Home

And now for something completely different...

Darth Groovy

Sorry I have not been on the boards much lately. I just got back from Dallas on Monday, had a horrible flight. Now since I got back to work, I have caught a nasty cold. Right now I am running a fever, and my sleep is so irregular it's frightening.

Anyways, without getting too out of hand...(Gamestop forbids me to talk too much online about vendor info, however there WERE 5,000 managers at this thing, so I won't be too rediculous about it...) The conference was a blast! All the major video game vendors were there! (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Lucasarts, Vivendi, Middway, Activision, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Capcom, Pelican, Mad Catz, Square Enix, Namco/Bandai, Eidos, THQ, Brady, Prima...etc) Too keep from getting into too much trouble, I'll just keep it on a yes/no basis. So you guys ask the questions, and I will answer them in a yes/no fasion. For example:

"Groovy, did you play the Nintendo Wii?"

Yes!

"Did you love it?"

Yes!

Before you blast me with questions from the Vendor show, I wanted to let you all know that I DID finally upgrade to an XBOX 360! Let's just say that the stuff I got to see and touch at the Vendor show convinced me that it was finally time to upgrade...

I also want to give another shout out too my boys at Lucasarts, who really impressed the HELL out of most of us, with all that you are working on...we are going to see some AMAZING things in the next year from these guys...

Ok, I will now open up to questions, and please be gentle with me, I have a nasty cold, and i'm running a bad fever right now...thanks. :smash:

Can't think of any good questions ATM so I'll just ask the following stupid ones.

Did you hook up with any conferencr/vendor babes that would normally stay away from a place like that like...uh...the opposite of white on rice (couldn't think of anything intelligent) but are being payed the green stuff to be there to let nerds giggle and ogle them?

Or was it the type of thing with booth babes?

The only "booth babe" I would have paid any attention too, would have been the one gothy kind of gal from Mad Catz, who gave us the free Gameshark greatest hits.(only I don't have a PS2, so I gave that to my sister) I only say that, because she was tall, kinda cute, and started up a conversation with me about my Skinny Puppy tattoo. She kind of had that Mia Wallace hair cut thing going on. (I like the weird ones...)

Yeah there were girls there. Microsoft had a cheer leaders that you could get a picture taken with, but I did not want to stoop to the lower level, of the other geeks that were there. I can get chicks on my own merrits....I thank ya...:p

You already asked and answered the questions I wanted to ask. :p

Oh come on IG, ask me if I played Twilight Princess and if I liked it! :)

Did you play twilight princess and hate it? Which version?

Were the cool lucasarts things coming for next year titles we've already heard of? (Indy, Force Unleashed) or are there some other ones in the works?

How's the FPS controls on the Wii coming along? Still jerky turning, or have they finally fixed that? (seems to get a little better each time they are exhibited, but still not great last time).

Was the Wii remote hard to get used to?

Was the nunchuck's motion sensor responsive enough?

Was there anything bad/annoying about Wii that was immediately noticable?

And...

Oh come on IG, ask me if I played Twilight Princess and if I liked it! :)

... Well, did you? :p

Was Smackdown vs Raw 07 (for the 360) at the conference?

If it wasn't, you have to download the demo off XBL. I haven't played a wrestling game since No Mercy on the 64, so if SvR07 is making me excited, it has to be good!

Can you say what games were at the Microsoft/360 area? Was Mass Effect there?

Whats the name of that game on wii where the controller is a sword... i saw a demo of it in gamestation, and i didnt catch the name. I think I might buy a wii just because of that game in itself :D

Red steel.

http://www.redsteelgame.com/

That is the game i'm most looking forward to on Wii, truth be told - that and wii sports. Twilight princess, smash bros, and metroid all look nice too.. but if they get it right then red steel will be the launch title i buy.

@ Groov:

What Wii games did you play?

How did they play?

Could you imagine them being played with traditional controls?

How was Twilight Princess?

Yada yada yada... not that I haven't heard impressions of Nintendo games from a million sources already... but it'll be nice to add yours to the pile since we've been on this forum together for a long time now XD

Before you blast me with questions from the Vendor show, I wanted to let you all know that I DID finally upgrade to an XBOX 360! Let's just say that the stuff I got to see and touch at the Vendor show convinced me that it was finally time to upgrade...

OMGOMGOMG

Did you hear or see anything about:

-Halo 3

-Mass Effect

-Kotor 3

???!!!

Sorry gang, didn't mean to leave you waiting... I got sucked into the 360 dashboard...

Anyways....

What games did I play?

Twilight princess, Wii Bowling, Red Steel, Metroid Prime something..., Gears of War, Lost Planet, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Lumines II, Call of Duty 3, Tomb Raider for the DS Lite...,

I seen live onstage game demos of Gears of War, Indianna Jones, Resistance, Smackdown Vs Raw 2007, F.E.A.R., and Trauma Center for the wii...

So what were your oppinions on them?

Twilight Princess: Amazing graphics, however you have to re-invent your whole way of playing a game due to the Wii control scheme. You slash the sword with the remote, use the thumbstick trigger to move Link. The D-pad selects the weapon of choice. Boomerang is a bitch. Bow and arrow, is tricky, but I got the hang of it. Slashing with the sword was fun and made me giggle. Like I said, learning curve is hard, but worth the effort. And Twilight Princess is good enough reason to own a Wii alone.

Red Steel: Intoxicating! Re-defines the shooter genre.

Metroid: Never got into the Metroid craze. I think this is a strict fan only type of game. The grapple gun makes good use of the wii remote though.

Wii Bowling: Dude...it's just like bowling...and i'm rusty...

Gears of War: Definitely worth having a 360, which is one of the main reasons I upgraded. Most likely will be game of the year for '06!

Lost Planet: Very pretty graphics, definitely fun!

Call of Duty 3: For some reason I only got to do the driving parts which is my least favorite part of the CoD games, but it's every bit as good as the first 2.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon: Plays just like Deception, looks alot more impressive though.

Lumines II: Unless you have played Lumines on the PSP, you won't understand the addiction. Think of Tetris with an attitude!

Tomb Raider DS: Not sure what I think about this one. Controls were hard for me to get used too. I'm not too crazy about the DS really.

All the onstage demos I saw looked quite glorious. Of course they would...

Pretty sweet, Groovy. So, how did the live action demo of Indiana Jones look like? Like does it look like the game is going to be any good?

Kind of hard for me to judge such an early build of this game. The demo we saw was more to demonstrate LucasArts' grand physics engine which simulates real world materials such as glass, wood, metal...etc. Basically, in Indinna Jones, the big deal is that nothing will ever happen the same way twice in the game. So if you throw a thug through glass, it will break in the direction you through them in. Most video games, have these piece as cut outs, and will always break the same way. This engine is designed to simulate the way an object or enemy would react. The onstage demo we saw looked pretty, but it appeared that the AI was either not there yet, or broken. The bad guys just kind of wandered around or stood there...

Again, too early to say what I think, and not fair to LucasArts. That game is a way off yet.

Also, The Force unleashed game (and corrisponding E-3 trailer) that you all speak of, is not really a game being developed yet, but rather a concept trailer for the new engine that was green lighted by George Lucas himself. However, they DID tell us that a game WILL be developed at a later time. We also saw that trailer on stage again.

Archived