, deliberately going out of your way to upset people isn't very nice.

Perhaps you should maybe consider not winding people up? You might come out of conversations with more friends that way ;)

On-topic:

Yes, I'm superstitious. I'm superstitious in that I don't believe in taking chances, and however unlikely some of this stuff might seem, you never know.

It might seem pretty unlikely that things so small you can't see them in a glass of dirty water would be able to kill you, after all. It's true, though.

Edit: Prime already commented....

Superstition--I'm not superstitious per se, but many superstitions have some nugget of originally useful information, like not opening your umbrella inside because you could knock something over accidentally.

When I spill salt on the table, I wipe it off to the floor and put the shaker down.

Humor mode on: You're not the one who has to mop the floors at home, are you? At least brush it off into your hand and put it on a napkin or empty part of the plate. :xp:

I never understood why my mother would throw a pinch over her shoulder 3 times. Since that one doesn't seem to have any practical benefit, I've never followed that one.

Some superstitions like the broken mirror bad luck thing happened because of historical/practical reasons or cost issues in addition to the more mystical reasons. Now, mirrors are supposed to reflect the soul and breaking one could affect your future. However, there was a practical aspect to that--up until relatively recently in history, mirrors were extremely expensive and hard to make. The backs were silvered and the glass was harder to make very smooth, so it took a lot of skill to make a good mirror. Some were worth a substantial amount of money. So, if you broke one, you not only lost an asset, you might not be able to replace it easily, and you might not be able to afford to replace it. So, breaking it was bad 'luck' for that reason as well.

Broken mirrors to me are bad luck only as long as the sharp pieces are still scattered on the floor and thus a possible hazard. Once it's all cleaned up, it's no longer an issue.

Not superstitious at all. I lived with my grandmother till she passed away when I was eight years old and she was extremely superstitious. I don’t know if it had anything to do with her growing up on a Cherokee Reservation as a child, but she had a superstition for everything. It used to drive me crazy to walk around an entire block just to avoid a black cat. It did teach me how foolish superstitions were.

I will admit when it comes to sports I will not do anything to change my luck when I’m on a winning streak. I just prepare the same way before every softball game when we are winning. I still wash the uniform after every game; I’d rather lose than smell.

I'm not superstitious. I don't go around breaking mirrors, because I don't want to sweep up broken glass. Like the Doctor, I don't go walking under ladders, because I'm pretty tall and I don't want to hit my head. When I spill the salt, I'm like "F*** something else to clean." and I own two black cats.

I am not superstitious, but i am seeing number 666 like every two days since like june. Got 666th place in huge bikeriding event, this june was 06.06.06, in random situations (like car numbers). Maybe i am just noticing it, unlike all other numbers, maybe i see 348 even more often, just don't notice it, but yeah, superstition, fortune telling, magic etc. is all bulls*it to me.

I'm not superstitious, but I don't walk under ladder for the same reason as The Doctor.

My family has a black cat, and when the salt is spilled, it's Damn, more mess. If I break a mirror, I have to buy a new one. But if your superstitious, go right ahead, maybe there is something too it.

Archived