Home

Diego Varen

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having actually used real (not just the euphemistic one, Ray :xp: ) swords of varying sizes, I can tell you from experience that bigger swords have more mass, and thus they really are slower. It takes a lot more force to move a great sword at the same speed as a foil, for instance, even if you're swinging down (you typically move the sword faster than gravity can). The advantage the longer sword has is that if you hit someone somewhere around the end of the sword it does more damage because a longer sword creates more torque. It takes longer to move a bigger sword, but the extra mass and length allow it to do more damage when you do hit.

Your sword-fighting lesson du jour. :)

@Ray below--I was thinking more along the lines of jmac's and CSI's post than yours. F=ma (Force=mass*acceleration), so you increase the mass, you increase the Force. You don't want to make the sword too wide though, or it gets too unwieldy to use, plus you lose the torque advantage (T=Fd, or torque=force*distance from center). So if you have the same force applied, the torque is twice as high when you get twice as far from center (fulcrum). In our non-choreographed 'fighting' we use fake swords (made out of rattan). The fighters aren't allowed to bring the 2-handed swords behind their head--the maximum arc that the sword can move is 90 degrees because if that big of a sword gets moving too fast, it can cause some pretty big injuries if you get hit by the very end of the sword.

I said *same* velocity. :xp:

E=mc². Higher m with same c means higher E means higher *slash*.

Oh, and heavier mustn't mean longer, it can be broader and shorter, for instance, that means you need less or same torque to handle it. Still you'll need more strength to lift and hold it up. But that is why you should always drink your milk! ;

^Has a very classic photo in his signature.

I said *same* velocity. :xp:

E=mc². Higher m with same c means higher E means higher *slash*.

Oh, and heavier mustn't mean longer, it can be broader and shorter, for instance, that means you need less or same torque to handle it. Still you'll need more strength to lift and hold it up. But that is why you should always drink your milk! ;

Ray Jones, no offense meant, if you don't know what that formula means check before you speak...E=Energy, M=Mass, but C? C=Velocity of Light in vaccum...

I don't think anyone can wave the sword in light speed, can he/she/it?

I think that formula should be: K.E.=1/2mv², where KE=Kinetic Energy, M=Mass, V=Velocity.

And I think the second statement is also wrong:

Because t=rF, which t=Torque, r=Radius Vector, and F=Force exerted, which means, under the same Force, the longer the sword is, the bigger the torque is...The width of the sword has nothing to do with the torque...

Therefore, if Force is up, but the radius vector is down [because of the scenerio=Heavy but short sword], it doesn't necenssarily represent bigger torque...

I might be wrong, and I'm happy that someone would correct me. Thank you.

Right it should be v substituted for c, but why not swinging the sword with c? But still, the explanation and principle of what I said stands, and I think I fully understand what that formula means, 'coz I'm really deep into physics and maths. And I also said that a heavier sword must not be longer, it can be shorter and still be heavier, when it's broader or made of different steel/material, one with higher density. The width of a sword is relevant to torque too, as is has an influence on the mass, which again correlates to torque. :)

^

Blond guy needs more practice in defending against knife attacks. :)

If you have equal mass, a long, thin sword exert the same amount of force as a short, wide sword. However, the amount of torque created at the end of the longer sword is greater than the shorter one, since the tip of the longer sword is farther away from center.

Gives me a bad impression of what Ray must be like IRL due to slicked back blonde hair in his avatar.
Dude. Don't you know that this is just caught in motion? Even the dumb know Henry's hair is so totally non-slicked-back, not even the slightest bit slickerish. :/

but do not hesitate

ray_0602261210.png

nourish your bad impression

Archived